Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Rotary Tool

All the chores, repairs, tasks and things around the old place
JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Rotary Tool

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:29 am

there are some tools that I've found I want to have readily available whether we are on the road or at home .... .... being cheap and not wanting to go to the expense purchasing two sets of tools and with us traveling for 6 months or so a year, we've found that it makes sense to have our Sportchassis serve as our mobile tool box .... as it is currently packed, we have both power and hand tools that we seldom need at home and have never needed while on the road .... something close to 20 years ago I bought the corded Black & Decker rotary tool shown below .... it has two speeds, wide open and off .. ;) .. it came in a plastic case that has two compartments .... the largest is form fitted to hold the tool with its cord .... a small compartment built into the lid is designed to hold various cutting wheels and other accessories .... while the large compartment still works just fine, the lid of the accessory area is broken .... thus, I've been looking for a replacement .... even though today's rotary tools have advantages over ours, I couldn't see replacing it .... that plus the fact that over the years many of the sanding, grinding, cutting bits are well worn, caused me to just look for a replacement attachment kit .... the search ended with ordering this one from APEXFORGE ====> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089G ... UTF8&psc=1 .... we now have 2 boxes, the original still holds the tool, the new one holds the bits ... if past history is any indicator, unless we have an unexpected, large project, we should be good to go for a good while
Attachments
180704 003 cut blade 001.jpg
180704 003 cut blade 001.jpg (57.11 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Re: Rotary Tool

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:48 am

Hey, if you're gonna have a portable tool chest, have a good one. :D ;)

The H.O. Studley chest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9QaFTI2F9c
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:52 pm

that's a dandy alright .. :D .. its also far better organized than any I'll ever have .. :lol:
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:48 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:52 pm
that's a dandy alright .. :D .. its also far better organized than any I'll ever have .. :lol:
Likewise. But I have built several wall cabinets for my shop, and also an underbench cabinet for a beat up 100 yo bench I picked up at a estate sale about 15 years ago. I bought the bench primarily for the antique vise it had on it. When I got it home, I got a good look at it, and decided to put the old vise on my other shop bench. Well one thing led to another. So did that, and then decided I'd replace the rotted out feet on the old bench. The bench top was full of nails and staples, so I had to dig all those out for starters. ;)

Here's what I started with:

And here's the refurbished bench with the drawer cabinet I built from scratch. It just sits on the cross members, not screwed down or anything. The bench itself breaks down easily for shipping or flat transporting. It's constructed totally of birdsye maple, which I didn't know until I started restoring it to working condition. Also hung a smaller face vise on it to replace original.

The small drawer/box on top of the bench is a carry box I'll load up with what I need for small tasks, when it's not in the cabinet.

Here's a better look at the old Abernathy 80D vise that came with the bench. I love this vise. Weighs about 30 lbs, and opens up to 10 inches. Still has the original maple faces on it.

2 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:52 pm

well done indeed .... that level of work is way above my paygrade .. ;)
0 x

rugrat
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by rugrat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:54 pm

Very nice work Sir!
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:00 pm

JEBar wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:52 pm
well done indeed .... that level of work is way above my paygrade .. ;)
Nah. Anybody can make a box, and that's all this really is a a big box with a few little boxes that fit inside. :)
0 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:16 am

Very nice work and I like the contrasting wood. One ?, are the drawer joints dove tail or box joints?. It is hard to tell by looking at the photos.
0 x

JEBar
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:25 pm

well, no new box needed for our vintage Black & Decker rotary tool shown in the picture in post 1 .... today I was using it to cut off rather large diameter sheet metal screw .... I got about a fourth of the way through the screw and the tool bogged down .... I eased off the pressure and the tool revved back up .... added a bit of pressure, she bogged down again and this time stopped .... dead and I mean dead ..... looked it over carefully, no reset .... ordered a Lake Blue TACKLIFE Rotary Tool Kit with MultiPro Keyless Chuck and Flex Shaft ===> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GH ... UTF8&psc=1 .... it should be here day after tomorrow .... its first job will be to finish cutting that sheet metal screw .... if this one last 20 some years like the first, I'll be well pleased with it
1 x

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:49 pm

What Norm did not show you was the Square and Compasses on the tool chest. Studley was a brother Mason.
0 x