Can't get this picture out of my mind

Ernie
Drover
United States of America

Re: Can't get this picture out of my mind

Post by Ernie » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:53 am

John E Davies wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 5:02 pm
Ernie, those rear wings are indeed actual wings, or they were at one time. Those little "vanes" on top are vortex generators, for controlling airflow across the top of the airfoil at low speeds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_generator

If the intent was to simply stabilize the main hull like an ama on a polynesian canoe, (or a Hobie Adventure Island kayak) there would be no airfoil shape at all, just a thin set of strong arms to support the float(s).
John Davies
Spokane WA
Ok I see your points. I guess I wanted to see a small fast airboat and tried to ignore the canard and the airfoil design in the wings because I liked the idea of a fast, small airboat and wanted to use the basic design to make one. The idea of needing a spoiler on a vessel that would be pushing down on the prow was conflict of logic and having the wings in the rear to provide lift on the stern where all that weight of the engine was located makes sense.
This craft has instilled a desire to build a small, nimble craft to use on the local river and I am not interested in a conventional John boat. If nothing else I enjoy the thought process and gives me a reason to dig out my boat history books to look for inspiration.
But that picture still has a WOW factor for me. Hats off to the individual or people who built and tried it. Must be a guy thing.
1 x

Stray Cat
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Can't get this picture out of my mind

Post by Stray Cat » Sat Feb 24, 2024 6:13 am

When I was a youngster...50+ years ago, I'd have been all over something like this at our farm pond. However, many of my greatest death-defying feats were scuttled by the words, "JEFF! It's supper time!!!" Sometimes refilling an empty stomach will bring back common sense.
1 x
Jeff