Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Odd Duck Caliber....but my favorite for over 3 decades.

tex41mag
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Odd Duck Caliber....but my favorite for over 3 decades.

Post by tex41mag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:28 am

I've been a lover of the .41magnum caliber since I was first introduced to it over 30 years ago. I looked for Smith & Wesson revolvers in that caliber but always seemed to miss the sale. I had never really owned or shot a gun in that caliber but after reading about it I was very interested. I found out that Ruger was coming out with a large frame double action revolver called the Redhawk and a buddy of mine told me I really needed one after shooting his single action Super Blackhawk. I went to my local gun store and placed my name on the list to get one when they started shipping. a little over a year later they called me and said a Redhawk came in. I went down and when they pulled it from the case, it was a Stainless 8.75".......in .41magnum. It seems as though the purchasing guy made a mistake. Anyway they could see I was a little disapointed so they made me an amazing offer that included a box of ammo. Since I wanted to use this gun for handgun hunting, and it already had rings that fit slots in the barrel rib I took the gun, added a 2x Leupold Handgun scope and the love affair with this caliber began. I always wanted a companion rifle to go with the revolvers ( I have 3 now) and when I heard that Henry made two different ones, I started looking. Earlier this year, my sons found a Big Boy Carbine in .41 mag and presented it to me. I was a very happy Dad to say the least. It's a bit flashy with the brass receiver but I really like the octagonal barrel. I really like the accuracy of this gun especially when shooting the Hornady Leveroution rounds. Since I've been handloading for almost 30 years for this caliber I'm really interested in trying other loads as well. Here is the gun and ammo.
3 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Odd Duck Caliber....but my favorite for over 3 decades.

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:38 am

No odd duck to me. Been a lover of the 41 mag for years myself. Actually my favorite round. Glad you joined we need more 41 mag talk here. Here is my Henry 41 Mag
IMG_0624.JPG
I also own a Ruger Blackhawk 4 5/8 barrel and a Freedom Arms Model 83 7 inch barrel in that caliber. Try 17.5 or 18gr of 2400 with a Hornady 210 HP
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

tex41mag
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tex41mag » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:46 am

Very Nice BigAL,
If I had bought mine I would have gone for the same model you have with the longer barrel and blued receiver, but it was a gift so I will never change what I have. I also really like the leather bullet wrap on the stock. Did you make that yourself?
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 am

Longhorn Leather in Az made that cover for me. He does great work but is back logged now so far its a long wait for one.
https://www.longhornleatheraz.com/
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Metonto
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Metonto » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:58 pm

I too have the 41 disease. Started with a blued Redhawk 5.5. Then a S&W 57. Added a Blackhawk thinking that would be the cure. Last spring I found a Henry BBS . Passed on it and then heard Henry was going to discontinue the 41. Fortunately when I went back 2 weeks Iater it was still on the rack. Brought it home and just love it.
1 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:07 am

Welcome to the forum, I to like the 41 mag. Have had a BH with the 6.5" barrel for many a year.
Always wanted a Marlin to go with it, but never got one.
Then when Henry came out with one I jumped on one.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 am

41 mag fanboy here.....

Started with an S&W M/57 back in the 90’s, had a Marlin 1894 FG 41 mag and also an S&W M/657. Foolishly traded or sold them all off. When I heard earlier this year that Henry was going to discontinue the Big Boy Steel in 41 I just had to pick one up as my LGS had a couple on hand. Just picked up some Hornady bullets in 41 so once my summer chores are done I’ll be hitting the range again. :D

9BD75ECD-E875-4BD1-8AA1-DD8D29DF0D79.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:55 am

You may want to try Mason Leather in Plano, Tx. He says in a E-mail a couple of days ago that he shipping @3-4 weeks and he is having a 25% sale on everything. His stuff is top notch and he can personalize any item he makes. I have 2 butt shell holders a Henry and a Marlin 1894. I'm pleased with them. Good Luck.

Muddy Waters 67
0 x

tex41mag
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by tex41mag » Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:21 pm

Thank you Muddy,
I'll look into them!!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:14 pm

tex41mag wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:28 am
I really like the accuracy of this gun especially when shooting the Hornady Leveroution rounds. Since I've been handloading for almost 30 years for this caliber I'm really interested in trying other loads as well. Here is the gun and ammo.
Another .41mag fan here. Blackhawk and Henry Carbine. I prefer the Underwood XTP for hunting. It's faster, and with much better consistency than the Hornady 190 LeveRevolution . I verified this with a Chrono a couple years ago out of my Henry. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to produce any for nearly a year due to supply issues. But, you could sign up for an email notification when they get back up to speed.

https://www.underwoodammo.com/

Hornady 190gr LeverRevolution

Underwood 210gr XTP

0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.