Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Received great 45-70 feedback from Henry

Kissmybrass
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Received great 45-70 feedback from Henry

Post by Kissmybrass » Wed Jul 21, 2021 3:38 pm

Monkeying with my H010G rifle I thought I'd try to put 5 rounds in (through the tube, not the side gate) and they fit without seeing them in the loading cut out. Was kind of surprised they all went down and disappeared. Don't know why the max capacity was 4 so I wrote Henry...

Here's what they said:

Thank you for owning a Henry rifle.

The engineers selected the 4-round mag capacity to work with the size and weight of typical .45-70 cartridges, which are quite heavy under recoil. The magazine design was made strong enough for 4 rounds, but the weight of 5 under recoil forces would begin to damage the mag tube and support. redesigning for 5 rounds would add extra weight and bulk to the rifle.

.45-70 cartridges have a very pronounced rim at the base of the shell, which may catch the edge of the inner (brass) magazine tube during insertion into a loaded magazine. .45-70 rounds are also relatively heavy.

If your rifle’s lever pops open and/or has other loading/feeding problems during or after loading, there is a simple technique to prevent this.

When loading the magazine, let the rounds slide down the tube at an angle, instead of dropping them vertically. Then, stand the rifle vertically on its butt while you insert the brass inner magazine tube, and turn or twist it in during insertion into the loaded magazine. This will allow the edge of the brass tube to slip over and past the cartridge rims and relieve the excess pressure on the spring, which can happen if the tube edge catches the rim of a cartridge in the magazine.

You can see this technique described and demonstrated in our H010-series videos, https://www.henryusa.com/henry-instruct ... odel-h010/ (look at the Loading video).

This guy replied within 24 hours :-) Unreal customer commitment! So happy to own a couple Henry's!
2 x
H010G 45-70
H006M Big Boy Classic .357
Sig 320 XCompact
S&W 686 Plus 5"
Rem 870 Tac

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Received great 45-70 feedback from Henry

Post by jstanfield103 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:48 pm

My first Henry 45/70 always popped the lever open no matter what you did unless you just loaded 4 rounds. This new one that I have never any problems even when loading more than 4. I would have thought that if it really damaged the magazine tube ( especially being thicker than Marlins magazine tube with the brass insert tube. ) They should have put a plug into the magazine tube so you could only load 4. No one is only going to load 4 if it holds more. I have not had any problems with mine as of ye, but I have not shot a ton. Also me just thinking, it's a 45/70 it's going to be a heavier gun. So a few, very few more micro ounces does not make since to me.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small

Centaur
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Centaur » Thu Jul 22, 2021 7:24 am

I will try that loading technique with my H009. The lever on that gun tends to open when loading. Interesting.
0 x

Slugnut
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Slugnut » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:37 am

Henry, has great CS and products. You can't beat it ! Thanx for sharing that informative info.
0 x

Steve51
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Steve51 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:29 pm

My Henry 45-70 steel version was one of the early models (3600). The recoil would damage the loading tube. After replacing two loading tubes on my rifle and probably many others, Henry re-designed the barrel and loading tubes. They had me send my rifle back to the factory to be refitted. I have never had a problem since. Mine is not a side gate model but has always held 5 rounds in the tube without opening the lever.
0 x
H001, H001L, H004, H001TM, H001TLB, H006, H010, H012M, H012GR
NRA Member, GOA Member, ISRA Member, ILCCW

jstanfield103
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by jstanfield103 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:20 pm

There you go then, nothing to worry about with the later models. I really think they only say 4 rounds due to the lever opening up when you are pushing the magazine tube in. Side gates I don't know if there is anything to worry about.
Just a guess though and probably a bad guess at that.
0 x
Aim Small, Miss Small