Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A 3rd Henry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

A 3rd Henry

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:26 pm

NOTE : related content has been merged into a single thread .... consequently, some info may be duplicated

we are currently spending some time in South Dakota and today we got some good news .... our oldest grandson's 8th birthday falls in mid September .... about a year ago our son asked me to begin teaching his son (our grandson) to shoot .... since then we have worked up from a Red Ryder BB rifle to a 22 and he has done well .... so far, I've never allowed him to fire a rifle that would kick him .... as a result, he has no fear of recoil, doesn't flinch when he pulls the trigger, keeps his eyes open and his cheek down on the stock .... he will eventually be given his father's Ruger M77 308 carbine that I had the stock shortened when we gave it to him .... I'm convinced that it isn't time to move him up to Ruger, rather that it is in his best interest to first transition to a centerfire with minimal recoil .... our son has a Ruger GP100 357 and we have everything necessary for reloading .... today I received a call from our local dealer that a customized Henry Big Boy Steel H012M we had him order has arrived .... it will be equipped with a large loop lever and has been given a custom serial number of our choice .... we chose "Jxxxx2016" (x's substituted for letters in his first name) .... I want him to begin firing it with open sights but do plan to at some point in the future (probably Christmas) will mount a 2.5 X 12 Nikon on it .... for now, it will belong to our son who will turn it over to our grandson sometime in the future when he proves he is ready .... I won't get to see it until we return home during the middle of next month .... am looking forward to it and will post pictures
8 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Re: A 3rd Henry

Post by RetiredSeabee » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:22 pm

That is fantastic, you are the best Grandpa ever!
1 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:54 pm

kind words appreciated but don't know that they fit .... as is no doubt the case with most folks, we try to do what we can for our kids .... can only wish we could do more
2 x

Tyler4656
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Tyler4656 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:46 am

Congrats!
0 x
In God we Trust!

Deadwood Dutch
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Deadwood Dutch » Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:00 am

That is really great news! How very kind of you.I started my grandson out when he was 11 with an old Springfield .22 single shot, iron sights, of course. He took the hunter safety course and I wrote down my own set of about 10 safety rules and spent hours with him at the range. The club where I belong has closed membership since it reached 1000 members, so my son will have to wait a while if he wants to join, but I have taken him and the grandson as guests. My son, who is 44 has been hunting since he was 14. So now at almost 14, my grandson has moved up to a Remington model 700 youth model .243 with a scope.
3 x
U.S. Navy ⚓️ 1965-1969 - NRA Member - Henry H004, Henry H001

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:08 am

congratulations to you and to your family .... to us passing on family traditions is very important .... the time you spend with your grandson will shape both of your lives and strengthen the bonds that hold your family together
0 x

White Squirrel
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by White Squirrel » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:19 pm

That is a great gift for your grandson, JEBar.

Nothing better than leaving that legacy.
0 x
Henry Frontier .22LR

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:23 pm

Jebar,
That custom made Henry rifle with his name and date as a serial number will be a treasured heirloom that will carry your memory into his great grandchildren's lives and beyond. Awesome. Simply awesome. Congratulations. It's priceless.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:38 pm

Congrats to grandpaw.
I'm wanting to do something very similar for my two grandsons.
Their sn's will be their initials followed by date of birth.

Way to go, hope you share a pic.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:39 pm

our son picked it up today .... he took it to our home where after looking at it and taking the following pictures, he placed it in the safe .... in short, it looks like a Henry .. :D .. according to our son, a very good looking Henry .... fit and finish are flawless .... we are scheduled to be back home in just over 3 weeks .... looking forward to seeing it in person and even more to seeing the look on our grandson's face when he opens it on his birthday
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x