Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Renovations

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Renovations

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:52 pm

Carol ownes a condo, about 1/2 hr away in Asheville NC. It was her parents' home that she inherited when they passed about 18 yrs ago. She has had one tenent, as she chose to rent it, for all those years. Appeared to be a good tennant, however, upon move out, has turned out to be a nightmare, and she wants to sell it now.
I, have been very busy lately doing repairs to try to keep the expenses down to some degree so that it is presentable for sale.
Just finished rebuilding the kitchen drawers. They were broken and un-usable. That is just the beginning. She has to re-floor/carpet the whole place!!
Needless to say... we are busy!
Pretty much has disturbed our Summer and cabin time, thus limiting my shooting. :oops: :cry:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Re: Renovations

Post by brm4450 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 pm

FB4C503F-1394-4A1B-BD86-2A04F618D98E.gif
FB4C503F-1394-4A1B-BD86-2A04F618D98E.gif (625.8 KiB) Viewed 811 times
That sucks
1 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:07 pm

brm4450 wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:03 pm
FB4C503F-1394-4A1B-BD86-2A04F618D98E.gif

That sucks
:lol: :lol:
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:24 pm

Renters good ones are hard to find. I did that slum lord once upon a time. I want no part of that ever again. Id rather be shooting.
2 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:49 pm

Sorry your renters didn't live up to your expectations. That was our experience, both times. The first time was when we bought the farm, and had planned to keep the small house as an investment. The tenant, who had several solid references, ducked out in the middle of the night the first week of December. He had been in the house less than three months and he and his three kids had left behind damages and a mess. Cleaned, repaired, painted, and priced for a quick sale, it closed before the new year.

The second time, we bought the house and property beside us, mainly to add the acerage. Rented to a friend. In a year, she did $10,000 in damages. Sold the house and three acres, kept the pasture, creek, and woodland.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:08 am

I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Some folks do well in the rental business. I haven't met many. I usually know folks who have bad tenants. I remember when I was a tenant. Bad land lord was the issue. When something didn't work, they were slow or didn't get to it. When the rent was due, magically, they were able to get there to collect that right on time. That always soured me on the whole thing.

I hope you get the place in good shape and Carol can sell it and you to can get on with enjoying life.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am

Thanks for understanding guys. I just hope Carol is able to make a reasonable profit after it is all said and done. Aside from expense, the biggest problem is finding dependable contractors and coordinating the work to be done in the right order. There is mold mitigation to be done, painting of the entire place, some electrical issues, some plumbing issues, kitchen appliances, etc, etc. Too bad, because it is a nice place, ( three BR, two bath ). About 1600 sq ft and a two car garage. Worst part is that the market is starting to cool down some, so it's kind of a race against time. :roll: :|
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am

We were able to make a small profit on the sale of the house and three acres, but kept seven plus acres to add to our farmland. We decided we weren't going to do the landlord thing again. I know folks that had good success at it, but it takes one of two mindsets.... Be hard, and no emotional attachments. Or... Turn the properties over to professional managers who are strict... And detached with no emotional attactment. :D

That was our downfall... Tina was our "property manager," and was supposed to inspect the house each month when she picked up the rent check. The college professor renting from us had a doctorate and a second masters, and was a friend. Tina was in and out of the house often visiting, so she didn't do the "manager's" inspections each month. We paid for that dearly when the lease was up.

Taxes and insurance had gone up during that first year, so in the new lease, the professor's rent would be $50 a month higher. She would still be about $300 below market, and was boarding her horse for free. We didn't want to make money, just cover the mortgage and put a little aside for repairs. Nope, wasn't going to pay the increase. She even refused to pay for the damages she had done. We won in court, we won again in appeals court. She filed for bankruptcy, we got nothing.

A good friend who owns two dozen rental properties refuses to rent to friends or family.
:D
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:37 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am
Be hard, and no emotional attachments. Or... Turn the properties over to professional managers who are strict... And detached with no emotional attactment.
We, of course will not be doing it again, but what you are saying makes a lot of sense. Carol was just too nice to this one. It was not till she was completely out that all the damage was visible. Carol even let her have all of her security deposit to help pay for her move. Beyond that, in all those years, only raised the rent twice, and in the end, she was still paying hundreds less than market rent where rents are at a premium because of the great location.

I guess Carol's attitude is the right one though..."It's water over the bridge"
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:52 am

markiver54 wrote:
Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:34 am
Thanks for understanding guys. I just hope Carol is able to make a reasonable profit after it is all said and done. Aside from expense, the biggest problem is finding dependable contractors and coordinating the work to be done in the right order. There is mold mitigation to be done, painting of the entire place, some electrical issues, some plumbing issues, kitchen appliances, etc, etc. Too bad, because it is a nice place, ( three BR, two bath ). About 1600 sq ft and a two car garage. Worst part is that the market is starting to cool down some, so it's kind of a race against time. :roll: :|
Sorry about the renters. The market here went from multiple over asking offers to sitting still all within one month.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater