Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Long Ranger in 308

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Long Ranger in 308

Post by North Country Gal » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:35 pm

Gene, I agree with Tom. For deer hunting, you don't need an AO. An AO or SF is great for precision target work for shooting groups or varmint hunting for small rodents where parallax error is enough to cause a miss on such small targets, but deer are another story. My problem with an AO or SF in the field is that you can inadvertently put the setting on the wrong yardage and then put much more parallax error into your shot than with a fixed focus scope. Not worth a wounding shot or even a complete miss on a trophy buck. For deer hunting, I much prefer to keep things as simple as possible. Old fashioned me doesn't even like ballistic reticles when hunting. That's me, though. Each to their own.

As for magnification, this isn't the wide open spaces of the west. This is Wisconsin north woods and farm country. The good old 3-9x or similar still works great. You can never go wrong with Burris or Leupold.
1 x

TraderVic
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by TraderVic » Wed Feb 08, 2023 6:08 pm

I've been hunting deer in Wisconsin my entire life (I'm 69 now). I was a hunter safety instructor for 31 years. As has been stated, it's a very subjective question.
I typically recommend a quality optic of 2-7x, sometimes less depending. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for, "when you buy quality you only cry once". FWIW, there are good choices out there, these days I prefer Leupold.
I've helped a number of individuals over the years who struggled with accuracy and most of them had cheap "crap" on top.
Once you set your rifle up, try different brands of ammunition (the best you can in these times) to determine what your rifle likes. For a 308 whitetail load, I recommend you consider 150 - 165 gr loads.
Best wishes...
Vic
1 x

NHshtr
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by NHshtr » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:12 pm

Lots of good suggestions made. I'll throw in one more.
Among your considerations, check out the Burris 2.5-10x42. I hunt the NH woods and have one mounted on my .44 Henry carbine. When still-hunting I'm on 2.5x and seldom find a higher mag necessary. Iron sights for still-hunting are probably best, but being beyond middle-age, iron sights are a blur for me. You can always crank it up if watching a field or being up in a tree.
1 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:43 pm

Bought 2 Burris drop tines 3-9x for my 30-06's and love the ballistic reticule. You will also love the price. Consider a single shot Henry in 44 mag as it is a good brush gun and so easy to carry. and good for umder 100 yds without a scope too.
0 x

DeathValleyMike
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by DeathValleyMike » Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:21 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am
I don’t really have a suitable deer hunting rifle after selling most of my collection before moving to Wisconsin. I’ve been searching for a Long Ranger but haven’t stumbled across one. I think I need to wander into my LGS and order one.

I would order one without sights and put a scope on it to cover 25 to 100 yards. I doubt I would take a shot beyond that. If I was in the Big Sky Country of Montana I might think different. What scope would you recommend?

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
I ordered a sighted Long Ranger in 308 Monday. Problem is that I don’t know when it will get here.
I put down $250 for them to order and the balance when it arrives.
I wanted the sighted version because I don’t plan on a scope yet.
I’m gonna go True Glow on it like I did my Big Boy 44 and see how it works out.
I may end up getting a scope, but don’t really want to.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 11, 2023 8:36 am

DeathValleyMike wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 2:21 am
Sir Henry wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am
I don’t really have a suitable deer hunting rifle after selling most of my collection before moving to Wisconsin. I’ve been searching for a Long Ranger but haven’t stumbled across one. I think I need to wander into my LGS and order one.

I would order one without sights and put a scope on it to cover 25 to 100 yards. I doubt I would take a shot beyond that. If I was in the Big Sky Country of Montana I might think different. What scope would you recommend?

https://www.henryusa.com/rifles/the-long-ranger/
I ordered a sighted Long Ranger in 308 Monday. Problem is that I don’t know when it will get here.
I put down $250 for them to order and the balance when it arrives.
I wanted the sighted version because I don’t plan on a scope yet.
I’m gonna go True Glow on it like I did my Big Boy 44 and see how it works out.
I may end up getting a scope, but don’t really want to.
My eyes require a scope and doubt I would shoot one with iron sights. I have plenty of rifles I can shoot with sights.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:27 am

DeathValleyMike wrote:
I ordered a sighted Long Ranger in 308 Monday. .
Congrats indeed .... if I was ordering a rifle today it would be a Long Ranger 308 .... looking forward to your coming use impressions and range reports .... be sure to add it to our How Many thread
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:56 am

JEBar wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 9:27 am
DeathValleyMike wrote:
I ordered a sighted Long Ranger in 308 Monday. .
Congrats indeed .... if I was ordering a rifle today it would be a Long Ranger 308 .... looking forward to your coming use impressions and range reports .... be sure to add it to our How Many thread
I need to add a congrats too.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater