Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Results of bore slugging on .44 Henry Carbine...

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Results of bore slugging on .44 Henry Carbine...

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Aug 05, 2021 1:57 pm

Well the lead bore slug measures .431 on my .44 Mag Carbine and the Missouri Bullets cast 240 gr. "K" bullet is .430 to .4305.
For better accuracy a .432 sized cast bullet would be the best. The MB bullet is supposed to be 18 on the hardness scale so possibly when fired with the faster 1500 FPS load I use 18.5 gr of 2400 it just might be bumping up in size just enough to better engage the rifling and with no leading issues.

Now none of my loads as tested in my Range Report had any signs of leading but the loads under 1500 FPS were not as accurate and did have a keyhole hit .

Will shoot the 18.5 gr. of Alliant 2400 load as minimum with cast bullets from now on and see how they continue to perform. Save the milder loads for revolver use which have the .429 bore. Now will also shoot more of my 240 gr. Hornady XTP bullets which are .430 and see how they group.

I wonder what the "Go...No Go" limits are on Henry's barrels?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

fortyshooter
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Results of bore slugging on .44 Henry Carbine...

Post by fortyshooter » Thu Aug 05, 2021 2:24 pm

I called Henry and they told me to fill out the warranty form describing the issue and if OK'd they would replace the barrel with the new 1 in 20 twist and hopefully a tighter bore. Don't know if they make them at .429 but that would be the way to go if I was making barrels for .44 caliber!
1 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:29 pm

do you know when they switched over to the 1 in 20 barrels :?:
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:14 pm

Don't know Jim, as they changed mine out last year, when the mag tube ripped lose.
I called the next day when I got mine back, and asked which one they had installed.
They had no idea which they had used, told me how to check for myself.
Don't know if they really had no clue or just too Lazy to check.
Either way I wasn't happy and it actually left a bad taste and I'm not sure that I'll be looking at any more Henry rifles.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012