Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Re: Heat Pump

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:48 pm

markiver54 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:13 pm
Never heard anything good about heat pumps...just my .02
They are great in areas where it doesn’t get very cold and I’m told they are far better as a/c units. The average December/January low is 16 degrees and it doesn’t stay above freezing at night till April/May.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:11 am

I'm in Wenatchee and our electricity provided by our PUD Dams is very dependable, very rarely is out for even a few minutes to an hour. Only time I remember a lengthy outage was around 10 years ago when we had a very strong wind storm that took down many trees. Still, power was back on the next day. I'm sure the heat pump has back up electric heat strips since they are inefficient at very low temps. It would take a pretty good sized generator to run it but if you are talking about the place on Meadow Creek Rd you would be able to keep warm with the wood stove. Are you planning on doing much traveling during the Winter?

That place is one of my favorites of the places you've shown, love the basement garage. Is the detached shop big enough for the RV you are thinking about? BTW, was just kidding about getting the $1.7 million place but that is a beautiful piece of property. Would love a place like that but even if it was given to me I couldn't afford the taxes and upkeep costs. Although I did get a call last week telling me that I had won the Publisher's Clearing House grand prize of $2.something million and a new Cadillac. All I had to do was send them $500 to release the check. They didn't think it was too funny when I asked if Ed McMahon would be delivering my Cadillac and the check. :lol:
2 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:00 am

What are heat strips? I can park my teardrop in the garage.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:52 pm

Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:00 am
Electric heat coils in the air handler to provide heat when it's too cold for the heat pump.

I thought I remembered you had mentioned you were thinking of getting a larger RV for longer trips.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:33 pm

dave77 wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:52 pm
Sir Henry wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:00 am
Electric heat coils in the air handler to provide heat when it's too cold for the heat pump.

I thought I remembered you had mentioned you were thinking of getting a larger RV for longer trips.
Yes I would like a larger RV but it’s not the deciding factor.
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:03 am

I have been using heat pumps since 2002. I just replace a set in 2019. The house was built in 1997, so the systems were about 22 years old. I replaced the systems, due to freon leak in an air handler. I got the systems services once a year, and the heat pumps still seemed fine. Because of the new freon law, it made better sense to change out the systems.

Temperatures may get down to the teens, with wind chills below 0F. I did notice the heat strips kicking in, when freon was low. They are like a electric heater, yet not noticeable. But, the electric bill was noticeable. At any rate, I do keep a couple of portable gas heaters around, in case of a power outage. Wood stove or a fireplace would be nice. Yet, the house does not have either and is totally electric.
1 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:51 pm

Wind chill doesn't affect heat pump operation or the temperature of a house unless if it's a older drafty house that would allow outside air to enter. Wind chill only affects exposed skin and even then only brings the temperature of the skin down to the true temperature quicker.

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10788306/ ... ll-meaning
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:19 pm

If you are seriously considering this, look into a water source heat pump. It works better than the air type. You need a place to dump water. A pond does a grand job.

Look into it Gene.
0 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:29 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:19 pm
If you are seriously considering this, look into a water source heat pump. It works better than the air type. You need a place to dump water. A pond does a grand job.

Look into it Gene.
When it freezes I don’t think it goes that deep. When it’s 15 degrees out what is the temperature five feet down? Does the water bring earth temperature to the heat pump?
0 x

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:09 pm

dave77 wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:51 pm
Wind chill doesn't affect heat pump operation or the temperature of a house unless if it's a older drafty house that would allow outside air to enter. Wind chill only affects exposed skin and even then only brings the temperature of the skin down to the true temperature quicker.

https://www.vox.com/2016/1/19/10788306/ ... ll-meaning
I can understand. Most homes use infiltration for fresh air and are not air tight. The way that I see it, that air has to be conditioned (cold or hot). The gaps in seams may not be as big as in the past. But, there are still gaps. From what I understand, it helps with eliminating the sick house situation. If one chooses an air tight house, an air supply system is probably a good idea. In either case, I suspect the air will still have to be conditioned, regardless of the type of heating or cooling system used.
2 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).