Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Next Leather Project - 22 Plinking Pouches

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Next Leather Project - 22 Plinking Pouches

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:34 pm

First step for todays work was to prep the main panel and the D-ring straps for the glue up. I took the sharp edges of the beveler and scratched up the areas where I would apply the contact cement to insure that there would be good adhesion. This insured a tight bond, at least until I could sew the Straps down.

30 Prepped for gluing.jpg
30 Prepped for gluing.jpg (149.57 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Next, I very carefully painted a thin coat of contact cement onto the prepared areas. This meant watching the tip of the brush, and spinning it to contain any drips prior to leaving the can. :evil: I learned this the hard way when I dripped on a previous project. Finish won't penetrate thru or adhere to contact cement. :twisted: Here the cement is applied and curing for the required time to turn tacky.

31 cement curing.jpg
31 cement curing.jpg (203.42 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Next you CAREFULLY apply the straps in the indicated areas, insuring they are facing the correct direction. Putting one on UPSIDE down would suck. :cry: Not that I have ever done that. :? Put them on and put the clamps in place.

32 Glued and Clamped.jpg
32 Glued and Clamped.jpg (106.28 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

While the glue sets, I oiled the side panels, then burnished the edges. Buffed them out and applied the antiquing. Then wiped away the excess and set them aside to dry. This means they are all drying and awaiting the sewing on of the straps.

33 ready for sewing.jpg
33 ready for sewing.jpg (173.84 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Once that is done a bit later, we can mark and measure for the box stitching, and we'll be done. Waiting in the wings... ?
The kit for the second pouch.

pouch kit #2.jpg
pouch kit #2.jpg (71.6 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

Already I have to decide... do I duplicate this project and let my friend decide which she likes better? (Likely avenue) Or go with a basketweave direction, and STILL let her decide... Miss T likes this one fine and would be good either way.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:46 pm

** of course, when I said kit, I didn't mean over the counter kit. :roll:
I meant the extra collection of materials I duplicated with every intention of making two of these. ;)

:twisted:
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jul 25, 2022 11:52 pm

Got out in the shop and pulled out the big gun, My Cowboy 3200. Time to sew down the D-Ring straps. I was able to do that since I had access on the flat main panel. The box stitching will have to be done by hand. I had a high pucker factor here, haven't had much time at the controls of this thing and still learning.

35 cowboy 3200.jpg
35 cowboy 3200.jpg (159.69 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

It was slow and steady on the mark, but I was very happy with the results.

36 sewn down.jpg
36 sewn down.jpg (155.13 KiB) Viewed 1518 times

Tomorrow I'll set the bottom snap, then began the Box Stitch process.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:08 pm

So, first step this morning was to measure and mark the location of the snap bottom for the pouch. Punch the hole, then seat the snap. Knocked that out first thing so I didn't forget after creating all the holes for sewing together the pouch and then having to try and seat a snap INSIDE the pouch. :|

37 snap.jpg
37 snap.jpg (210.07 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Once that was done, I marked the double line of holes that needed to be put thru the main panel. They are simple thru holes that normally I would have knocked out on the drill press, but I decided to knock out by hand. I didn't have an awl with a small enough diameter. Hmmm. Need a tool make a tool. I have seen that several times, so... I made one.

38 make a tool.jpg
38 make a tool.jpg (185.58 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

It worked well, but I might make another with a fine finishing nail so I can just press through, rather than hand drilling. As you can see, the drill worked fine. The first line was nice and neat.

39 one side done.jpg
39 one side done.jpg (112.5 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

As I did on another project, I turned the panel over and using a freshly sharpened pencil, I inserted the lead in each hole and twisted. It opened that back side hole a bit and left a graphite bullseye, this will make seeing the holes to sew much easier. You can easily see the difference in the half that have been done and the half of the line that are still waiting for the treatment.

40 pencil bullseyes.jpg
40 pencil bullseyes.jpg (197.96 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

Now the main panel is done and time for a break. Once I have lunch and watch a few Big Bang Theory episodes, my hands should be rested and I can work on the side panels. Then we can box stitch this bad boy.

41 Main panel setup.jpg
41 Main panel setup.jpg (128.3 KiB) Viewed 1514 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:16 pm

Okay, lunch was so good, I took a nap.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:25 pm

Out in the shop to prep the side panels for sewing. The process is slow and a PITA. :twisted: The first step was to align the main panel and mark the first hole. I did that and pushed the awl thru and formed the first hole, then pushed a needle thru the first pair, to lock that panel in place. With it locked in, I marked the first half dozen holes. I removed the panel and formed them. I put the panel back in place, and put two needles thru the first and last hole pairs formed. I marked another half dozen, then repeated the process. I worked my way around the side panel in this manner to insure the holes would align when it came time to sew.

Here is the process. For step one, you push the awl straight down in the surface to anchor the awl when you begin, then push at an angle that shoots for the center of the side of the leather.

42 one.jpg
42 one.jpg (175.84 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

The next step is to come back up from the side of the leather and out thru the starting hole and twist to open the path.

43 two.jpg
43 two.jpg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Then use that sharpened pencil bullseye trick on each hole.

44 bullseyes.jpg
44 bullseyes.jpg (144.69 KiB) Viewed 1504 times

Work your way all the way around, carefully insuring that all the holes are aligned and centered. This takes two to three times longer than the main panel. Maybe after a number of projects it will become easier. :? I got one done, and stopped. With all my joint issues, I know when to take a break.

45 done.jpg
45 done.jpg (249.08 KiB) Viewed 1504 times
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:22 am

Out after dinner last night and got to sewing. All the prep work made the job "Easi-Er" ;)
I was very pleased after I finished the first side that it turned out well. I got a nod of approval from the Boss.
The first few stitches are the hardest as the project flops around, but once you get those tight, you have a better time of it.
You always leave the last stitch a bit loose to ease the next, then pull them both tight, then allow the last one to loosen a bit.
Repeat. When you backstitch the last, you pull very tight and lock them. Burning melts them together and you are good.

46 box stitch.jpg
46 box stitch.jpg (178.01 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

The very last pucker factor here was adding the top half of the snap, but that went well also, and I'm done. Except for waxing or adding leather sheen, that finish that gives those leather holsters that shiny look. I'll let the one who is to receive it decide.

47 done.jpg
47 done.jpg (102.07 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

A side view:

48 side view.jpg
48 side view.jpg (153.46 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

One with it open:

open.jpg
open.jpg (156.03 KiB) Viewed 1499 times

I was really happy as this is an original design and it turned out exactly as planned. I can and will tweek future builds as I do with every design. Each one gets minor changes. (Which don't always turn out to be improvements.) :roll: But, that's just the way we are... gotta tweek stuff.

I think it will work. If it dies later. I'll build her another.
2 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:08 pm

Most excellent BOM!! I wish I had your patientence ! I am sure that your friend will be very pleased with your gift.

Sorry for the type. I spilled my sweet tea on part of my keyboard last night. I am trying to find all offfffffffffff keys that are stuck. Anybody know a good way to clean the sticky offffffff? :twisted:

Muddy Waters68
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 28, 2022 8:27 am

MuddyWaters62 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:08 pm
Most excellent BOM!! I wish I had your patientence ! I am sure that your friend will be very pleased with your gift.

Sorry for the type. I spilled my sweet tea on part of my keyboard last night. I am trying to find all offfffffffffff keys that are stuck. Anybody know a good way to clean the sticky offffffff? :twisted:

Muddy Waters68
Run it through the dishwasher.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

RetiredSeabee
Administrator
United States of America

Post by RetiredSeabee » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:45 pm

Really nice looking pouch you have skills. Have you considered making one with belt loops?
0 x
Load on Sunday and Shoot all Week.......okay it's a Mare's Leg I will reload on Wednesday. ;)