Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

New pup

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Cattle Driver
Australia

Re: New pup

Post by 220 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:58 pm

Had the pup around the yards most of yesterday. Similar to earlier in the week and quite happy to be under my feet not overly concerned by the sheep and not really trying to work them.
Got his first introduction to cattle and they freaked him out Was setting up a few things in the yards prior to getting sheep in and a mob of cattle walked up to the fence 20y away to check out what was going on, pup was under my feet whimpering, whining and barking. Picked him up and carried him over to the cattle so he could have a closer look. Settled him down and he wasnt worried about them after that.
Made sure I had the sheep penned so if the pup was under my feet there were no sheep in the yard with us. He is quite happy to stay by my side or have a bit of a camp under the ute outside the yards. Proving to be quite sensible for a young pup, with sheep in the yards between the ute and me he would walk around the outside of the yards to where there were no sheep before coming in.
Still doesnt have a lot of confidence but not a bad thing in a pup, should prevent him getting hurt.
Under the ute seems to be his safe space and he is a bit more confident, was letting them out of the yards in small lots as I finished with them, a few times a couple would graze right up to the ute. When the pup couldnt use eye contact to get them to move he would bark. Wasnt worried about chasing them just enough barking to get them to move a bit further away and settle down again.

Was struggling to come up with a name, he was black boy when we picked him up being a male pup with black collar. Has been taking a liking to some of the wife's flowers so she has substituted bastard for boy a few times :rofl: so BB it is, might be what she gives him if he keeps at the flowers :rofl:

Like most pups finds a way to get himself into trouble, a few limping sheep so wanted to put them through a zinc footbath, was using the floor of my weight crate as a flat surface to sit the scales on and mix up and he decided he could squeeze through the bars. Buggered if I could get him out forward or back but he managed to extract himself eventually.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Jan 19, 2023 3:19 pm

Great update 220. 😁
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Apr 03, 2023 2:11 pm

Bit of an update on the pup, I took on a bit of work that meant I was 800miles from home and it stretched out to over 7 weeks. Got home to find my pup was no longer a pup. He will be a big boy once he finishes growing,
Wife and daughter had been taking him to the farm once a week or so just to keep up the exposure to livestock.
I have been home for a week and he has been at the farm almost every day with me. Still showing good instinct to work although at nearly 5 months he is sort of like a teenager a bit lost as to what to do at times and listening is optional.
Still he is more help than hinderance the majority of the time, super keen to work livestock with good instincts. Gets a bit overwhelmed with bigger mobs of sheep but with smaller lots he is doing better.
Had a few escapees the other day so let him have a run at them, the herding instinct is stronger than the instinct to just chase them.
Gathered them together nicely and when one sheep came out of the mob towards him stomping and trying to chase him away he just stood his ground.
4 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Apr 03, 2023 5:52 pm

Good deal. Nice to have the help.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:38 am

Awesome, a working dog is such a treat. I used to hunt an area that was open range and a guy ran his cows there. Used to watch him on horseback with his healer round up cows. So impressive.
0 x