Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Help a rookie out?

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Help a rookie out?

Post by james89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Lately I've been working on outdoor and general building skills, simply put I wanna move into the woods and I wanna pick up skills now not later. I've been working with wood lately and feel like I'm doing well. My major question is does anyone have a draw knife they can recommend? The affordable ones don't seem to be quality, and I'm hoping to buy just one. I'll also take any recomendations on supplies or techniques you think one should know. Thanks in advance :)
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Re: Help a rookie out?

Post by brm4450 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 pm

Can’t help you much, my draw knife was given to me by grandfather and it was made in the 30’s.
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:46 pm

brm4450 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:19 pm
Can’t help you much, my draw knife was given to me by grandfather and it was made in the 30’s.
That's the issue Ive been having. Everyone who likes there draw blade it's an ancient hunk of american steel that remains from a time of craftsmenship. Everyone else claims there's will hold an edge for an hour tops and while functional isn't what they hoped.... I might contact a knife maker, it would be pricey but probably a better tool.
0 x
He's undomesticated and that's fact. However he is polite, well read, and won't xxxx on your floor.

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:30 am

Check auctions for possible?
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am

There's a number of different sizes/shapes of draw knifes depending on what you want them to do.

A couple sources for these and other hand tools:

https://www.woodcraft.com/

https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of "The Woodwright's Shop" by Roy Underhill.

PS: Since you plan on using a drawknife, you'll also need to build a shaving horse to hold the workpiece. Plans for them are available on the web.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:28 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am
There's a number of different sizes/shapes of draw knifes depending on what you want them to do.

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of "The Woodwright's Shop" by Roy Underhill.

PS: Since you plan on using a drawknife, you'll also need to build a shaving horse to hold the workpiece. Plans for them are available on the web.
Thank you, and agreed on the shaving horse. I wouldn't want to be working on my lap or down the wood just to slip and hit my leg 😬
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:52 pm

james89 wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:28 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:49 am

Thank you, and agreed on the shaving horse. I wouldn't want to be working on my lap or down the wood just to slip and hit my leg 😬
You're welcome. Btw, I have an extensive digital library of books dating back to the early 1800's you might find interesting/useful. If you would like to have them on a thumb drive, pm me with your address, and I'll mail them to you.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Shakey Jake
Drover
United States of America

Post by Shakey Jake » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:31 pm

My father made one out of a lawnmower blade. Back then they were just flat blades unlike those of today. I was pretty young and didn't watch him through the entire process but remember he was pretty proud of himself.
Jake
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 pm

I bought an old one on eBay after checking them all out, it sharpened up nicely. Also found a good one at an antique store that was really reasonably priced. I am like you, I did not like the new ones available. Seems like many tools are now made cheaply and I am hesitant to buy even some name brand power tools anymore. I purchased a shingle froe from a forge in the Ukraine because I did not like what I was seeing new for sale elsewhere. You might check for U.S. independent forges for a good draw knife but it is unlikely they have one in stock so they will have to make it. But then you can tell them exactly what you want.
Also agree with the shaving horse, you probably need one and there are plenty of plans on line.
0 x

james89
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by james89 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 10:03 pm

Ernie wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:17 pm
I bought an old one on eBay after checking them all out, it sharpened up nicely. Also found a good one at an antique store that was really reasonably priced. I am like you, I did not like the new ones available. Seems like many tools are now made cheaply and I am hesitant to buy even some name brand power tools anymore. I purchased a shingle froe from a forge in the Ukraine because I did not like what I was seeing new for sale elsewhere. You might check for U.S. independent forges for a good draw knife but it is unlikely they have one in stock so they will have to make it. But then you can tell them exactly what you want.
Also agree with the shaving horse, you probably need one and there are plenty of plans on line.
I found a plan one guy claims he built with 15$ of yellow spruch from home depot. I also want a froe, and a adze, but I'm still in the beginnings a draw blade will be the cheapest of them ( most likely) and the one of the 3 I'll probably use most, ( other then obviously the axe and saw which I have already)
0 x