Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger Accuracy

Usafa71
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Long Ranger Accuracy

Post by Usafa71 » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:52 pm

Thinking of down-sizing my rifle battery to simplify my life. At the age of 73, not sure how much hunting I will be doing, but definitely want to keep shooting! I would like input from those who have the Long Ranger. What caliber, and what kind of accuracy you are getting? I reload so that can easily influence accuracy, and for all around use, thinking of 308, 243, or 6.5 Creedmore(already have 308 dies for my AR-10). If the first one shoots well( 1-1/4” groups or less consistently for multiple 3-shot groups) then one in 223 would be next. While I have several bolt guns, I really prefer my lever guns in 30-30, 35 Remington, and 41 Magnum, so the Long Ranger(s) would allow me to stay with the same operating system. Appreciate any input you would care to offer!
0 x

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger Accuracy

Post by NHshtr » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:04 pm

I have the Long Ranger in .243 Win. (got it in November) and with my reloads I'm getting .8" - .9" groups. I'm not sure that will apply across the board, but you'll probably get the same from another caliber Long Ranger since you can tune your loads and the Henry construction methods most likely apply across the different calibers they produce.
The .243 Win and 6.5 Creedmoor have a lighter recoil than the .308 Win. (which I also shoot a lot) and are pleasant to shoot for a day at the range.
Good luck on your choice.
0 x