Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Montana or Wisconsin?

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Re: Montana or Wisconsin?

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:01 pm

Tough decision, but it really is your decision, of course. I think much of it where you've lived, before. As much as I love Wisconsin, I still very much miss the great wide open spaces the west. Not just taking about the pretty postcard western landscapes. I actually love the high plains areas of the Dakotas and eastern Montana, the places people pass by in a mad rush to get to the mountains.

And winters are very different between Wisconsin and Montana. In Wisconsin, it gets cold and it stays cold for long stretches at a time. It can be relentless. We don't get Chinook winds like Montana and it's always a damp cold, here. No blizzards like what you see out west, but plenty of snow, day after day. Spring comes late this far north and we expect big snows in April and some snow into May. The worst part of winters, here, though, is the lack of sunshine. We can go weeks without a sunny day. Seattle has nothing on us for gloom in the winter.

I'll take winter in Montana, any day.
0 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:30 pm

Sounds like you've made up your mind, enjoy Wisconsin. :)
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:37 pm

Marlboro man never crossed my mind when mentioning Montana. But I think overpriced properties arent unique to just one area of the country. I think its all over with people moving around due to the situations of their particular area.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:41 pm

North Country Gal wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 2:01 pm
Tough decision, but it really is your decision, of course. I think much of it where you've lived, before. As much as I love Wisconsin, I still very much miss the great wide open spaces the west. Not just taking about the pretty postcard western landscapes. I actually love the high plains areas of the Dakotas and eastern Montana, the places people pass by in a mad rush to get to the mountains.

And winters are very different between Wisconsin and Montana. In Wisconsin, it gets cold and it stays cold for long stretches at a time. It can be relentless. We don't get Chinook winds like Montana and it's always a damp cold, here. No blizzards like what you see out west, but plenty of snow, day after day. Spring comes late this far north and we expect big snows in April and some snow into May. The worst part of winters, here, though, is the lack of sunshine. We can go weeks without a sunny day. Seattle has nothing on us for gloom in the winter.

I'll take winter in Montana, any day.
I miss spending the winters in Ephrata where it would get down in the teens. Nothing like starting the wood fire up every morning for heat, then the coffee pot the the shower, then the local greasy spoon for coffee with the gang. Then on to the city owned rifle range.

Having southeast exposure is important to me. Especially in the winter when the trees loosttheir leaves.

Above all I’m looking for a change and adventure. A base camp where I can explore new places. I’ve been on most paved highways in Washington, Northern Idaho and Montana.

The web has been a big help and I’ve read about countless small towns in Wisconsin. I know where I can get a latte and I’m not talking cup of coffee from McDonald’s. How many restaurants are within 30 miles? What about gas? And groceries. I know where I can get all of these things near some of the places.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm

Gene, with climate change and the west getting dryer, droughts, fires, etc. I would move to a place that has seasons, plenty of good fresh, clean water and friendly people. The Midwesterner’s for the most part are that.
0 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:24 pm

GeoBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm
Gene, with climate change and the west getting dryer, droughts, fires, etc. I would move to a place that has seasons, plenty of good fresh, clean water and friendly people. The Midwesterner’s for the most part are that.
Very good point. We had more smoke this summer from northern and western fires than ever before, but nothing like all so many of my friends and family had to endure this summer.
1 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:05 am

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 3:41 pm

I miss spending the winters in Ephrata where it would get down in the teens. Nothing like starting the wood fire up every morning for heat, then the coffee pot the the shower, then the local greasy spoon for coffee with the gang. Then on to the city owned rifle range.
I'm about 50 miles from Ephrata, we don't seem to be getting the really cold weather lately. Seems like mid-20's is pretty average for the last few years. I'm not complaining, I suppose that could change any time and get back down to the teens and zero's that used to be pretty common.

Seems like less snow too, this photo was taken in 2017 and was probably the most accumulation we've had for quite a while. Last year there was plenty of snow higher up but it went away pretty quick with the June/July heat wave we had. The heat really hurt the cherry harvest, was talking to the guy who manages the nearby orchard and he said they left close to 20,000 lbs. of cherries on the trees. These are prime Rainier cherry's, I've seen them in the local stores for $9@lb. When they were picking I'd hear them going up the road at 2 in the morning, they would have to quit before 10 on many days.

1 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:48 am

Gene, if you decide to come to Wisconsin, be sure to budget for a good snowblower and the farther north you locate, the bigger the snow blower should be. In fact, we now use an ATV with a plow for our driveway.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:18 am

GeoBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm
Agree that this is a good point. I’ve had the good fortune of living in Eastern Washington all my 64 years and the climate here is definitely changing. As Dave mentioned this past spring we had a really nice above average snow pack but the early heat wave in June wiped it out way too soon. I’ve never seen a heat wave that hot lasting that long in June. Typically June is a cool wet month for us and summer used to always start the first work day after the 4th of July holiday. :roll:

As far as Montana goes for me, I really like the Flathead Lake area. Big forested mountains with plains below. My favorite is the transition areas in between these two areas.
0 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:26 pm
In reality Montana is more about CCR’s and HOA. I find a nice place there and I can’t shoot on my own property. And then they want an arm and a leg for it.
That's been a big surprise to me. I would have never guessed it, but I also saw it in reality in some of your real estate listings that you posted. I'm wondering how that ever happened?
1 x
NRA Member