Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Jammed before I could even fire it - SOLVED

Llew Taranau
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Jammed before I could even fire it - SOLVED

Post by Llew Taranau » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:28 pm

Bought some Tipton snap caps for the brand new .357 Silver Boy. Loaded them in the tube, Went to work the lever and it jammed on the lifter. Can't move the cap, can't budge the lever which is in the fully open position. Other than "get thee to a gunsmith," any suggestions?
Last edited by Llew Taranau on Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
"I ain't fast, but I'm as inaccurate as the next guy."

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Jammed before I could even fire it

Post by JEBar » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:55 pm

pull the magazine spring and release the tension ... you might be able to free up the stuck snap cap
0 x

Llew Taranau
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Llew Taranau » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:00 pm

Tried that, follower all the way out of the tube. Must’ve caught on the downstroke; wasn’t even working it that vigorously. But it’s damn sure stuck.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:01 pm

I'm assuming you unloaded the tube? I'd just take it apart, remove the stuck snap cap and clean and lube it per:

https://www.henryusa.com/own-a-henry/he ... -boy-h006/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Jerrysea
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by Jerrysea » Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:16 pm

Is the lever in the position that you can remove it and then remove the bolt. If so you may be able to get to the snap cap and remove it.
0 x

Llew Taranau
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Llew Taranau » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:37 pm

Tried starting by removing the lever but it seems to be under tension as the screw wouldn't come out enough to release it. I don't have a set of good drivers for this (they're on order from Midway) and don't want to bung up the finish (or any innards) so I'm hesitant to get in too far over my head. If it was a cheap import job I wouldn't be so reluctant, but I just dropped $1900 on this bad boy and don't want to make it worse.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:48 pm

Llew Taranau wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:37 pm
Tried starting by removing the lever but it seems to be under tension as the screw wouldn't come out enough to release it. I don't have a set of good drivers for this (they're on order from Midway) and don't want to bung up the finish (or any innards) so I'm hesitant to get in too far over my head. If it was a cheap import job I wouldn't be so reluctant, but I just dropped $1900 on this bad boy and don't want to make it worse.
I understand your reluctance. I'd suggest calling (not email ) Henry CS when they open tomorrow, before taking it to a local smith - who will charge you, and who may not be familiar with Henry rifles. Most these days are good with black rifles and semi-auto pistols, not so much with lever guns.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:21 am

Ditto on what GunnyGene said.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Llew Taranau
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Jammed before I could even fire it - SOLVED

Post by Llew Taranau » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:54 am

Thanks to all, especially GunnyGene. Called Henry and the young lady knew what had happened even before I finished my first sentence. LOL

Easy fix: release the tension on the inner feed tube, remove one screw to get the lever out, shake until the snap cap falls out.

Mission Accomplished, as some halfwit frat boy once said.
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Jammed before I could even fire it - SOLVED

Post by GunnyGene » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:38 pm

Llew Taranau wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:54 am
Thanks to all, especially GunnyGene. Called Henry and the young lady knew what had happened even before I finished my first sentence. LOL

Easy fix: release the tension on the inner feed tube, remove one screw to get the lever out, shake until the snap cap falls out.

Mission Accomplished, as some halfwit frat boy once said.
Glad you got it fixed. I suspect it had to do with the very light weight of snap caps, which really aren't designed for tube feed firearms. I had a similar problem several years ago with mini shotshells in a pumpgun. If you just want to exercise the trigger mechanism I suggest putting one in the chamber and leave it there. Instead of working the lever and cycling snapcaps from the tube, just cock the hammer manually.
2 x