Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Heat Pump

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Heat Pump

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:18 pm

The house in Fortine has a heat pump as it’s only continuously powered heat source. It also has a wood burning stove.

I’m concerned about a 16 year old heating system which is barely powerful enough to heat the house. The bottom has heating vents but they are in the ceiling. They don’t heat the downstairs very well but do give you a warmer floor upstairs.

It’s a Lenex HPXB15-30-230-03 and I have no experience with heat pumps.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Heat Pump

Post by JEBar » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:56 pm

heat pumps take heat out of the air .... they work well and save money on days when they can pull sufficient heat out of the air .... it is cool heat and for many folks accustomed to other furnaces, its a significant adjustment .... when its too cold, they have heat strips .... the heat strips are expensive to feed .... most manufactures have tables that can show how many days per year the heat strips will have to be used .... from there they can determine if a heat pump is a good choice ....
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:19 pm

I've had a heat pump here for about 20 years. Most folks here have them, mostly for the summer months when it's hot and humid. Check the insulation in the house, good insulation will save you a lot of money on the electric bill.

https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/sea ... n_r_values
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

GeoBoy
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by GeoBoy » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:25 pm

Gene, Lenox is pretty popular but they are not very reliable. Parts are pricey and scarce. Your best is Carrier brand.
1 x
Henry Hoo1T, Hoo9

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:16 pm

GeoBoy wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:25 pm
Gene, Lenox is pretty popular but they are not very reliable. Parts are pricey and scarce. Your best is Carrier brand.
Parts! That’s what I’m afraid of. I think adding a propane stove in the corner of the master bedroom would be nice and inexpensive. The wood burning stove is in the opposite corner of the house.

All of the appliances are from 2005. I’m not thinking they have much life left. Mine lasted 32 years here but half the options on whatever it was didn’t work.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:19 pm
I've had a heat pump here for about 20 years. Most folks here have them, mostly for the summer months when it's hot and humid. Check the insulation in the house, good insulation will save you a lot of money on the electric bill.

I’ll be moving to zone 6.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:32 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 5:18 pm
The house in Fortine has a heat pump as it’s only continuously powered heat source. It also has a wood burning stove.

I’m concerned about a 16 year old heating system which is barely powerful enough to heat the house. The bottom has heating vents but they are in the ceiling. They don’t heat the downstairs very well but do give you a warmer floor upstairs.

It’s a Lenex HPXB15-30-230-03 and I have no experience with heat pumps.

This is pretty typical in a home with a basement. Even with my high efficiency gas furnace my basement doesn’t get warm enough to be down there for any length of time. As you mentioned the heat vents are in the ceiling and are few and far in between. My reloading room is in the basement and I use one of those 1500 watt oil bath heaters when I’m in there during the winter. It does a nice job warming the room to a comfortable temp and it has no open flame or heating coil exposed which makes me more comfortable when dispensing powder. Yeah, I know, igniting smokeless powder with a heating element heater is nearly impossible but, well, that’s just me. :lol:
1 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:47 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm
GunnyGene wrote:

One other thing - you've probably thought of it - electric grid reliability. We loose power here usually several times a year. Typically during a storm for a few hours, but occasionally will be down for a day or 2. Having a generator is just about mandatory, and up there in the winter you'll want one that can power your heating needs as well as various appliances, lights, water heater, and so on. Generally that means a whole house permanent propane powered genny, that will keep you alive for the duration - maybe a week or more, not a small portable gas powered one that you may not be able find fuel for. I'd check into the history of bad winter storms up there and talk to the locals about their experiences.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:13 pm

Never heard anything good about heat pumps...just my .02
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:44 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:47 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:17 pm
GunnyGene wrote:

One other thing - you've probably thought of it - electric grid reliability. We loose power here usually several times a year. Typically during a storm for a few hours, but occasionally will be down for a day or 2. Having a generator is just about mandatory, and up there in the winter you'll want one that can power your heating needs as well as various appliances, lights, water heater, and so on. Generally that means a whole house permanent propane powered genny, that will keep you alive for the duration - maybe a week or more, not a small portable gas powered one that you may not be able find fuel for. I'd check into the history of bad winter storms up there and talk to the locals about their experiences.
I talked to the people I was camping near and they said the entire area DEPENDS on electrical power and it very seldom goes out. They both said they couldn’t remember a time when it was out for more than an hour. Keep in mind there are dams everywhere in Western Montana and the likelihood of them all going out is near zero.
0 x