Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A New Project in the New Shop

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A New Project in the New Shop

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am

Gunny,

Thanks for the input. I use the shop vac on the miter saw, but I have a very nice Jet canister dust collector that has served me well. Your advice IS excellent though. I also have the overhead air filter for the smaller airborne particles.

You can see the Jet Dust Collector in this old thread.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7529

I recently added a Shark Guard system to the table saw, which supplements the cabinent dust collection with overhead dust collection coming over the blade guard. I'm loving that, just can't run it using the dado blade.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:47 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:01 am
Gunny,

Thanks for the input. I use the shop vac on the miter saw, but I have a very nice Jet canister dust collector that has served me well. Your advice IS excellent though. I also have the overhead air filter for the smaller airborne particles.

You can see the Jet Dust Collector in this old thread.

http://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=7529

I recently added a Shark Guard system to the table saw, which supplements the cabinent dust collection with overhead dust collection coming over the blade guard. I'm loving that, just can't run it using the dado blade.
Excellent! I thought you might have a full up system, but couldn't see it in the pics. I initially had a Penn State bagger, but hated it. It was noisy, takes up a lot of floor space, detracted from the blower efficiency as the bags filled up, and of course emptying the bags was a pain in the rear, so mounted the blower on an outside wall and ditched the bags. Not everyone can blow their dust outside of course, but out here in the woods it's not a concern.

Here's a pic of "Medusa" as I call her ;) . The front comes off so I can clear any clogs at the blower intake, which happens a lot if I'm using the planer.

Anyway, for anyone else contemplating a woodshop, here's some info on how to set up a good system:

https://www.woodmagazine.com/workshop/d ... ion?page=1
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:26 am

Thanks for the input gunny. We still arent settled in, but my long range plan involves placing both the compressor and the dust collector on the other side of the shared wall with my "boathouse/storage". They'll be out of the shop, but protected from the heat/cold/inclimate weather and theft. In addition, the insulated wall will insulate me from their noise. :D It might be a while, low on my list, but it's there.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:08 pm

Got back out in the shop today, and back at it. The first step was to disassemble the temporary test fit. First I removed the two band clamps and recoiled them for storage. I like to keep all my tools neat, so they are ready for the next use.

01 band clamps.jpg
01 band clamps.jpg (158.12 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

Next, they go back in their home in the Band Clamp drawer.... if I put things away, I know where they are the next time I need them. When I had that Tiny shop, 12x20 Amish wooden building, it was doubly important, or I spent great amounts of my shop time looking for items in the clutter.

02 stored.jpg
02 stored.jpg (189.27 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

Once I had the clamps apart, I methodically disassembled the display case, and MARKED the individual parts in an area where the mark would NOT disappear during sanding or finishing. This is NOT always possible, and sometimes you have to use painters tape and move the marks then reaffix them. You'll see some pictures where the piece is laying on the bench with the tape square stuck beside it.

03 label the parts.jpg
03 label the parts.jpg (179.97 KiB) Viewed 3224 times

During finishing, the area where these marks are will be covered with painters tape to keep the finish off as glue will not stick to the oiled surface. This will keep these marks safe and allow the proper fit when the frame is reassembled.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:16 pm

The next thing to do is prepare to use the molding planes. I have a drawer with a dozen or so antique molding planes I got from Lee Valley. I love these things, and use them whenever I can instead of a router. Less noise, less mess, and pride in using the hand tools ... Plus I love the sound they make when properly set up.... a soft whisk.

04 molding planes.jpg
04 molding planes.jpg (151.07 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

The first step is to sharpen the old iron in the plane you have chosen... I just sharpen the flat side. As long as you haven't dinged up the off side, that's all it takes. I don't have to use the waterstones like I would on the regular planes and chisels, the diamond stone and leather strop gets the job done.

05 before you start.jpg
05 before you start.jpg (104.31 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

What? My Yeti Cup? A gift from my Wife and Daughter for the shop.... it says, "This is my Happy Face." My Grandkids call me "Grumpy."

06 grumpy yeti.jpg
06 grumpy yeti.jpg (80.14 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

Once the plane was tuned, I make a few passes on a scrap of the same wood the frame is made from, made some adjustments, then made a few more passes. Stropped the iron, and we were ready to go.

07 testing.jpg
07 testing.jpg (155.16 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:24 pm

I worked the edges of the four sides of the frame that were adjacent to the dado for the glass, rolling the edge to a pleasant shape. This is NOT done with a special bit in the router but by hand and eye. I will touch up any uneven spots with a sanding block, and really, only I will see the difference unless some other woodworker is critiquing my work hanging on the wall. ;)

08 working the pieces.jpg
08 working the pieces.jpg (160.38 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

I took my time, made light passes letting the sharp plane do the work. If you force it, or try to muscle the old planes they tend to dig in. The blade is barely protruding from the mouth of the plane. I start with the plane angled 45 degrees off the flat sides and make a couple shaving passes, then angle back one way or the other on each consecutive pass, until the shape is done.

09 all four done.jpg
09 all four done.jpg (205.56 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

It may be a bit hard to see here, but I think they turned out well. Now I will have to sharpen the card scrapers and get busy smoothing the inside and outside faces. Final smoothing will be done with a sanding block, but if the card scraper does it's job, there will be very little to sand.

10 can you see the result.jpg
10 can you see the result.jpg (162.36 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

Miss Tina has the center panel and has started her part, we are moving forward. :)
Last edited by BrokenolMarine on Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:30 pm

Since we have some time, I thought you might like a tour of the new shop, sorta. I will turn to the right, making a complete turn. Feel free to ask questions.
11 shop tour 1.jpg
11 shop tour 1.jpg (212.98 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
12 shop tour 2.jpg
12 shop tour 2.jpg (205.8 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
13 shop tour 3.jpg
13 shop tour 3.jpg (202.83 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
14 shop tour 4.jpg
14 shop tour 4.jpg (222.52 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
15 shop tour 5.jpg
15 shop tour 5.jpg (237.2 KiB) Viewed 3223 times
16 shop tour 6.jpg
16 shop tour 6.jpg (214.31 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

stepping thru the red door, puts you in the boathouse and storage area, and leads to outside. The big door in the woodshop has been sealed for the winter. I'll cut that door vertically and make a 3' and 6' door that opens like a hinged batwing door in the spring so it can be made to seal better and not leak. As the side rolling door it is now it was a sieve. Spray foam stopped that.

17 boathouse and storage.jpg
17 boathouse and storage.jpg (191.42 KiB) Viewed 3223 times

The kayaks and trailer, mower, and things like the clamp rack and other large rarely used tools are stored in the boathouse. This side is unheated. I WILL sprayfoam this later as well....
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Wed Nov 25, 2020 4:03 pm

Very nice, that is, the project AND your new shop! Just wish I had that much space to work in.
Congratulations! You have come a long way in short order!
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:06 pm

RR;
Are you going to cover the walls with a hard panel or sheet rock? Great looking shop!
I'm green. Keep up the good work.

Muddy Waters 67
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:30 pm

I don't really have a way to attach it easily.
I may hang another peg board on the wall here or there, but not going to put funds into cosmetics, too many other places to put it.
1 x