Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Second Pouch For the Kid

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Second Pouch For the Kid

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 13, 2022 8:11 am

I made a pouch earlier for the daughter in Southern OK to carry her epi-pen. It turned out okay. I learned new techniques to make the pouch, made mistakes, and it still didn't get tossed. :lol: She liked it.

34 Done.jpg
34 Done.jpg (105.51 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

So, I told her I would make a second pouch, but this time in Veg Tanned leather that can be carved and tooled to be "pretty" which I like to do. She said she could use a dressy pouch. I won't do a complete build along thread, step by step, as there didn't seem to be too much interest in the last, and if you want step by step, it's the same as the last, MINUS the mistakes. Hopefully. ;)

But, I cut out the veg tanned leather and have tooled the main body, with basketweave. Slow and steady. Then added trim around the edges to hide the fade. That blank center area is the BACK which will ride against her hip when the pouch is folded and hung from the d-rings on a lanyard. Didn't want to tool that area as it would attract dirt and grime.

05 stamped.jpg
05 stamped.jpg (174.86 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

Flipped the panel and made the relief cuts on the back so I can fold the leather without cracking it when we get to that point.

04 relief cuts.jpg
04 relief cuts.jpg (213.94 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

I cut the strap for the D-Rings and tooled a Serpentine pattern down the center. Fancy.

06 Rough Strap.jpg
06 Rough Strap.jpg (199.5 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

Then squared the ends, and cut the strap in half so I had two, and burnished the edges, folded and glued with the d-rings in place.

07 cut glued and clamped.jpg
07 cut glued and clamped.jpg (186.35 KiB) Viewed 2585 times

My leather work bench is growing. We added a second LED spotlight to eliminate the shadows when carving. Big Difference. The lights come from Hobby Lobby. Very nice.

08 leather bench is improving.jpg
08 leather bench is improving.jpg (198.72 KiB) Viewed 2585 times
2 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Second Pouch For the Kid

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Jul 13, 2022 7:32 pm

Time to attach the D Rings. I placed them in the appropriate locations and marked that with a thin pencil line down each side. This tells me where they will lay on the back of the pouch and will aide in placement once they have contact cement applied, and WHERE to put the cement on the cut out leather.

09 placed.jpg
09 placed.jpg (164.99 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

I lay the two assemblies aside, and apply a thin layer of contact cement to the indicated area on the form. Then I choose the best side of each of the assemblies and then turn them over and apply contact cement there. Give them about 15 minutes to get tacky and ... VERY carefully, place them. you only get ONE shot at this point. Clamp applied and they are allowed to set for an hour.

10 glued and clamped.jpg
10 glued and clamped.jpg (196.21 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

I come back out and mark the holes with the pricking fork down both sides of the serpentine accent. Just deep enough to insure I can see it.
Pull the cover off the drill press and drill thru all three layers of leather. Boom, ready to hand sew the assemblies down with a saddle stitch. Since they will be carrying the weight, I sew down the length and back up. Sweet.

11 saddle stitched.jpg
11 saddle stitched.jpg (156.24 KiB) Viewed 2571 times

Next step it to locate where the snap will go and set the snap. Then, box stitching. :?
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:49 pm

Looking good as always. Your stamping and engraving skills seem to get better on each new project.
Keep up the good work.

Muddy Waters68
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:18 pm

Well, I got back at it today, and marked the holes with the pricking fork. I drilled the thru holes on the drill press to make them tighter. Then just marked the one on the side with the fork and pushed them thru with the awl. That angle that put them centered. This is the worst part of the entire process, making these dang holes, also the most critical.

12 awl.jpg
12 awl.jpg (154.79 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

Then I tweeked them from the edge and then twisted a pencil in every hole to leave a lead ring marking the entrance. I felt it would make them easier to see. (I was right.) ;)

13 holes.jpg
13 holes.jpg (124.65 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

Before sewing, I determined where I was going to put the snap, and using a punch, I made the hole and set the base of the snap. Now I was good to go on the sewing, the dreaded box stitch.

14 snap.jpg
14 snap.jpg (188.73 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

Okay, let's get started on the sewing... slow and easy so we don't tear out or push a needle thru the leather where it doesn't below. Because I measured and aligned in the hole making process, it all went smoothly.

15 begin stitching.jpg
15 begin stitching.jpg (188.67 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

I used a larger waxed thread, and smaller holes, I think the look is much better on this one.

16 completed.jpg
16 completed.jpg (149.14 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

A side view. You can see the stitching, and the better fit compared to the last pouch.

17 Side View.jpg
17 Side View.jpg (241.96 KiB) Viewed 2553 times

Now Jess has to decide on the finish. I knocked out some test pieces of leather and swiped them with the four various Watco oils I had on hand. I sent a pic of the results to my daughter. An hour or so later, she came back with her choice. Golden Oak it is. I am going to make a matching leather strap to match the pouch, she just needs to let me know the length she wants. So finish will wait until I get the strap done, I'll finish them both at once.

18 rough finish samples.jpg
18 rough finish samples.jpg (142.63 KiB) Viewed 2553 times
Watch this space.... :P
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:06 pm

You are really getting good. When are you turning pro?
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:02 pm

I'm retired. :D Turning pro would take the fun out of the hobby. ;) 8-)
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jul 15, 2022 6:20 pm

Applied the Golden Oak finish to the pouch. Sorry, couldn't wait to finish the strap. I wanted to see the finished pouch. Other than waxing, this is what it will look like. :)

19 Golden Oak applied.jpg
19 Golden Oak applied.jpg (133.85 KiB) Viewed 2532 times
20 second view.jpg
20 second view.jpg (211.94 KiB) Viewed 2532 times

I think the kid made the right choice. It would have been mine as well. The slight yellow (golden) tint is nice. The finish actually came out very even, the lighter color in the middle is either drying or the lighting. Poor photographer. ;)
0 x