Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

How to remove bolt from new side gate BB models

gregw72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

How to remove bolt from new side gate BB models

Post by gregw72 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:43 am

I've seen this question posted several times on the net and never saw an answer: how do you remove the bolt from the new Big Boy Side Gate models. I have 2x Henry Big Boy Steel in the non side gate version and all you do is remove the lever, hold the hammer back and pull out the bolt and ejector. Not so on the new 357 Mag side gate that I have. The hammer will not go down far enough to allow the bolt to come out. My new 44 Mag Henry Big Boy Steel Side Gate in 44 Mag does come out properly. My 7 other Marlins come apart just like my non side gate Henry's too. I really want to clean the bore better than with a bore snake as I am using lead and do not want to clean from the muzzle. Conversely, I do not want to have to take the gun apart to get the bolt out. I am comfortable taking Marlins and Henry's apart to the last bolt, but would prefer not to. It seems Henry left too much meat on top of the hammer to me.
Last edited by gregw72 on Thu Jul 29, 2021 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: How to remove bolt from new side gate BB models

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:37 am

That's odd – My 45-70 side gate bolt removal is as easy as the older tube loader .357
They must have changed the hammer shape or is there no channel in the bottom of the bolt so it all slides out?
I just researched the other complaints and wow there are a lot. Hope they fix this issue. Some say live with it but I really like having the bolt coming out the back without taking the whole gun apart. Henry will definitely fix any and all problems though.
0 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

gregw72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gregw72 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:48 am

I hope you are right. Just got the gun and was going to clean it before taking it to the range. I've started a warranty claim. It took a LONG time to get both the 357 and 44 Mag Big Boy Side Gates due to COVID. I sure hope their CS department is not backed up.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:55 pm

I'm emailing my guy there and he replied pretty quick but added the non-side gate video. I asked him to physically grab a side gate big boy in .357 or .44 and get back with me and he will within a day or so. I have my sights on a x model and they are doing the same thing from what I've read.
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:22 pm

Here's the response...

If you were to have a problem removing the bolt from your side-gate rifle, you would be able to send the gun back for our repair shop to inspect and repair under warranty.

To file a claim, please go to our website and file a new warranty claim by following the instructions there to create a new request:

https://www.henryusa.com/henry-warranty/

As soon as we are able to approve your claim, a prepaid UPS return-shipping label will be generated and an email sent out with it to cover the cost of shipping the rifle, which includes insurance. You will also receive another email with an HWS claim # and shipping instructions.

Please note: Due to local and federal COVID-19 virus condition restrictions, and resulting delays, there is a considerable backlog of claims and inquiries that we must work through. As a result, UPS labels and servicing may take longer than normal until the public health issue is resolved.

We ask for your understanding in these unprecedented times and sincerely apologize for the inconvenience. Your patience is greatly appreciated.

Kind of generic responses but at least it's covered for the life of the rifle. Gotta love that.
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

gregw72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gregw72 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 2:55 pm

Cool. Thanks for that info. It's encouraging they know they have a problem and will fix it. Waiting for my claim to be approved.
0 x

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Kissmybrass » Thu Jul 29, 2021 4:08 pm

Please contact me and lemme know how that all went :-)
0 x
H010G 45-70
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

leverjc
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by leverjc » Thu Jul 29, 2021 8:12 pm

I wonder how the factory installed the bolt in the first place. When I reassemble my BBS after disassembly for cleaning I always slide the bolt in last.
1 x

gregw72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gregw72 » Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:06 pm

If you watch the Henry video on how to disassemble and assemble your ride, the bolt and extractor are the first things to go in. Next is the lifter and bolt block, then the whole trigger group with hammer. Last is the hammer spring and stock.
0 x

gregw72
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by gregw72 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:55 pm

Got the rifle back and Henry replaced the hammer. Now the bolt comes out as it is supposed to.
5 x