Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Finally Back in the Shop

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Finally Back in the Shop

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:55 pm

Finally got back in the shop after a trip to the doc on the 11th. He said I could get back to work in the shop, and to let PAIN be my guide. Don't shy away from it... but certainly don't over do it. ;) I went back into the shop and cut a few more strips of Walnut, Maple, Purple Heart, and took a couple slabs that I had used to make a rack in the gun safe before I built the new cabinet, and cut those into strips since I really liked the grain. I think I remember someone telling me it was pecan. Just bending down to hook UP the dust collector to the table saw made the shoulder scream, so I was NOT long for the shop that day. Cutting the strips was ALL I got done. Then I had to take a couple days off. :evil:

Back at it a couple days later, I checked the strips and :roll: they were going to need some love and care. They all went across the jointer, and many went back across the table saw to insure they were square. I then did a test layout and added clamp pressure. Hmmm. Need some tune up here and there. I measured width and needed some width on both the layouts. I took the purple heart leftovers, which were too short, and added some spacers to the bottom, then left them to dry overnight. I was being told none to subtlety that I was done for the day. :?

Came back out and took the strips out of the clamps and found that I needed to trim the sides. TOO thin for the jointer or the planer. Hand plane.

01 planing the purpleheart strip.jpg
01 planing the purpleheart strip.jpg (182.56 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

Beautiful hand plane and sharp as a razor, but, it still reminded me that I had a boo boo shoulder. :twisted: I got all four sides done on the two strips and they were good to go. Test fitted the layouts and put them in the clamps and applied pressure.

Layout one consists of Maple, walnut, and purpleheart with a mahogany strip for accent down the middle.

02 layout one.jpg
02 layout one.jpg (110.95 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

layout two is Walnut, maple and pecan with Purpleheart accents down the center.

03 layout two.jpg
03 layout two.jpg (114.43 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

After clamping pressure was applied to test the fit again, they were laid out, glued up and clamped, and left overnight.
04 clamps one.jpg
04 clamps one.jpg (197.28 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
05 clamps two.jpg
05 clamps two.jpg (163.1 KiB) Viewed 4030 times
I came out this morning and pulled them from the clamps and put away the clamps and ran the two boards thru the planer to remove the glue and even up both sides. Now comes the shaping of the edges and ends and lots of sanding. I am pretty happy with the way they look so far, but can't wait for the payoff when the mineral oil makes them pop.

06 out of the clamps.jpg
06 out of the clamps.jpg (163.42 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

The clamps, are back in their places.

07 everything in its place.jpg
07 everything in its place.jpg (163.76 KiB) Viewed 4030 times

As always, watch this thread for more info, pics, and information. We are far from done. :)
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Finally Back in the Shop

Post by Cofisher » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:24 pm

I admire your passion. I love good woodworking. Keep it up as long as you can. Jealous of your tools.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:24 pm
I admire your passion. I love good woodworking. Keep it up as long as you can. Jealous of your tools.
It keeps me sane. :D Thanks.

As far as the tools go, I get that a lot. But what many of the youngsters don't stop to realize, as I didn't when I was but a sprout, is they came together over a passage of forty years. ;)
I added to the collection bit by bit, buying the tool I needed for this task or that, or upgrading when I could. Many of these tools are older than my kids, and nearly all are older than my grandkids. :)

I still buy a quality tool when I need one, I just don't find I need to add tools very often. :lol:
2 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Post by Cofisher » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:12 pm

I sold off many of my big tools several years ago. I regret it regularly. Only small projects now. I admire your skills and passion.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:43 pm

Cofisher wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:12 pm
I sold off many of my big tools several years ago. I regret it regularly. Only small projects now. I admire your skills and passion.
I have thought several times of selling the scroll saw and stand. I bought it for Tina, she used it often, for a couple weeks, then went back to crochet, and her other hobbies. With the bigger shop it's stored in the corner, and I have used it a few times over the years. Without it, I would have had to use a coping saw. :D

If I sold it, I would be lucky to get a third of what they cost new, or even a quarter... So it sleeps under a cover in the corner. ;) Your regrets are exactly why it's still here. The only time I havd sold tools, or plan to again, is if I upgrade. I bought the Jet table saw twenty years ago, sold the small craftsman I had made do with for the last ten. The Jet has got me along for all this time. But there may come a time to upgrade the saw, bandsaw, jointer, etc.

:lol:
0 x

ESquared
Deputy Administrator
United States of America

Post by ESquared » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:56 am

Look forward to seeing how these turnout. As always, your commitment to perfection is admirable. Thanks for sharing!
0 x
BB Steel .357 | SGC 22LR | LR .308 | CCH 30-30 | BB Brass .45 Colt (Carbine) | Single Shot 20 gauge | Single Shot .223 | Single Shot 357

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:00 pm

I am jealous of you being able to use your shop. Spent all last week clearing out things that did not belong in my shop and found some room. Now I am putting things away and adding shelves to put more things away. My father fed my tool addiction so I will get rid of some extras as I go. Still it is a process and I have given my self a goal of Spring to have a working, workable shop again. In the mean time I enjoy seeing what you are doing and it helps keep me on track to achieve my goal. Keep up the great work!
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:22 pm

Got back out in the shop again today. Pain? Yup. But I figured I would hurt sitting in the recliner or in the shop and the shoulder was stiff, it needed to be worked. :)
Therapy is boring, moving around in the shop is at least interesting. ;)

First up, I needed to trim up the ends of the "boards." To do this, I needed the Sled for the table saw. This thing is a little over the 5 pound weight the doc told me to try and stay under. So... I kept it low as I moved it from it's place at the end of the corner bench and then tilted it up and slid it onto the table saw and slid it over til it dropped into it's slots. Easy Peasy. 8-)

I aligned each edge and made a single pass to trim up the ends. On the one cutting board I had to cut off about an inch and a quarter due to a chunk missing from the bottom of one Slice of Maple. :twisted: These things happen. Luckily, it was at the end of the board and I didn't have to FILL it in. :? Here is a view of the SLED. I made this several months ago, after needing it over and over (and over) again all these years. Makes accurate cuts for those items too big for the miter bar SO easy. Yes, this one is big and heavy, but that makes it stable.

