Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Buck & Ball drill....

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Buck & Ball drill....

Post by geezerjohn » Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:02 pm

AKA - another newbie Q:)
Please keep in mind that I picked up my 009X two days ago, but have no dummy rounds or live ammo. So - I’m dead in the water for the foreseeable future:(

If you’ve taken tactical shotgun training, you were probably taught how to remove a buckshot round from the chamber, and replace it with a slug (for increased distance or penetration) - all the while keeping the mag tube loaded with buckshot for follow-up tactical application, and not triggering a double-feed malfunction:). (This “buck & ball” drill varies based on the type/brand of shotgun.)

My question - can you do the same with a centerfire Henry lever gun?
Example: I have 6 rounds (5+1) of 160 gr LeverEvolution loaded in my 009X, but want a round of 190 gr Buffalo Bore “Heavy 30” in the chamber instead because a rogue polar bear is nearby:)
Is this a doable maneuver? If so - how?
TIA

geezerjohn
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Buck & Ball drill....

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 pm

Cant you chamber the Buffalo Bore round first the load the others behind it down the tube.
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:25 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:07 pm
Cant you chamber the Buffalo Bore round first the load the others behind it down the tube.
You certainly could, but the whole premise behind the b&b drill is to assume you already have it loaded with one type of ammo, but quickly need another type.

At what they charge for Buffalo Bore ($70/box!!!), I won’t be loading/shooting much of it:)

geezerjohn
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:49 pm

I don't know how quick it would be but you could open (I didn't say remove) the magazine tube and point the barrel down to where the shells in the magazine move a bit away from the receiver .... eject the one in the chamber .... load a single round through the ejection port .... point the barrel up and lock magazine tube back in place ... :?:
2 x

geezerjohn
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by geezerjohn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:30 am

Nice thinking!

geezerjohn
0 x

Oksrt
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Oksrt » Sat May 01, 2021 5:15 pm

Just load one short in mag, then you can load other round in gate and cycle action.
0 x
I love all God's creatures, some are better with gravy.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat May 01, 2021 7:43 pm

Oksrt wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:15 pm
Just load one short in mag, then you can load other round in gate and cycle action.
if your Henry has a side loading gate, Oksrt's suggestion would be far better than mine .... none of our Henry rifles have loading gates so that never crossed my mind ....
0 x