Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

An issue with my Long Ranger

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

An issue with my Long Ranger

Post by Ogur » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:12 pm

Hi! Long time since I posted anything here. I came across an issue with my Long Ranger in 308 today at the range. I was training for the coming hunting season and when I cycled the rifle after 10ish shots it wouldn't lock ip. So I looked and thefiring pin was stickong out of the back end. I already contacted my "local" swedish dealer, but thought I'd ask here if this is a known issue.

The rifle was bought in 2019, new, and put 300/400 rounds through it. Norma Jaktmatch and S&B FMJ mostly and some Norma Alaska (hunting)rounds.

Seems like a small pin has sheared off holding the bolt internals in place. Can't find any schematics though.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Ogur
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Re: An issue with my Long Ranger

Post by Ogur » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:17 pm

Photo of the pin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:31 pm

I understand that Henry discourages an owner from disassembling the action due to its complexity and with possible issues with mis-timing the gears, but that they WILL send you a disassembly procedure .pdf if you request one.

https://www.ssusa.org/articles/2020/5/ ... aintenance

Do you have that document? That might be a good second step, but I suspect that the rifle will have to go back to your Swedish distributor for repair, or even back to the USA if they can’t swap in a new bolt assembly. I hope the repair does not impact your hunting season, do you have a backup rifle? Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:09 pm

I hope so too. No backup in class 1 sadly. I might get in a 7x57R/12ga combination gun in before that but that is far from ideal. July 1st is the start of the new hunting year. Hunting season proper starts in august, with september 1 the start of moose hunting, the most important season around here. I found a disassembly video on the henry website, but it doesn't cover the bolt. Just the rest. Hopefully I'll hear from the desler tomorrow. See if that legendary henry warranty holds up.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Mon Jun 28, 2021 6:37 pm

so far as I know, its not a widely known issue .... sure hope your distributor is able to provide quick assistance
0 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:04 am

What would you call the little pin though? Makes googling a bit easier if you know what you're googling. Still haven't found any info yet. The disassembly video will let me take out the whole bolt, so if the distributor has a spare they can (assuming laws allow) send a replacement. Or they need to take it in and swap it out.
0 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:27 am

Well, heard back from the dealer. They only have a 1 year warranty and he say the henry guarantee doesn't apply outside the US. He did explain how I can replace the pin myself, so now I sent a mail to Henry for part specs and a schematic, plus a few sour words on their advertising. Nice to be left hanging like that, 6 weeks before hunting season kicks off. Hope I can get it up and running at least.
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:36 am

Ogur wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:27 am
Well, heard back from the dealer. They only have a 1 year warranty and he say the henry guarantee doesn't apply outside the US. He did explain how I can replace the pin myself, so now I sent a mail to Henry for part specs and a schematic, plus a few sour words on their advertising. Nice to be left hanging like that, 6 weeks before hunting season kicks off. Hope I can get it up and running at least.
I’m sorry that you are unhappy. The “USA only” warranty is unfortunate, but hardly a secret. You do have to scroll down a little on the online warranty page for their exclusions.

E2AA618A-3594-4C65-90D8-10665AE7D5E7.jpeg

I am curious, does Henry advertise in Europe websites or printed publications, and if so, do those mention a warranty? I am a little surprised that they would not offer to replace your bolt assembly with a new one, if you agreed to pay shipping charges both ways. Those would not be high for that small part. Have you called or emailed Henry USA about that? I think they would want an engineer to examine your failed bolt pin to prevent future failures.

Good luck.

John Davies
Spokane WA
0 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:34 am

Henry doesn't actively advertise here as far as I know. Also, not many places you can advertise for weapons. I've contacted Henry and we'll see what they say. Assuming there are no special material qualities to the retaining pin I should be able to get a hold of a spare easily enough.

Sending a new bolt assembly isn't that easy here. It's considered a vital part of the firearm, so you need to bring it in personally or jump several hoops to ship it. Which can take weeks. Since the dealer is 800 km away driving in is just as expensive as shipping it. So best fix it here myself. Beats knife hunting brown bear and moose. Though that would up my man card a few grades. Nice to put on my gravestone in front of the words: "Here lies Ogur. Or what's left of him anyway."
3 x

Ogur
Wrangler
Sweden

Post by Ogur » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:54 pm

Just received an answer from Henry. They'll send me a replacement pin. Can't give me the specs on it so I can buy one locally because I'm a foreign national. That's fair. Well handled of them. Now I hope to get me a moose. Or bear. Or both. Assuming the postal services don't mess up. They can be rather slow here.
0 x