Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Snake!

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Snake!

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:02 pm

We haven't seen many moccasins. Shortly after I broke my wrist, I went to recoil a rope Tina had left in the bed of the Polaris and hang it on the rack in the garage and a pygmy rattler who was tangled in the coils already on the rack struck at me. Tangled is the key here, he was stopped short. Crows ate his corpse.

There are plenty of copperheads in the mondograss around Tinas workshop, but they stay hidden. If the westie sees one, she's on it in a flash, and shakes it until it's dead.

Years ago, living on our farm in VA, Tina was working barefoot in her flower garden while I was working a 3-11 patrol shift several counties away. She stepped on a baby copperhead. It bit her four times in her foot. She stomped it into copperhead paste. She spent the night in tye ER, he did not survive her attention. Two weeks later, farm girl is back working the garden. Barefoot. :twisted:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:02 pm

What? Yes... I beat the ambulance to the ER...
0 x

graywolf
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by graywolf » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:40 pm

Yep. I had same reaction. When I looked down and saw it repeating striking my foot I commenced to stomping, jumping, dancing, you name it. Don’t know what all I may have done. When I was done though, that snake didn’t look much like a snake. I’m glad though, we don’t see many copperheads around here.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:49 pm

Given Aus has 9 of the 10 most deadly snakes in the world it doest really matter what part of the country you live 3 or 4 will be present. Funny the way lots of us dismiss the danger because it is only the 5th or 6th deadliest. I usually leave them alone but if they enter the house yard they are fair game. I do need to beat the little terrier to them he will attack and kill them, I have found a few he has left at the back door. Hopefully he leaves them alone as he is 17 now and slowed down considerably in the last year. Not sure he would still have the speed and agility to avoid strikes and get a killing bite
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:07 am

220 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:49 pm
Given Aus has 9 of the 10 most deadly snakes in the world it doest really matter what part of the country you live 3 or 4 will be present. Funny the way lots of us dismiss the danger because it is only the 5th or 6th deadliest. I usually leave them alone but if they enter the house yard they are fair game. I do need to beat the little terrier to them he will attack and kill them, I have found a few he has left at the back door. Hopefully he leaves them alone as he is 17 now and slowed down considerably in the last year. Not sure he would still have the speed and agility to avoid strikes and get a killing bite
I thought everything in Australia wanted to kill you? :D Kevin Hart has a whole standup about his Aussie buddy telling him just that. Leaping spiders, small biting bugs, snakes, roos will kick box you. 8-) I always wanted to visit down under in our travels in the Corps, but it was one of my bucket list places we never stopped. (Ireland, Scotland were a couple others.) My buddy married an Aussie lass... sweet, unless you made her mad, but then, aren't they all?
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 am

:lol:
Yeah plenty of things that will bite sting and kill you but apart from the salt water crocs nothing that will really eat you.
No bears, big cats even the dingo isnt much bigger than a coyote so unless you are facing a pack you have a fighting chance.

Spiders are a bit like snakes we have a few, funnel web spiders killed a few until a antivenom was developed in the 80's. Highly aggressive and fangs longer than some snakes. A bit like snakes everyone just dismisses the redback, they are everywhere people stand on them squash them with fingers or thumbs, most treat them just like a insect that can sting. They are the same family and a bit more venomous than the black widow. I know a few people that have been bitten and didnt even worry about seeking medical attention. Felt a bit sick for a day and that was about it.
Lots of stories about redbacks on the dunny seat, not so much now but when outside toilets and old long drops were common it always payed to lift the seat before sitting down. More than a few suffered bites in particularly sensitive areas :lol:
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:16 am

Funny thing here... Up north, the Moose can be as dangerous or more dangerous than any other animal we have. They get really tall, are heavy, and get an attitude and stomp a puddle in your butt. Worse than deer, or Roos... You hit the long legged moose he falls ON your Mini Cooper... :o :evil: Pancake. The worst thing the uneducated can do is try and pet a moose baby, or get between the moose mom and her cute baby when they wander into town. I've seen the videos. Not pretty. :cry:

Oh, spiders? I don't like spiders. I don't go out of my way to kill them, but stay out of my space, yah eight legged freak. :roll: We have black widows and brown recluse here in Oklahoma, and Tarantulas so big you can see them run across the road in front of your car. Teacup size maybe.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:20 am

I got bit on the back of my thigh by some small spider when we first got here. The bite swelled, and came to a head, drained, then took six weeks to heal. Still have a scar. Yeah, not the spider for a pet guy.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:34 am

As far as I know, we don't have poisonous snakes around. I have noticed many around the yard and barn this year. I live and let live unless hunting usually. Garden pests and snakes around the house are another story. .22 shot shells and a S&W model 63 are pretty handy on the snakes and meadow mice.
0 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:27 pm

Only poisonous snakes around here are rattlesnakes. They can be numerous in some areas but in 35 years on my property I've only seen a few, I stepped on one once and that was pretty exciting. Bull snakes are pretty common, they will hiss at you but mostly they just want to get away from you. I leave them alone as they help keep the rodent population down.
0 x