Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Montana or Wisconsin?

Post by markiver54 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:22 pm

Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:26 pm
In reality Montana is more about CCR’s and HOA. I find a nice place there and I can’t shoot on my own property. And then they want an arm and a leg for it.
That's been a big surprise to me. I would have never guessed it, but I also saw it in reality in some of your real estate listings that you posted. I'm wondering how that ever happened?
Doesn't really make sense to me, for that area.....hmm.
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:36 pm

Hatchdog wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:18 am
GeoBoy wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:18 pm
Gene, with climate change and the west getting dryer, droughts, fires, etc. I would move to a place that has seasons, plenty of good fresh, clean water and friendly people. The Midwesterner’s for the most part are that.
Agree that this is a good point. I’ve had the good fortune of living in Eastern Washington all my 64 years and the climate here is definitely changing. As Dave mentioned this past spring we had a really nice above average snow pack but the early heat wave in June wiped it out way too soon. I’ve never seen a heat wave that hot lasting that long in June. Typically June is a cool wet month for us and summer used to always start the first work day after the 4th of July holiday. :roll:

As far as Montana goes for me, I really like the Flathead Lake area. Big forested mountains with plains below. My favorite is the transition areas in between these two areas.
Forest fires and rioting and/or the combination of the two is what is motivating me to leave dodge. Last summer during the heat wave, if it had been the summer of 2020 this entire area would have burned to the ground.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 pm

Have you looked in South western Wisconsin? The geography is totally different from most of the state as if was the furthest south the last glaciers came. A lot of terminal moraine and rolling hills. Very pastoral and Swiss influenced.. Plus some great beer towns!
0 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:09 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:22 pm
Cowboy Gun Fan wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:14 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 12:26 pm
In reality Montana is more about CCR’s and HOA. I find a nice place there and I can’t shoot on my own property. And then they want an arm and a leg for it.
That's been a big surprise to me. I would have never guessed it, but I also saw it in reality in some of your real estate listings that you posted. I'm wondering how that ever happened?
Doesn't really make sense to me, for that area.....hmm.
Too many people shooting up the neighborhoods and leaving trash everywhere. Shooting no big deal as there is so much public land. Trash on the other hand is a big deal. I’m not talking about 40 years of abandoned snow plows beside the barn overgrown in grass, I’m talking about old tires, refrigerators, toilets and then of course bags of dirty diapers.
1 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:19 pm

The Wiz wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:55 pm
Have you looked in South western Wisconsin? The geography is totally different from most of the state as if was the furthest south the last glaciers came. A lot of terminal moraine and rolling hills. Very pastoral and Swiss influenced.. Plus some great beer towns!
That is a well known hunting area and a little too expensive for my blood. I’m thinking north of WI29 Eau Claire to Wausa. The further north the better the values and also above that line the population decreases.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:58 am

One piece of advice I can give is to check on a town to town basis as to what drives that area's economy. When you get into the north woods tourist country, don't be fooled by those low population numbers for these small towns. These small north woods towns that depend heavily on tourism can double and triple in size during the tourist season. They can be a very different place in the summer tourist season. Tourism has been very much on the increase up here with Covid. People are driving up up to the north woods in record numbers for their vacations, rather than taking the risk of flying to a more distant vacation spot.

Given what you've outlined, I would stay more to the south in farm country where population size stays more constant and stable from one season to the next.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:37 pm

I still haven’t found anything. I bought a 2011 Sprinter LWB HT 350. It was a 15 passenger bus and I removed all the seats. It’s mostly loaded with things made of lead and steel. Sure is heavy. Van is only a quarter full and I’m at half weight. I’ll finish loading it with light things that take up a lot of room. I’ll need to make three trips and for now it’s to the unknown.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:46 am

Thanks for the update, I’ve been wondering how things were going for you.
0 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sun Oct 24, 2021 10:51 am

Yes, best of luck. I've been in those "in between places" situations, before, and it is not fun. Hope you get settled, soon.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:58 am

Good Luck Gene I wish you well
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55