Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Tip for Parts for old Craftsman Bandsaw

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Tip for Parts for old Craftsman Bandsaw

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:10 am

I have an older Craftsman 14" BS (Model 119-2002002) that broke a drive belt yesterday, and went web surfing for a replacement. This saw is out of production so searching for parts for it using the Sears/Craftsman search criteria is unproductive. But I discovered that many of the parts for it are identical to the Rikon 10-325 saw. So if anyone besides me has one of these older 14" Craftsman saws, you can likely get many common parts from the Rikon site.

https://www.rikonparts.com/
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: Tip for Parts for old Craftsman Bandsaw

Post by Ernie » Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:25 pm

Have done the Craftsman parts search for a couple tools. Fortunately the Craftsman tools were made by someone who was also making tools for another retailer. I have been lucky to find common parts to fit what I needed so far. One of these days that won't be the case. I honestly never thought Sears would collapse.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 12:49 am

I have a old Craftsman miter saw that I broke the handle on, no luck finding a replacement. Lots of epoxy made for plastic and so far it's staying together.👍 Probably be OK as long as I keep a sharp blade on it so I don't have to put a lot of pressure on it.
0 x

PJM
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by PJM » Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:54 am

If you still have the belt and it is a v-belt you could measure it and maybe find a replacement on the Gates or Stens website.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:18 am

PJM wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 5:54 am
If you still have the belt and it is a v-belt you could measure it and maybe find a replacement on the Gates or Stens website.
Other people have suggested the same thing, but It's not a common V belt. It's a 3/8" wide flat ribbed belt made specifically for this model of saw. I ordered one yesterday from Rikon.

Generally speaking you won't find many woodworking tools that use a automotive type of drive belt. The reason for that has to do with vibration control and the abrasive environment they have to operate in. For example, my table saw uses forged and balanced pulleys and a link belt, instead of the cheap stamped steel pulleys and V belt. Makes a big difference in the operation of the saw, and therefore in the quality of the cuts.
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.