Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Dropped the Big One

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Dropped the Big One

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:35 pm

We have two oaks on the front corner of the yard near the pasture fence. One had begun to lean for a couple reasons, erosion of the small hillside and Tina suspected that the tree was beginning to die. An ice storm, heavy winds, or tornado could take the tree down and it WOULD take out that paddock / pasture fence. The firewood guys who cleaned up the range said they would be Happy to take it down.

They said they take down the four lines of barbed wire, would pull up the fence posts, pull the wire back into the paddock, drop the big boy and cut it up, then replace the fence. How long? An afternoon and the following morning. Sweet. Here is a look at the tree leaning... She's a big 'un. :shock:

01 leaner on the corner.jpg
01 leaner on the corner.jpg (397.39 KiB) Viewed 356 times

They got busy, and within an hour or so, were ready to start cutting. The young man knew his bidness, and cut his notches, cut a deeper notch, cut in from the lean side and then from the safe (er) side and then cautiously added depth to the back. Cut, wait. Cut, step back and wait. Cut, and step back and ... Loud Groan..and she went. Exactly where they planned. It is hard to tell from the picture exactly how big the tree is, but both of the men in the pic are OVER six feet and the one man is six plus and about 250.

02 It was a big un.jpg
02 It was a big un.jpg (465.54 KiB) Viewed 356 times

Here, I had Miss T stand by the tree at the stump... it's a very big tree. The sister tree is staying, provides a nice shade to the front yard and all the acorns fill the front yard with deer. :lol: The deer drive Fiona nuts.

03 Tina for scale.jpg
03 Tina for scale.jpg (469.5 KiB) Viewed 356 times

Once cleanup is done, I'll post another pic. Tina helped them load the big 18 - 24" logs on their trailer with the tractor. They were rolling them up a wooden ramp. :twisted:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Dropped the Big One

Post by daytime dave » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:48 pm

That is a job that I'll bet you are glad they did. I wouldn't want to tackle that one.
It's sure a big one.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:06 pm

The guys were back this morning and got the logs loaded and the fence was back up. It's nice and tight and they cleaned behind themselves. Stacked the debris and Tina has run it to the brush pile in the north pasture. The small stuff laying in the paddock will be mulched with the bush hog. They even started to rack away the ruts along the edge of the roadway from the trailer but Tina told them she would smooth those with the tractor bucket when the ground firmed a bit.

They will be back on Monday to address the stump... and the one on the range. :)
04 logs loaded and fence back up.jpg
04 logs loaded and fence back up.jpg (516.92 KiB) Viewed 345 times

Another good job in my book.
2 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 10, 2024 6:28 pm

nicely done .... looks like you've found a good outfit to work with ....one never knows when it could come in handy
0 x

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:02 pm

That made a big thump when it hit the ground!
We had a crew take out some trees a couple years ago. The largest was a tri trunk poplar. They used a crane and took it down in three sections lifted over the house.
They cut it as close to the ground as they could. It measured just shy of six feet across at the base.
B4B16D4A-FC46-45B2-A904-6684551DA53E.jpeg
B4B16D4A-FC46-45B2-A904-6684551DA53E.jpeg (1.65 MiB) Viewed 331 times
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:06 am

That's a bigger 'un!
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:33 am

I had a guy take down a big elm tree a few years ago, leaning and too close to my house to fall all at once. No crane and looked kind of scary but he knew what he was doing and had no problems.

If you want to see a big elm in a residential area being taken down watch this video, long but interesting. At the end where they are loading the bottom section into a trailer really gives you an idea of how big the tree was.

https://vimeo.com/81240461

Then there's this one. The guy was either very good or very lucky or likely both good and lucky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYrNXVdZq7Y
0 x