Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Flash hider for 009X....

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Flash hider for 009X....

Post by geezerjohn » Mon May 10, 2021 12:18 pm

As I may have mentioned in a posting elsewhere - I’ve been looking for a reason to use the threaded muzzle on my new (first:) Henry. Can’t go the suppressor route because I reside in ILL-Annoys :(

Just for giggles, I contacted Henry for a source, as I could find nothing online. Their response....

>>Henry R. A. C. does not manufacture or sell muzzle brakes, and unfortunately, we have no specific information about them.

For more specific information and advice about muzzle brakes, please contact the muzzle brake manufacturer, a knowledgeable retailer or shooting equipment supply store.<<

So - does anyone know of a source for a .30 cal FLASH HIDER (NOT a muzzle brake)??? TIA

geezerjohn

PS - They also responded to my observation of the tension on the loading gate - which as a newbie to lever guns, I thought was a bit high:):):)
Their response was to send it back in if it bothered me!!!!! For those with experience with other 30-30s, does YOUR Henry 30-30 seem a bit much???? Again - TIA
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Flash hider for 009X....

Post by John E Davies » Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 pm

Not a flash hider, but this accomplishes much of the same effect, it redirects the muzzle blast forward to reduce perceived sound level for the shooter and it also is nice for anybody at the range who is right next to you. Muzzle brakes suck IMHO. It is not super useful for a long rifle barrel, but for an X it works great. I have one on my BBX .44 Mag and also on a Kel Tec SU-16C 5.56 NATO 16” barrel. I plan to buy one for my 10/22 Take Down stainless to make supersonic ammo hearing safe, but I am waiting for a stainless version, which may be coming in the near future. It is just under an inch in diameter, you might need to grind away some material on the bottom for clearance of the mag follower nut. But it might work for a .30/.30 barrel without that. Or you could just use that sidegate😬

Plus these are made in Kansas not China!

38FBB56E-CA2D-4055-BC13-29D73C38E820.jpeg

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Kaw-V ... 08-blk.htm

Pics and info about my BBX installation …. https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic ... aw#p142556

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Mon May 10, 2021 6:59 pm

Thanks!!!!
>>... you might need to grind away some material on the bottom for clearance of the mag follower nut. But it might work for a .30/.30 barrel without that.<<

I was onboard until the grinding part:(
Has anyone tried this device on a 30-30 Henry???? Does it “fit” without alteration?

Other devices/suggestions for my 009X 30-30 - something that won’t void the warranty on either the gun or the device:)????

TIA

geezerjohn
0 x

jrc111
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by jrc111 » Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 pm

Re: loading gate spring tension

I tried the pencil-in-the-loading gate trick on my H012X - 45 Colt (reputed to work on Rossi R92’s) for a week; didn’t help. Removing and reinstalling the loading gate and hourglassing the leaf-type spring ~20% using copious water cooling on a belt sander did.
0 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Mon May 10, 2021 11:15 pm

jrc111 wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 9:27 pm
Re: loading gate spring tension

I tried the pencil-in-the-loading gate trick on my H012X - 45 Colt (reputed to work on Rossi R92’s) for a week; didn’t help. Removing and reinstalling the loading gate and hourglassing the leaf-type spring ~20% using copious water cooling on a belt sander did.
Thanks! Will give that a try once I order a back-up/spare or three - in case I fubar things:)
BTW - I know some companies are reluctant to sell parts to individuals!
I’m hoping/assuming Henry is not one of those companies????

geezerjohn
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am

geezerjohn wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:59 pm
Has anyone tried this device on a 30-30 Henry???? Does it “fit” without alteration?

Other devices/suggestions for my 009X 30-30 - something that won’t void the warranty on either the gun or the device:)????
You can contact the manufacturer to ask if anyone has successfully used any of their several muzzle devices on a .30/.30 Henry. The owner is very responsive, he justifiably does not like folks to alter his parts. Maybe he could be persuaded to come out with an octagonal version (with lots of flats) for lever guns, that design would require a crush washer for indexing, like on an AR muzzle break. It would be a whole lot less elegant but functional. …. https://www.kawvalleyprecision.com/Default.asp

You have a very good point about your Henry warranty, if you blow a comp off the end of the barrel and bugger up the muzzle, you are completely on your own for a repair. Fortunately it is long enough that it could be cut down slightly without turning it into a SBR.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Last edited by John E Davies on Tue May 11, 2021 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am

And while we’re on the topic, KVP states.....

< NOTE: PLEASE INSURE PROPER BORE/COMP ALIGNMENT PRIOR TO FIRING THE WEAPON. CONTACT A LOCAL GUNSMITH IF YOU ARE UN-ABLE TO PREFORM AN ALIGNMENT TEST. >

What all is involved with this??? Doable by an owner?

geezerjohn - also a comp newbie:)
0 x

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Tue May 11, 2021 12:17 pm

geezerjohn wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 11:45 am
< NOTE: PLEASE INSURE PROPER BORE/COMP ALIGNMENT PRIOR TO FIRING THE WEAPON. CONTACT A LOCAL GUNSMITH IF YOU ARE UN-ABLE TO PREFORM AN ALIGNMENT TEST. >

What all is involved with this??? Doable by an owner?
KVP wants to ensure that the barrel threads and/or the center of the bore are not off-center, which is usually not a problem with a major gun manufacturer, but a DIY thread job by a local machinist might be out of alignment enough to cause a bullet strike. (FYI the threads should be cut concentric to the actual bore hole, not to the outside diameter of the barrel.) Using a fresh (unscarred) drill bit the same size as the bore diameter and inserting the shank (NOT the pointy end) into the bore gently will show if it is aligned correctly. A little wiggle is OK, just make sure there is an equal amount of clearance all around the bit. Your barrel "should" have a 0.300" inside diameter.

Screen Shot 2021-05-11 at 9.06.36 AM.png

A 19/64" drill bit is the closest, it is 0.297". ... https://www.engineersedge.com/drill_sizes.htm

A iayer of vinyl electrical tape (without any overlapping) around the bit will make it a snug fit in the bore and keep it "round". I am no gunsmith, however I am an A&P technician, and that is how I would do it. The one on my BBX .44 mag linear comp is for up to .45 caliber guns, and a .44 bore is a significantly smaller (0.422") so I did not bother checking with a rod.

If your gun fails this test, there is either a problem with the part KVP sent you, or with the rifle muzzle itself. Both these scenarios are very unlikely IMHO, but you don't want to find out there is a problem using live ammo at the range..... If it fails the rod test, take both parts to a gunsmith for him to inspect, so you can resolve the issue, either a new comp from KVP or a new barrel from Henry.

John Davies
Spokane WA
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 pm

Thanks!
Basically trying to prevent the comp equivalent to baffle strike.

geezerjohn
1 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Tue May 11, 2021 6:29 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 10:09 am
geezerjohn wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:59 pm

You can contact the manufacturer to ask if anyone has successfully used any of their several muzzle devices on a .30/.30 Henry. The owner is very responsive......

You have a very good point about your Henry warranty, if you blow a comp off the end of the barrel and bugger up the muzzle, you are completely on your own for a repair. Fortunately it is long enough that it could be cut down slightly without turning it into a SBR.

John Davies
Spokane WA

I contacted them, and received the following......

<I have not seen any feedback from 30-30 customers. You are correct though in your generalized concern about magazine tube fitment.>

So - for now this device goes to the back burner while I look for similar devices that are somewhat thinner, and fit the X:)

Thanks all!!!

geezerjohn
1 x