Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Practice for the Granddaughter's Christmas Present

Post by GFK » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:24 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 10:03 am
GFK wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 8:22 am
Nice! What is her favorite thing? Maybe, that would be a good pattern as well?
She has very eclectic tastes, but I mentioned a space (planets/stars) motif and her mom said her jaw dropped. I have been playing with that. It may be well beyond my skill levels to bring THAT to life. I would love to carve/tool that for her. I have been sketching it, but can't get it to pop. :(
Seems like a winner. No pain, no gain.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 10, 2022 12:36 am

Spent the last few days working on the practice panels for the present. Now...these are practice panels for techniques and they are far from perfect and far from finished works. Some of the techniques weren't fully applied. For example, this first panel, is a floral carving and correctly finished the flower leaves would be more textured, before being painted. To be honest, I got distracted, and forgot. :? Hey, I'm old.

floral.jpg
floral.jpg (520.84 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

This space panel, was a challenge. I screwed up the shooting star, but you can't take it back. ;) Then, I tried to stain the panel and it looked awful. I painted it. Not too bad. Better after I stained the background black. I suppose it will look even better after a light antiquing tones down the paint a tad.

space.jpg
space.jpg (379.04 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

The quilted panels need a certain accent in the points of the corners, but I don't have that stamp pair. The stamps are $40 each and I don't feel like spending that right now. (ever) Unless I find another (cheaper) stamp, my quilted pattern might be found wanting. Miss T told me to order the stamps and shut it. My hearing aide suddenly failed. (It's in the drawer, perhaps that's why.)

pattern 1
quilted 1.jpg
quilted 1.jpg (547.46 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

pattern 2
quilted 2.jpg
quilted 2.jpg (596.58 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

I like the classic oak leaf and acorn pattern often found on belts. Still working on the tooling here to bring this to life.
Tina likes it as well, but agrees it could use a bit more work, especially on background shading. I didn't put too much effort on this one in that area as it's a practice panel and I was more worried about the leaf and acorns... but... perhaps I should have.

oak leaf and acorns.jpg
oak leaf and acorns.jpg (432.59 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

This last one is the one I think I'll end up going with. The hearts pattern. Everyone likes it. It's a pain in the bee-hind. It's not a HEART stamp. it's a border stamp, uniquely applied. Four stamps make up the heart. PITA, but the pattern is cool looking. placement and layout is critical for it to look good. So, guess I'll be going slow.

hearts.jpg
hearts.jpg (550.51 KiB) Viewed 2061 times

I asked my daughter if the Granddaughter would prefer color, or just the golden oak, and antiqued treatment. (Natural finished.)
Natural. I was going to do red/pink hearts and dark background. Nope, natural.

Watch this space.

Comments?
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GFK
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by GFK » Thu Nov 10, 2022 11:02 pm

Nice work! But, I am kind of liking the stars. It is something about the unknown that intrigues me. Yet, any of them is better than what I could do. They all are nice! So, it is hard to go wrong.
0 x
Actions speak louder than words (Matthew 7:16-20).