Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Heat Pump

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Heat Pump

Post by JEBar » Thu Sep 23, 2021 4:17 pm

our current heat pump is 8 (going on 9) years old ... according to the company we bought it from its average life expectancy is 10 years .... with thousands of dollars involved, I'd appreciate hearing from folks who have experiences with heat pumps .... brand ? .... life span ? .... durability ? ... efficiency ? ..... suggestions as to alternative systems would also be appreciated
1 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Heat Pump

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:25 am

I don't have one yet, but plan to when we build. I've always known them to last a lot longer than that. My guess would be 20-30 years, if not longer.

We are going to go with a Heat Pump and a Wood Stove for a secondary.
1 x
NRA Member

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:27 am

20-30 years was pretty much what I'd heard .... the same used to be true with most home appliances but those days appear to be gone
1 x

Ozarkwoodswalker
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ozarkwoodswalker » Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:56 am

I have a ground source heat pump that's probably nearly 20 years old and still going strong. Very efficient. I have a propane fireplace backup in case the power gets knocked out.... have had very little trouble with heat pump. No complaints.
1 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 am

"ground source heat pump" .... have heard of them but know nothing about them .... tip appreciated, will look into it
0 x

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Fri Sep 24, 2021 4:45 pm

We put in a new heating system 5 years ago with a high efficiency heat pump and a back-up propane furnace. Heat pump carries most of the load for heating and cooling. Propane only kicks in when air temp drops below about 30 F. So far the system has been rock solid. My neighbor is the HVAC person that installed the system and has the same one in his house. He stated 20-30 years on average with most system getting 25 years or more. Our system is made by Trane.

Paul
1 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:19 pm

I agree with Ozarkww. The simplicity of a ground water system is well proven. Yeah, you can’t warm your buns over the register. But, you get consistent heat at a reasonable price. Check it out. Helps if you have a pond to discharge into.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.