Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New pup

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Cattle Driver
Australia

New pup

Post by 220 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:24 pm

Picked up an 8 week old Kelpie pup yesterday.
Struggling to decide between a bitch or dog, ended up looking at the litter and picking a black and tan dog.
Just liked the personality it displayed, not as outgoing as a few of its brothers and sisters, would sit back and observe things for a little bit before deciding to jump in. Certainly not timid as once he has made up his mind he is all in.
A bit of a run around the yard this morning and time for a sleep, seems to have settled in :lol:

Might take him to the farm latter in the day and see what interest he has in sheep, way to early to start any real training on livestock but a little exposure wont hurt. Will pretty much be just obedience training for a few months before we start with livestock.
4 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: New pup

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:20 pm

Very cool. Congrats! Looks like he's gonna be a big boy.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:27 pm

We have a dog that I swear is a kelpie mix of some kind. I could be wrong but everything I've read sure matches her character. Congratulations on your new addition.
Jake
Attachments
Daisy.jpg
Daisy.jpg (126.5 KiB) Viewed 2137 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:43 am

We have been lucky with dogs, but have been unlucky a few times when we tried rescues as well.
Glad you found one that seems to fit. Good luck with the new working dog, I'm sure the rest of the team will help train him. Ours always did. ;)
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:27 am

thanks for introducing me to a breed of dog that I'd never heard of .... doubt I'm the only one so I looked it up and found the info below :

"The Australian Kelpie is a lithe, active dog, capable of untiring work. He is extremely intelligent, alert, and eager with unlimited energy.

As a herding dog, the Australian Kelpie is intensely loyal and devoted to duty. He has a natural instinct and aptitude for working in sheep, whether it be in open fields or enclosed yards. This breed originated from Collie type dogs imported from Scotland, but was developed to withstand the harsh heat and dry conditions of the vast open spaces of Australia."

please post updates and pictures as you bring him along and put him to work
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:53 am

Note to self: DO NOT SHOW MRS. HATCHDOG THIS PICTURE. :lol:

My wife is talking about getting a second dog. Her heart will melt if she sees this pic. Very nice and what a good looking pup. Thanks for sharing.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:17 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:20 pm
Very cool. Congrats! Looks like he's gonna be a big boy.
17lbs at present and from the size of his feet a lot of growing yet, both his parents are on the larger size for kelpies so expect he will stand at least 20" tall once he finished growing.
Shakey Jake wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 5:27 pm
We have a dog that I swear is a kelpie mix of some kind. I could be wrong but everything I've read sure matches her character. Congratulations on your new addition.
Jake
She certainly has similar head and face to most kelpies
BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:43 am
We have been lucky with dogs, but have been unlucky a few times when we tried rescues as well.
Glad you found one that seems to fit. Good luck with the new working dog, I'm sure the rest of the team will help train him. Ours always did. ;)
The dog the pup is asleep on is a rescue dog my son has, claimed to be a terrier cross but doubtful given the size and markings are very similar to an Aus red cattle dog.
JEBar wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:27 am
thanks for introducing me to a breed of dog that I'd never heard of .... doubt I'm the only one so I looked it up and found the info below :
Quite a popular breed in Aus but like a lot of breeds has almost become 2 separate breeds once people decided to start showing them, keeping them as pets, moved away from the working traits they were developed for and started breeding for appearance. The working lines place very little importance on appearance, and you will see working kelpies of almost every colour. The black and tan like my boy is the most common and then red or tan but you will see blue, cream straight black and just about every other colour combination.
Hatchdog wrote:
Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:53 am
Note to self: DO NOT SHOW MRS. HATCHDOG THIS PICTURE. :lol:

My wife is talking about getting a second dog. Her heart will melt if she sees this pic. Very nice and what a good looking pup. Thanks for sharing.
We have 3 here currently, 2 of them we have been baby sitting for our son while he has been deployed overseas. We lost our labrador 4 months ago at 12 years old. Our jack russel terrier is 18YO this year. The Lab was 18 months when we got here so this boy is the first pup in 18 years, You could say the wife is spoiling him :lol:
1 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:10 pm

Had to move some sheep Sunday, had rain early so a bit slippery for 4wd or bike and the quad is currently being repaired.
Did it on foot and took the pup, very happy with him, walked at my side for nearly a mile, constantly watching the sheep but happy to stay with me. Wife gave me a hand and once they were closer to the yards and in a mob, the pup would run around the outside of the mob to my wife behind them, walk with her for a bit then run back around the mob to where I was on the side of the mob and walk along with me for a bit.
Didnt try to chase them and moving between the two of us kept about 5y back from the mob.
Just what I was hoping for with him, interested in the sheep but not overly excited by them, should make training a little easier. A lot of pups seem too keen and excited and just want to chase anything that moves. Think it should be much easier to encourage him than trying to rein in any over exuberance.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:36 pm

Great; sounds like you're off to a good start with him. 👍
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:44 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:36 pm
Great; sounds like you're off to a good start with him. 👍
Yeah real good, would like to get some basic obedience done before we try too much with the sheep. Just sitting, healing etc but a bit of exposure to sheep wont hurt. Wont even think about putting him near cattle until he is probably 12 months old.
0 x