Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A 3rd Henry

DWD445
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Recoil

Post by DWD445 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:34 am

JEBar wrote:I'm thinking in terms of our 8 year old grandson .... we are giving him one next month for his birthday .... I've never allowed him to shoot a rife larger than a Ruger 10-22 .... having read several comments about the Henry357's mild recoil, I was just wondering
That's AWESOME !! :D He'll be 9 then ?? He should LOVE it !! ;)
0 x
NRA - DW wheelguns - H012S - Oh CCW

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:59 am

DWD445 wrote:
JEBar wrote:I'm thinking in terms of our 8 year old grandson .... we are giving him one next month for his birthday .... I've never allowed him to shoot a rife larger than a Ruger 10-22 .... having read several comments about the Henry357's mild recoil, I was just wondering
That's AWESOME !! :D He'll be 9 then ?? He should LOVE it !! ;)

he will turn 8 on Sept 18th .... if bought between birth and the baby's first birthday, in NC you can buy a Lifetime Sportsman Hunting and Fishing license for $100 .... we have given one to each of our grandchildren .... he can't hunt on his own until he passes the Hunter Safety Course and, I believe, turns 16 .... he can hunt with his Dad and I anticipate that happening either this fall or more likely the fall of 2017 .. basically when he demonstrates the level of safety and proficiency that we feel is necessary ....
2 x

steelersfan97
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by steelersfan97 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Non-existent and even less when shooting 38 special.
0 x
H006M, H015-223

JEBar
United States of America

Re: A 3rd Henry

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:16 pm

after much thought, I've decided to fit our Grandson's birthday gift Henry 357 with a scope .... we have a half dozen other rifles that have iron sights for him to fire .... since there is a chance he may deer hunt with his father this fall, we have decided to give it to him fully equipped to hunt with .... the scope is a 3 X 9 Nikon that, over the years, has become my favorite scope .... I've taken more game using it than with any other scopes we own .... I just took it off of our Henry 44 Mag, it needed no adjustments for it to be mounted .... I hope to get out sometime next week and sight in the scope .... looking forward to seen how the 357 handles .... in time we will purchase a replacement scope for the 44
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:26 pm

JEBar, I hope you take pictures and videos from every angle when this amazing birthday gift is given to the young hunter! Well done, sir.
1 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:21 pm

Good idea, nice of you to add the scope and I am sure that he will enjoy it.
1 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 01, 2016 4:39 pm

Deadwood Dutch wrote:Good idea, nice of you to add the scope and I am sure that he will enjoy it.
I first used that scope on a Browning BLR 308 .... later when I moved to hunting square mile farm fields from Texas type tower stands, I moved it to a 300 WBY Mag .... I actually had a much more powerful scope in the closet but gave the nod to the 3 X 9 Nikon and never regretted it .... from there it went to a Henry 44 Mag .... it has a scratch or two on its finish but it is crystal clear holds its zero .... it took a while to talk myself into letting it go .... my hope is the stories his Dad will tell about shots he's seen made using that scope may make the combo a bit more special to our grandson
0 x

Steve
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Steve » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:20 pm

It's a great gift, with some thought behind it. Your Grandson will love it.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:36 am

steelersfan97 wrote:Non-existent and even less when shooting 38 special.

couldn't stand it any longer, went out in the back yard and fired 3 38 special rounds .... as anticipated and hoped for, recoil more than a 22 but not by much .... I don't have any 357's on hand, looking forward to firing some so as to determine the difference
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 02, 2016 1:17 pm

in a phone conversation with our son (Jacob's Dad), I found out he has some of our full power 357 hunting rounds in one of his bags near our gun fault .... went in and easily found 3 rounds .... with rain from Hurricane Hermine coming down I kept looking at Jacob's rife and then out at the rain .... I swear that after a while I say a letup in the rain so I picked up the rifle and went out side ... turned out I was wrong, there was no letup .. :roll: .. being wet already it seemed logical to go on and test the hunting loads .. :oops: .. quickly fired all three and paused only long enough to pick up the empty casings .... really wasn't out that long but a change of shirt was in order .... thought about it as I sat giving the rifle its thorough cleaning .... as anticipated, the recoil from the 357's was markedly heavier than from 38's .... I find that how it felt is hard for me to put it on a scale .... one thing for certain is it is lighter than any hunting rifle I've ever owned .... about the best I can come up with is similar to that of a 243 I had a chance to fire a good many years ago ... our grandson weighs about 72 lbs so what he would feel would be considerably different than it was for me .... we will start him out on 38's (once we get our reloading equipment back in operation it will be on lightly charged 38's) and up him to 357 sometime prior to our son taking him hunting .... I hope to get some pictures of his reaction and of him firing it
1 x