All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Solid Wood Paneling

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:26 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 4:54 pm
This will give you a better idea of what I’m working with. There are going to be gaps in between the boards. There is bark and saw marks on the wood. It is totally unplanned or sanded. It is rough lumber.

My house was built in the mid 1880’s and was one of the first stick built houses in the county. It is well known in the area. If I say I live in the old Sanders red house on the hill most people will know where I live.

The wood I will be installing will be what was available when the house was built. It will look correct in this house but maybe not a house built in the 1950’s.
A2ABC916-BD38-4043-8B94-BD9E967E2DC5.jpeg
When this house was built there was no such thing as electricity and the nearest well was a quarter mile away.
444868E6-0596-417A-A174-040A1C9AF5DA.jpeg
That does clarify what your design intent is. Rustic is good. :) You mentioned installing it over ply. I assume a common birch or other light wood ply? If that's the case, and given that the planks will allow it to be seen thru the edges, I think I'd apply a dark stain (walnut? ) to the ply before hanging the cherry since cherry will darken as it ages, especially in direct sunlight if you get that thru the nearby door window.

One other question. Are you planning on nailing it all in place? If you are you might want to pick up period correct cut nails. If you can't find them locally, you can select from a variety of sizes and head designs here:

https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/i ... term=nails
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:38 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:14 pm
I like it Gene especially the rough cut surface. It’s going to look great.
Thanks. I put the rest of the wood in the garage. I won’t be able to get to this for a few months so I’ll take the wood inside the house to the garage and lay it down. I think it will warp is I leave it laying up against the wall. When I bring it back inside I will store it laying down for a couple of weeks to let it get it’s driest.

I bought 300 board feet for $500. These are true 1” x 4,6, and 8” x 98” boards. My ceilings are 102”.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:42 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:49 am
Vaquero wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 am
Also, looks like your putting it over sheetrock?
How do you plan to attach it?

RP
With a thin backer plywood.
To me that's still not going to be adequate to hold those boards.
Good luck, it should look nice for sure, but I'm not sure how well that's going to work.
I've thought about doing something similar in the man cave with reclaimed barn wood,
but running them diagonal so I could nail into the studs.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:50 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:42 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:49 am
Vaquero wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:33 am
Also, looks like your putting it over sheetrock?
How do you plan to attach it?

RP
With a thin backer plywood.
To me that's still not going to be adequate to hold those boards.
Good luck, it should look nice for sure, but I'm not sure how well that's going to work.
I've thought about doing something similar in the man cave with reclaimed barn wood,
but running them diagonal so I could nail into the studs.

RP
I have the same concerns. I may go with 3/4” plywood and screw it from the back so no nails are visible.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:57 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:26 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
This will give you a better idea of what I’m working with. There are going to be gaps in between the boards. There is bark and saw marks on the wood. It is totally unplanned or sanded. It is rough lumber.

My house was built in the mid 1880’s and was one of the first stick built houses in the county. It is well known in the area. If I say I live in the old Sanders red house on the hill most people will know where I live.

The wood I will be installing will be what was available when the house was built. It will look correct in this house but maybe not a house built in the 1950’s.
When this house was built there was no such thing as electricity and the nearest well was a quarter mile away.
That does clarify what your design intent is. Rustic is good. :) You mentioned installing it over ply. I assume a common birch or other light wood ply? If that's the case, and given that the planks will allow it to be seen thru the edges, I think I'd apply a dark stain (walnut? ) to the ply before hanging the cherry since cherry will darken as it ages, especially in direct sunlight if you get that thru the nearby door window.

One other question. Are you planning on nailing it all in place? If you are you might want to pick up period correct cut nails. If you can't find them locally, you can select from a variety of sizes and head designs here:

Thanks for the link on the period nails. I may paint the plywood falu red which is the color of the house and almost every barn in America. It’s the color of a traditional Swedish torp house.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:21 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:57 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:

Thanks for the link on the period nails. I may paint the plywood falu red which is the color of the house and almost every barn in America. It’s the color of a traditional Swedish torp house.
Your welcome. I've still got some around here somewhere from when I did a lot of woodwork. Look and hold better than common wire nails. I think the red would be appropriate. This kind of thing is always a fun project. :)
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:21 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:

Your welcome. I've still got some around here somewhere from when I did a lot of woodwork. Look and hold better than common wire nails. I think the red would be appropriate. This kind of thing is always a fun project. :)
Now I’m thinking nail what boards I can to the studs and then nail a cross board to all the boards. All made possible by getting vintage nails.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:06 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sir Henry wrote:

Now I’m thinking nail what boards I can to the studs and then nail a cross board to all the boards. All made possible by getting vintage nails.
Amazing how a little thing like a nail can inspire the imagination, ain't it. You could do that, or ......................

Do you know what a French cleat is? It's what I made to hang my weapon display on the wall. You only need one board screwed to the studs. But you would have to run a frame completely around your 'hanging' wall, or in your case only 2 sides and the top, to hide the cleat.

Or... how about a sliding barn door look? You can get hardware to hang it from so you could close off that hallway(?) to the left in your pic if you wanted to do that. ;)
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
GunnyGene wrote:

Amazing how a little thing like a nail can inspire the imagination, ain't it. You could do that, or ......................

Do you know what a French cleat is? It's what I made to hang my weapon display on the wall. You only need one board screwed to the studs. But you would have to run a frame completely around your 'hanging' wall, or in your case only 2 sides and the top, to hide the cleat.

Or... how about a sliding barn door look? You can get hardware to hang it from so you could close off that hallway(?) to the left in your pic if you wanted to do that. ;)
Nice job on your display. Never heard of a French Cleat till now. After looking it up it might be the way to go.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:35 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:23 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:53 pm
Sir Henry wrote:

Nice job on your display. Never heard of a French Cleat till now. After looking it up it might be the way to go.
They're a very old method of attaching things to walls that you might want to move sometime later. Easy to make. I used a common (but straight) 2x4 ripped at 45* to create the mating pieces. Half is attached to the wall, the other half attached to the piece you want to hang so that the halves mate together very tightly. You do have to make sure, using a level, that both are perfectly horizontal and at the right height.
0 x