Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Visitor today

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Cattle Driver
Australia

Visitor today

Post by 220 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:50 am

Have a bit of hog sign that started appearing a few weeks back, put out a couple of cameras last week hoping to get a bit of an idea on their movements and times.
Was in the sheep yards reasonably early this morning drenching and foot bathing a mob of ewes, I checked the cameras once I finished, I should have done it before I started on the sheep. This boy was wondering around at 8am.

Probably close to 26" antler length so a good representative of Aus sambar, they only ever grow 3 points a side the number doesn't change with age they just increase in length, they are similar in size to elk averaging just a little smaller.
Camera is on the edge of about 10acres I ploughed in preparation for sowing some forage oats later this month. No doubt the visits will increase, last time I had oats in the same spot I had 5 different young stags visiting regularly and I dont know how many hinds but a few times I had pictures with 2 hinds both with young in tow in the one shot.
5 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Visitor today

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:45 am

I love checking our game cams, you never know what you will find. Beautiful, just beautiful.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:23 am

That looks to be a healthy animal. Looks well fed.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Tue Feb 08, 2022 2:06 pm

lovely looking animal
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:20 pm

Sambar are a bit unusual in they can breed year round. They dont have a rut, although most calves seem to be born spring or fall. They are solitary animals, male calves almost always go out on their own by the time a hind has birthed her next calf, sometimes you will see a hind with a young calf at foot and yearling female calf still with her.
With no rut and no fixed calving period we dont have a season for them and are allowed to hunt them year round. Like all deer in Aus they are introduced but in my state at least we have a closed hunting season for most species when calves/fawns are born and still dependent.
Antler growth is similar and you can find stags in hard antler and velvet at anytime of the year.
0 x