Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Montana or Wisconsin?

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Montana or Wisconsin?

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:15 pm

My home is under contract with a closing around November 17th. I need to be out by then. So I’m no longer at the looky-lue phase. I’m in full steam I need to find something now.

In Wisconsin I’m finding a couple dozen candidates. I can fully get into moving there and going places I’ve never been before. The big problem is the getting part. Finding vans is proving to be impossible. Buy or rent they just are not in stock. Right now moving to Wisconsin would mean selling most everything I own that wasn’t metal and wood and makes loud noises.

Montana has fewer places I can afford but it’s within a long days drive. I could haul most of my things over in multiple trips. The other thing about Montana is my friend in the Army wants to move back to Great Falls when he retires in three years. Living close to each other would mean a lot to both of us.

I need to make some important decisions that will affect the rest of my life.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Re: Montana or Wisconsin?

Post by John E Davies » Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm

Are you asking for suggestions? I have mentioned this before, now is a fantastic time to sell, especially in the Seattle area, but a terrible time to buy another home. Rent a small place in a small rural community, with a very low cost of living, put your bigger stuff in storage, then spend a year or two searching for the perfect location for when the market has recovered.

I vote Montana. Hang in there.

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:40 am

Montana.
0 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:51 am

Montana would be my choice of those two
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:59 am

Never been to Wisconsin so I really can’t weigh in but in my opinion western Montana is about the prettiest place in the world. (Okay, fine, I haven’t been to very many places but I have spent lots of time in western Montana :D )

My son and DIL are doing something along the lines of what John Davies said. They are putting their home up for sale and plan to put everything in storage and then moving temporarily to Arizona to live with her folks. I’m wondering if storage units are in short supply like the vans you can’t find as many are doing the same. That could be another road block. If all this is reality a direct move from home to home might be necessary which would eliminate Wisconsin.

I also wonder if home moving companies like United are swamped and not available too.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:19 pm

John E Davies wrote:
Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:01 pm
Are you asking for suggestions? I have mentioned this before, now is a fantastic time to sell, especially in the Seattle area, but a terrible time to buy another home. Rent a small place in a small rural community, with a very low cost of living, put your bigger stuff in storage, then spend a year or two searching for the perfect location for when the market has recovered.

I vote Montana. Hang in there.

John Davies
Spokane WA
Two years is 20% of my remaining life and I don’t want to spend it becoming richer. I have enough money and having $200K more in the bank will not change my life.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:26 pm

When people say Montana they are thinking Marlboro man leaning up against a fence smoking a cigarette. In reality Montana is more about CCR’s and HOA. I find a nice place there and I can’t shoot on my own property. And then they want an arm and a leg for it. Wisconsin is still affordable and I can shoot most anywhere.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:02 pm

Some of the better properties in Wisconsin are overpriced. I would buy this house if it was $100K less.
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3687 ... 6359_zpid/

This is all I really need and this one would make a good base camp. A central place I could run the backroads from.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/W336 ... 4726_zpid/
0 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:30 pm

Wisconsin...
Don't know; maybe it's your region, but there are several places around here chock full of U-Haul trucks and trailers.
Also lots of storage facilities and several more being built as we speak. Probably because so many people are trying to move here.
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:33 pm

Sounds like you were not really asking for suggestions, so just go to Wisconsin. If the cost of the house is not a main factor, more power to you. Not many people can say that. Find a storage unit there in Puget Sound, put all your big stuff there, move to WI, rent some basic furniture until you can figure out how to ship the rest of your stuff back east. With the money you save by NOT buying a MT property, that should be simple enough, financially speaking. Or just sell your furniture outright to an estate buyer who will remove it all for you in half a day….,and buy all new furniture when you get there. You won’t get much for it, but the convenience factor is high. I sold off my mom’s entire household furnishings when she went into a nursing home, it was super easy.

https://m.yelp.com/search?cflt=estatel ... ttle%2C+WA

5 acres isn’t normally enough for safe shooting, unless it is long and skinny property and you can shoot down it into a hillside….

John Davies
Spokane WA
1 x