Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

chainsaw sharpener

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

chainsaw sharpener

Post by Ernie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Ordered a Speed Sharp professional chain sharpener from Sharpening Supplies. I have had a few requests for sharpening chains and I figured it would be worth it to have a good electric system for the future.It will handle up to 3/4" chains but doubt I will ever see one that large.
3702930-z.jpg
3702930-z.jpg (99.95 KiB) Viewed 3609 times
Something else I can do for cash in the shop, and after 30 chains it is paid for. There used to be a guy local who sharpened chains but he passed and people are asking around.
2 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: chainsaw sharpener

Post by markiver54 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:54 pm

Interestig Ernie! Never knew such a thing existed. I have taken mine to be sharpened a few times for about $8.00 apiece.
Don't know what that costs, but cool!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:18 pm

we bought an electric sharpener back in the 70's when we were clearing a rather heavily forested area .... it still plugged in and ready to go
0 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:31 pm

Never could understand the mentality of using a chain until it won't cut anymore, then take it to someone to sharpen. I touch up my chains every tank of gas or so. Just a couple strokes per tooth. Keeps it throwing long shavings. After a big hurricane here many years ago, I was cutting wood along with a neighbor who bought a brand new Stihl. Nice saw. I had a little Poulan. His saw was a larger, more powerful saw. I always outcut him 2 to one, or more. He commented that he should have bought a Poulan. I told him he should just learn how to keep his chain sharp.

Fortunately for folks like you, there are plenty out there who will take it to someone and pay to have it sharpened. More power to you.
0 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:57 pm

I got this when I got my Stihl chainsaw, don't know it would work with any brand chains. Sharpens and files down the depth gauge at the same time.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain ... /2in1file/
0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:23 pm

dave77 wrote:
Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:57 pm
I got this when I got my Stihl chainsaw, don't know it would work with any brand chains. Sharpens and files down the depth gauge at the same time.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain ... /2in1file/
I have one of those too. good tool.
0 x

Cattle Driver
Australia

Post by 220 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:44 pm

Have a couple similar to the one pictured by the OP I have been using for years.
I think they are fantastic, tooth angle and length is totally consistent. Downside with most is they are a workshop tool and no good for field sharpening. The latest one I purchased a couple of years back solves that problem as it is a 18v rechargeable version. I run at least 4 chains for each of my saws so by the time they are all blunt I have usually had enough of hanging off a chainsaw for the day but it is nice to have option to sharpen in the field if I need it.
2 x