All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Water/No Water

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:32 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:46 pm
Sorry for all the issues Mark hope it all works out and isnt to terrible on the pocketbook. One thing I always do when I leave my house for a period of time is turn off the water to the washer and turn off the ice maker line on the fridge. Dont need any water running upstairs with a basement.
Thanks Al, Hind sight is 20/20 right? I will remember to do that in the future.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:34 am

720’ of galvanized pipe, that’s got to be a load. Maybe a bit inappropriate but the old expression “when it rains it pours” certainly applies to your situation right now. As Dave said, the cost of labor probably will trump the cost of the pump.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:17 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:34 am
720’ of galvanized pipe, that’s got to be a load. Maybe a bit inappropriate but the old expression “when it rains it pours” certainly applies to your situation right now. As Dave said, the cost of labor probably will trump the cost of the pump.
Exactly right Hatch. The pump was a 2 wire 1.5 hp and the cost was right around $1600.00. The rest was labor which was about $2000.00. Actually better than we were expecting. They got here at about 9:00 AM and finished at about 1:00 PM. Pretty fast work. They DID know what they were doing.
The bad part is that they left over 700 ft of heavy galvanized pipe in the driveway. Said they could not take it because they had nowhere to put it back at their shop. :roll: I was able to contact through local referral, a guy who is going to come by tomorrow afternoon to haul it away...whew! Don't yet know how much $$ he will want.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:54 pm

BigAl52 wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:46 pm
One thing I always do when I leave my house for a period of time is turn off the water to the washer and turn off the ice maker line on the fridge. Dont need any water running upstairs with a basement.
Also sorry to hear of all your problems, sometimes when it rains, it pours.

When we leave the house now, we have been shutting all the water off. That way there is no chance of anything happening. We also have an Icemaker, but once I saw that flimsy hose that came with it, I said forget it. We'll make our own ice, lol. Same thing with our new dryer. It came with some kind of steam feature. Flimsy hose again. I don't need anything starting to leak while we're sleeping or out in the yard somewhere. If the Fridge (spare) or Dryer was in the basement with a sump pump I wouldn't mind, but right now they are both on the main floor.

Just my 2 Cents, lol.
1 x
NRA Member

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:58 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:17 pm
I was able to contact through local referral, a guy who is going to come by tomorrow afternoon to haul it away...whew! Don't yet know how much $$ he will want.
Do you have a pick-up? You could haul it to the scrap yard and make a few bucks.
0 x
NRA Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:40 pm

markiver54 wrote:
The bad part is that they left over 700 ft of heavy galvanized pipe in the driveway. Said they could not take it because they had nowhere to put it back at their shop. :roll: ...
Curious what kind of new pipe they used to replace the old?
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:42 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:58 pm
markiver54 wrote:
I was able to contact through local referral, a guy who is going to come by tomorrow afternoon to haul it away...whew! Don't yet know how much $$ he will want.
Do you have a pick-up? You could haul it to the scrap yard and make a few bucks.
Yes, I called the local metal recycler. They said they would give $7.00 per 100 ft. I wasn't interested in the money. I just want it out of here. They said they would take it but would not pick it up.
No p/u truck could carry 20' long pipes, especially as heavy and long as they are. Hoping the local "hauler guy" comes tomorrow.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 10:44 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:40 pm
markiver54 wrote:
The bad part is that they left over 700 ft of heavy galvanized pipe in the driveway. Said they could not take it because they had nowhere to put it back at their shop. :roll: ...
Curious what kind of new pipe they used to replace the old?
They replaced the galvanized with some new grade of PVC rated for that depth. He said, THEY only use galvanized for over 800' depth.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:24 am

markiver54 wrote:
Hatchdog wrote:
Exactly right Hatch. The pump was a 2 wire 1.5 hp and the cost was right around $1600.00. The rest was labor which was about $2000.00. Actually better than we were expecting. They got here at about 9:00 AM and finished at about 1:00 PM. Pretty fast work. They DID know what they were doing.
The bad part is that they left over 700 ft of heavy galvanized pipe in the driveway. Said they could not take it because they had nowhere to put it back at their shop. :roll: I was able to contact through local referral, a guy who is going to come by tomorrow afternoon to haul it away...whew! Don't yet know how much $$ he will want.
That's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I was thinking more like 5 to 10 grand. Did that include the cost of the new pipe?
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 8:56 am

dave77 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:24 am
markiver54 wrote:
Hatchdog wrote:
That's not nearly as bad as I was expecting. I was thinking more like 5 to 10 grand. Did that include the cost of the new pipe?
That's about what we were expecting too, so the price was a relief. It occurred to me after I posted though that it was a verbal quote from the installer, and I don't yet know how much was the cost of the PVC pipe. he said his secretary would be emailing a receipt. Hopefully it will have itemized pricing. After we receive that, I will post again. Hopefully no surprises. :roll:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry