Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Some questions about the Long Ranger

carlesque
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Re: Some questions about the Long Ranger

Post by carlesque » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:41 am

JEBar mentioned "Browning came out with it in large production in the '60's". I originally thought that the long ranger's action was brand new. Interesting to hear it's been around for so long. I wonder why it never caught on. To me, it seems like it has virtually all the advantages, along with a faster (and just way cooler) action, it should have largely replaced the bolt action.
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:08 am

carlesque wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:41 am
I wonder why it never caught on. To me, it seems like it has virtually all the advantages, along with a faster (and just way cooler) action, it should have largely replaced the bolt action.
one factor is the complexity of the gear movement in lever actions with rotary bolts .... the gear timing is critical and its next to impossible to find someone who hasn't been trained by Browning to work on the action .... having been in use for 50 years it does seem a bit remarkable that our BLR's action has never been taken apart and cleaned .... the bottom line is, its action is still I exceptionally smooth .... if/when it should ever need service, I'll find a place to have it taken care of .... I tend to believe but have no direct confirmation that it will be much the same with the Long Ranger .... our folks who have them are in a far better position to answer that question .... as to popularity, folks who prefer lever actions make up a relatively small part of today's market
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:22 pm

Sako made a levergun for 308, 243 etc. several years ago. I believe that it was a turning bolt design. Don't forget the Savage 99 was made in 284, 22-250 and all of the 308 family of cartridges. I have one in .358 and I like the rotary magazine with the round counter. Also with the rotary magazine there is nothing to lose.
0 x

Michael-AZ
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Michael-AZ » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm

This is an old thread, but I will post a question update here because it's relative to what's been asked. May also start a new question thread because I don't see it when I search.

I just a Long Ranger (6.5), and I am also interested in a higher capacity magazine - maybe 10 rounds. I have no concerns about interference. First, a 10 round clip is not going to extend very far beyond flush. Second, supposedly the lever does not travel as far on the Long Ranger. Unless it is a bananaclip that extrudes backwards, I can't see a magazine interfering.

With that in mind, have any of you Long Ranger owners (especially 6.5 owners) found a slightly higher capacity magazine?
0 x