08 sled.jpg
08 sled.jpg (127.61 KiB) Viewed 3957 times

Next step was to mark curves on the four corners of each board for cosmetics. I used a lid from a pill bottle. I keep them in the shop to mix adhesives in, for small amounts of glue/paint, or whatever. So now, they are used as corner templates. You never know. Then, I set up the band saw, and cut close to the lines, but not too close. I didn't want to change to the 1/8" blade, and the 1/2 inch blade on the band saw wouldn't make the turn. No matter, I was going to finish the corners on the disc sander anyway.

09 bandsaw.jpg
09 bandsaw.jpg (148.7 KiB) Viewed 3957 times

Once I had trimmed and then shaped both boards on the band saw and table top disc sander, I cleared the workbench and started with the 80 grit on the random orbital sander, doing the tops and edges of both cutting boards. The sanding and shaping of the cutting boards is an important step, but by this time, I was getting an important message from that right shoulder. I was rapidly approaching quitting time for today. I finished up with the 80 grit and done. Tomorrow I will start the day with filling some MINOR defects, wormholes and the like, with CA glue and appropriate sawdust. ;)

Looking good so far... starting to look like something.

10 sanded 80.jpg
10 sanded 80.jpg (140.75 KiB) Viewed 3957 times
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sun Dec 29, 2019 6:34 pm

A Need....

When there is a need during a project, you sometimes lay the project to the side and meet the need. For years, I should have built a sanding box (table?) I have needed to, just didn't get around to it. I had pulled the materials into the shop and put them aside, just didn't git it done. :no: The one thing that is involved in Cutting Boards (and Bandsaw Boxes) is a lot of sanding. So... before I really get into the next phases of the Cutting Boards, I put them aside, and started...

On the Sanding Box...

The first step was to pull the Peg Board for the top, the Flow Gate that will allow the dust collector to be hooked to the box, and cut the Decking Boards to length to form the box and internal braces.

Peg Board and Flow Gate:

11 peg board and flow gate.jpg
11 peg board and flow gate.jpg (185.65 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

The Basics Cut:

12 cut decking boards.jpg
12 cut decking boards.jpg (167.69 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Next step was to set up the saw with the dado blade to cut the rabbits to allow the peg board to sit flush on the top of the box. I swapped in the dado blade set at 1/4 inch, then used the Kreg Setup Bar Kit to set the depth of cut at 1/4 inch. The Kreg Kit was one of the tools I recently added after seeing it in a youtube vid, I have used it a lot.

13 dado blade.jpg
13 dado blade.jpg (174.09 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
14 set up bars.jpg
14 set up bars.jpg (168.17 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Once the set up was complete, I ran the four sides of the box across the dado blade to cut the rabbits for the top of the box. Next up, was to cut the hole for the flow gate before assembly. I used a spade bit to cut some relief holes then then jig saw to cut out the hole. Boom, done.

15 hole for gate.jpg
15 hole for gate.jpg (139.04 KiB) Viewed 3930 times
16 gate in place.jpg
16 gate in place.jpg (137.74 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

We were ready for assembly. The main thing to keep in mind is that the rabbits all had to be level and aligned. I used the clamps to hold things tight and a mini pry bar and mallet to bring each corner and top edge into alignment. Then screwed that top corner. Tapped the bottom into place then screwed that into place, then a center screw for strength. On to the next corner and repeat the process until the box was assembled. Then cross braces even / level with the rabbits for additional support for the vented top. The top will be supporting the weight of items being sanded. A brace across at every foot. I checked the box for square and left it for the glue to set up.

17 glued and screwed.jpg
17 glued and screwed.jpg (164.39 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

The last step was to cut the perforated top to fit, I didn't rush achieving a solid fit. I took my measurement, and got there by taking my time. I cut just shy of the line and testing. Almost there. Half a blade width trimmed off, and test again. A cut and a cut until we were golden.

18 top cut to size.jpg
18 top cut to size.jpg (166.6 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Next up will be countersunk screws to hold the top in place. This will allow removing the top if the interior of the box needs cleaned out.
I will also add an angled bottom... it will angle up from the hose connection end INSIDE the box, to just about 1-1/2 inches from the top.
This will reduce the volume inside the box and increase suction and airflow Down into the box. (in theory.)

Should be back working on the cutting boards PDQ.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jan 01, 2020 9:09 am

Last shop visit, on Monday, I got the angled bottom done as planned. This reduces the volume of the interior of the box and increases the power of the suction of the dust collector, improving the performance of the collection. (In theory.) We shall see.

The bottom:

19 angled bottom.jpg
19 angled bottom.jpg (107.46 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

Comes out a bit under the intake for the collector, then angles up so that at the final point it's about 1-1/2 inches below the top.

This is the sanding box ready to use. Note there are deck loops on the sides for the dust collector hose to attach to, and I spread my sanding pad on the top to protect the work being sanded. I'll test it this morning and see how it works. The only other mod I might make is to take a slightly larger bit to every other hole in the pegboard to increase the intake of the dust if it doesn't perform up to expectations. ;)

20 ready to go.jpg
20 ready to go.jpg (207.1 KiB) Viewed 3886 times

We will be returning this program BACK to cutting board construction.

:P
2 x