Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Metabo chop saw

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Metabo chop saw

Post by Ernie » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:05 pm

I decided I needed a 12" saw for making a new bench. I want to be able to cut 4X4 lumber in one clean cut so I have been reading reviews and looking at chop saws for several months. Today I bought a Metabo slider/dual bevel chop saw with a 15. amp motor. I figured I could put it on my Dewalt stand but after setting it up on a bench I am not sure it will work, this is a big saw. I set it up, adjusted the laser and the guides/stops and am taking a break to eat supper. If I am still motivated afterwards I will see if I can get it on the stand.
IMG_0966.jpeg
IMG_0966.jpeg (155.23 KiB) Viewed 3295 times
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Re: Metabo chop saw

Post by JEBar » Sat Mar 13, 2021 5:09 pm

impressive saw .... I'm not familiar with that brand .... please be sure to continue updates .... your assessment of its performance as you put it to work would be appreciated
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 pm

Metabo HPT is the new name for Hitachi. I purchased their cordless 7¼" circular saw, hammer drill and impact driver last year and they are great, put my Craftsman stuff to shame. Especially the circular saw, it's 36 volt and no problem at all cutting 2" lumber, even cut a 4x4, had to cut 3 sides but did not bog down even on the first cut. The impact driver is also very impressive, 3 torque setting and so far I haven't even used the highest setting.

I might have to get a new chop saw, I put mine on the hood of my truck which I have done many times before but the last time it slid off and broke the handle, they don't make the handle anymore so I'm hoping I can epoxy it back together. I looked at the Metabo chop saws at Lowes, like you I want a slider but don't know if I can justify the price of the Metabo's for the amount I would be using it. They actually make a cordless miter saw but its way over my budget at $1249

https://www.toolboxbuzz.com/cordless-to ... aw-review/

0 x

Ernie
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ernie » Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:45 am

Nice set of tools. :D
I relied on a Metabo angle grinder while building and maintaining an anodizing plant to cut steel repairing tanks and plumbing most days and was very impressed with the durability. It was abused for years but kept on doing what needed to be done and when it finally quit I replaced it with a newer model that did just as well. That was a big part of the reason for choosing their chop saw. The quality of many new tools has dropped so much that I try to repair the older tools that I have or be willing to spend more for a tool that will hopefully not have to be replaced in my lifetime.
An older friend told me that a "poor man cannot afford to buy cheap tools". That makes sense to me and I try to buy the best tool that I can afford instead of spending more money to replace broken "bargains".
0 x

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:34 am

dave77 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:21 pm
Metabo HPT is the new name for Hitachi.

good to know, Hitachi I'm familiar with .... we have a couple of their battery impact drills and they have worked well
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:02 pm

I was showing a contractor friend the photo of my Metabo's and we got to talking about cordless tools. I mentioned that I had always thought DeWalt's were high quality and he said he considered them about the same as Craftsman. He liked my Metabo's, he said he uses Milwaukee's and considers them the best.
0 x