Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Hi-speed internet is coming to rural Wisconsin

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Hi-speed internet is coming to rural Wisconsin

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:12 am

The federal government did a study on Covid19 and came to the conclusion those without hi-speed internet were more likely to die from covid. To combat this the feds are financing low cost fiber optics in rural areas including where I’m at. I’m told I will have cheap fiber optics within a year. I’ve wondered what the huge rolls of wire along the roads were doing there.

I currently can have satellite internet however it’s several hundred dollars a month. Right now I’m paying about $50 and it’s as slow as the local maple syrup.

Okay everyone back to work and pay your taxes so I can benefit. 8-)
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Hi-speed internet is coming to rural Wisconsin

Post by dave77 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:45 pm

I didn't realize satellite internet was so expensive. Glad I have PUD fiber, $50 for 100/10.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 3:45 pm
I didn't realize satellite internet was so expensive. Glad I have PUD fiber, $50 for 100/10.
It’s so expensive most people here can’t afford it. In the city if you run a mile of fiber optics you can hook up several hundred if not a thousand people. Here you might only sign up a dozen making it not profitable to lay the fiber. Hence the government’s involvement.
0 x

CT_Shooter
Administrator emeritus
United States of America

Post by CT_Shooter » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:27 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:12 am
Glad you brought that up.

You're gonna love that broadband, Gene; though maybe not nearly as much as shooting spinners in your new backyard range.

Happily, everyone in the USA will significantly benefit from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/bipartisan-i ... cture-law/

It's gonna make a lot of our lives better in some unexpected ways.

I enjoy following your personal evolution as you post it on the forum. We share a deeply similar experience.
0 x
H006M Big Boy Brass .357 - H001 Classic .22LR - Uberti / Taylors & Co. SmokeWagon .357 5.5" - Uberti / Taylors & Co. RanchHand .22LR 5.5"

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:08 pm

I'm not too far from town but would probably not have fiber if it was up to private companies. Our county PUD ran all the fiber and they have some sort of a lease agreement with the local ISP's to actually provide the service. The county PUD's that own their dams on the Columbia River have excess power that they sell on the open market. Our county owns 2 dams and they make enough on their power sales to subsidize things like fiber, a domestic water system and a pretty extensive park system. And we still have one of the lowest electric rates in the country.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:39 am

CT_Shooter wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:27 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:12 am
Glad you brought that up.

You're gonna love that broadband, Gene; though maybe not nearly as much as shooting spinners in your new backyard range.

Happily, everyone in the USA will significantly benefit from the Bipartisan Infrastructure Law (Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act).

https://www.whitehouse.gov/bipartisan-i ... cture-law/

It's gonna make a lot of our lives better in some unexpected ways.

I enjoy following your personal evolution as you post it on the forum. We share a deeply similar experience.
Sometimes I wonder if I post too much. If I stub my toe I’ll make a post. Seriously building a rimfire range was top priority in finding a place. I could have afforded a mansion and I chose this modest farmhouse. It’s not just the house that makes this area so special. The residents are really welcoming. Families welcome me to their tables and two women have asked me out. I’m really reluctant to get into a relationship with a long time resident. If it goes south I’m stuck living next door to them.

I wouldn’t mind having an activity partner, someone that likes to hike and go on day trips to see the state.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:48 am

You don’t post too much Gene, I believe that we all are enjoying following along with your journey. Most of us wouldn’t have the where-with-all to make the life change you have gone thru. Besides, for me and probably others HRF is my version of Facebook. :lol:

My son who just moved from Spokane to a rural home has/had the same issue with internet as you. He works from home and a solid connection is critical for him. There is DSL in the phone line that serves his place but the company CenturyLink has some equipment issues in his location. So he was forced to use satellite and it is/was over $200 per month. Fortunately his company pays for it but a cap on the dollar amount was set to be put in place later this year. Good news is CenturyLink has repaired the equipment in his area and he was able to switch to the DSL which is $53 per month. I am on this same service and it is fine for what we do, light internet surfing and TV streaming.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:22 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 11:48 am
You don’t post too much Gene, I believe that we all are enjoying following along with your journey. Most of us wouldn’t have the where-with-all to make the life change you have gone thru. Besides, for me and probably others HRF is my version of Facebook. :lol:

My son who just moved from Spokane to a rural home has/had the same issue with internet as you. He works from home and a solid connection is critical for him. There is DSL in the phone line that serves his place but the company CenturyLink has some equipment issues in his location. So he was forced to use satellite and it is/was over $200 per month. Fortunately his company pays for it but a cap on the dollar amount was set to be put in place later this year. Good news is CenturyLink has repaired the equipment in his area and he was able to switch to the DSL which is $53 per month. I am on this same service and it is fine for what we do, light internet surfing and TV streaming.
My DSL internet is really slow. I stuck an antenna up for TV and got 30 channels however 23 of them were shopping which I never watch. Then I ordered satellite for $83 a month for three months and then it will jump to $127. It’s nice to have a dozen movie channels with no commercials.

I don’t have a land line and won’t pay the $200 for satellite internet. My property taxes and utilities are about a third what I was paying. Sales tax is about half and I don’t think any of my income will be taxable.

So far my biggest expenses has been “stuff” like shovels and rakes and furniture. I sold, gave away or just left behind 95% of my belongings. It’s kind of nice to start fresh again although it is time consuming and expensive.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:12 am

I noticed the sticker on the shovel in the mud. Kinda cool that you are re-supplying in the new area. That’s a good way to establish relationships with the local stores.
0 x

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:28 am

So far my biggest expenses has been “stuff” like shovels and rakes and furniture. I sold, gave away or just left behind 95% of my belongings. It’s kind of nice to start fresh again although it is time consuming and expensive.
[/quote]

Yes, I can agree with and understand that.
I'm glad things are going well there.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member