Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Heat Pump

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Heat Pump

Post by dave77 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:41 am

If you have a newer air tight house it should have a heat exchanger that will pull the heat (or cold) out of the exhausted air and transfer it to the fresh air coming into the house. I've seen them on home improvement shows and they say they are very efficient.

https://www.lennox.com/products/indoor- ... lation/hrv
1 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:51 am

I agree. That is a nice way of doing things. But, where does that fresh air come from? From what I gather, the standard is infiltration: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/weat ... entilation & https://homes.lbl.gov/ventilate-right/s ... ation-rate. There seems to be ways to supply fresh air: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/weat ... entilation. Yet, my concern is what happens during a power loss? I suppose one could open a window, if you are awake. The type of ventilation system a house has will probably be a consideration, if I purchase another house.
Last edited by GFK on Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:07 am

When my house was new it was airtight and even in the winter I would leave a window open slightly. Settling has left a few very small cracks around the doors and now it’s not so bad.
1 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:40 am

Gene, the system I am most familiar with is a open loop. Well water is drawn up at ambient Earth temp, about 58°F. The system extracts approximately 10° of heat and returned the water to a waste line. My dad drained his into a small sand pit, benefiting the pond immensely. We should talk about the other types of systems. Closed loop systems are more expensive but perhaps more efficient.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:06 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:40 am
Gene, the system I am most familiar with is a open loop. Well water is drawn up at ambient Earth temp, about 58°F. The system extracts approximately 10° of heat and returned the water to a waste line. My dad drained his into a small sand pit, benefiting the pond immensely. We should talk about the other types of systems. Closed loop systems are more expensive but perhaps more efficient.
Thanks. If I buy the place I’ll definitely need info.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

Headhog
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Headhog » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:43 pm

About 5 years ago we replaced our entire heating and cooling system. Old system was a standalone AC and propane furnace. Some winters we would burn through 800 gals of propane. We went with a heat pump and integrated propane furnace. The heat pump cools the house in warm weather and will provide heat to about 30 F outside temp. When needed the propane kicks in to provide make-up heat. We now use less than 250 gal of propane a year and our monthly electric bill dropped considerably. It was a big upfront investment for the system but it seems to be paying off.

Paul
2 x