Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Mini Chainsaw

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Mini Chainsaw

Post by graywolf » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 pm

Since I have DeWalt drivers and drill, I looked at their 12" saw. I have a Stihl pole saw and 14" chainsaw with easy start. As long as the easy start works, I'll probably keep using it. While researching the mini saws, I read some reviews here and there, and read couple posts where folks used reciprocating saws with pruning blades. I bought a pack of pruning blades at HF over the weekend. I'm gonna see how it works out.
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:32 pm

graywolf wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 pm
Since I have DeWalt drivers and drill, I looked at their 12" saw. I have a Stihl pole saw and 14" chainsaw with easy start. As long as the easy start works, I'll probably keep using it. While researching the mini saws, I read some reviews here and there, and read couple posts where folks used reciprocating saws with pruning blades. I bought a pack of pruning blades at HF over the weekend. I'm gonna see how it works out.
Hey, I guess there's a reason they are also called sawzALLs.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:03 pm

graywolf wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:26 pm
I also have a Hackzall reciprocating saw and use the shorter coarse tooth demo blade for some pruning while using the Mini Chain saw for the larger limbing.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:52 pm

we figured when we ordered the above Mini Chainsaw that it would be something we wouldn't use often and we were right .... earlier today our youngest son brought his manual telescoping pruning saw to cut a half dozen 4 to 6" diameter pine limbs that overhung our driveway and the state road in front of our house .... those limbs made it very difficult, at times impossible, to get our 5th wheel camper and/or his boat with a Bimini​ Top in and out of our driveway with out coming in contact with the limbs ..... it only took a few minutes to determine that using his manual blade would take us hours and considerable effort to do the job ..... I came up with the idea of taping our Mini Chainsaw to the end of his extension pole and he made it work .... with moving and placing a step ladder it still took us about an hour ..... the job really worked the mini chainsaw, fully pulling down both of its batteries .... as a side note, I was pleasantly surprised find both of those batteries were fully charged when I opened the case .... not bad for having been there for about 14 months .... the picture below showing driving out of our driveway .... the large pines on both sides of the entrance had limbs hanging down over the both the driveway and street .... the are all gone now
Attachments
240210 001 limbs cut 001.jpg
240210 001 limbs cut 001.jpg (167.32 KiB) Viewed 230 times
2 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:11 pm

Have a couple of cordless chainsaws, a 18v 10" bar version and a 36v with 14" bar.
The smaller one is a great pruning saw, a few times I have used it clearing limb or small trees off tracks when it is all I have had with me. It will cut 8-10" green stuff but is working hard.
The 36v is a different beast it really is the equivalent of a small petrol saw, Used it last week to cut up a 60' windblown tree that was around 18" in the trunk. Only cutting it so I could push it up with the loader but it did it with no more effort than one of my smaller petrol saws would have required and only one battery change. If anything batteries last longer than a tank of fuel on the smaller saws.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Tue Feb 13, 2024 4:19 pm

Jim, that was a clever idea putting your mini saw onto his pole. This thread has reminded me I need to get the pole saw out this spring and trim down some of the older apple trees on the property.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:24 pm

there is an old saying that necessity is the mother of invention ..... it would have taken hours of hard work his manual pole saw .... our son left to get a hunting climbing stand so we could use a regular chainsaw ..... while he was gone the thought of trying to attach our mini chainsaw to his pole popped into my head .... when he got back the stand was too small to go around the tree .... at that point we got busy trying to figure out how attach it ..... he made it work with a combination of electrical tape, wire ties and a length of heavy gauge coated wire
1 x