Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A New Project in the New Shop

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A New Project in the New Shop

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:03 am

One other advantage I forgot to mention about using the moulding planes rather than a router. I think back to all the times I had gotten to this point in a project, and that bit turning eleventy thousand rpm caught some tiny flaw, slipped in the collet, or I made some error because I'm not perfect... (Most often rounding an end off, cured by adding a sacrificial board to the layout when routing.)...

A router has ruined a piece in a flash... The moulding plane, sharp blade and properly adjusted, shaves slowly, and controlled thin layers are removed. Did I mention it's quiet... I can hear the radio while it whisks away the oak.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Travlin
Cowboy

Post by Travlin » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:59 pm

I still have my grandfather's Stanley 45 and the box full of cutters. I have used it to make several types of moldings and found that the only limit is my own imagination. So keep up the good work with the molding planes.
1 x

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:10 am

You can call me a weirdo, but I just want to stand there and smell the fresh cut wood.
0 x
I never take myself seriously....

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:55 am

Dahliathemeh wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:10 am
You can call me a weirdo, but I just want to stand there and smell the fresh cut wood.
I love the smells in the shop when projects are in progress.
My favorite?
The British beeswax I use at the end. It smells great. Anytime I smell it, it smells like victory. :)
1 x

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:58 am

One of the joys of woodworking! ☺
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:23 am

Y'all wood sniffers need to be a little careful. Usually the smell means there's very fine dust (floaters) in the air, and the dust of some woods is downright toxic.

Here's a list of many domestic and exotic woods and their effects:

https://www.wood-database.com/wood-arti ... -toxicity/
0 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:22 pm

GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:23 am
Y'all wood sniffers need to be a little careful. Usually the smell means there's very fine dust (floaters) in the air, and the dust of some woods is downright toxic.

I have found only a few woods I am sensitive to, black walnut being one, and only mildly so. However, as I have more than enough health issues as it is, I do my best to take precautions.

Note in the "tour" pics above the Jet canister dust collector, the overhead hose for the shark guard system for the table saw, and the ceiling mounted Jet air filter. In addition, I have a good quality mask with filters for sanding and the like.

Black walnut would give me a headache and/or irritate my eyes until I improved the dust collection attachments to both the planer and jointer; and added the respiratory mask. Face shield helps a lot. :)

I plan to order a 1 x 30 or 1 x 42 belt sander in the next 12 months for knife making. Primarily for shaping the handles. Dust collection will be a concern. ;)
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks for the chart btw, I have saved it to my desktop.
0 x

GunnyGene
Drover
United States of America

Post by GunnyGene » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:54 pm

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:22 pm
GunnyGene wrote:
Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:23 am

I have found only a few woods I am sensitive to, black walnut being one, and only mildly so. However, as I have more than enough health issues as it is, I do my best to take precautions.

Note in the "tour" pics above the Jet canister dust collector, the overhead hose for the shark guard system for the table saw, and the ceiling mounted Jet air filter. In addition, I have a good quality mask with filters for sanding and the like.

Black walnut would give me a headache and/or irritate my eyes until I improved the dust collection attachments to both the planer and jointer; and added the respiratory mask. Face shield helps a lot. :)

I plan to order a 1 x 30 or 1 x 42 belt sander in the next 12 months for knife making. Primarily for shaping the handles. Dust collection will be a concern. ;)
The worst wood I've ever worked with was purple heart. Pretty wood, but nasty stuff to work with. I don't have a ceiling mounted filter for dust ( no room for it), but do have a large window fan that exhausts outside. Even then dust will still settle on upper surfaces if I close up the shop for a day or 2.

Also made a downdraft sanding box for hand sanding or ROS use on small stuff, and a shroud box behind the miter saw that is connected to the Penn State blower (Medusa) I mentioned earlier. And of course, wear a good mask.

Seems like that no matter what you do, you're never going to get rid of all the floaters. :roll: Interesting that back before power tools, dust was not a big issue. ;)

PS: If you're interested, I have a large collection of old woodworking and related books in PDF format. 120 titles, about 1.6GB if you're interested. PM me your mailing addy and I'll put them on a chip and mail it to you.
1 x
Bellum Omnium Contra Omnes is rapidly becoming a reality (11/2023). Para Bellum.

Dahliathemeh
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by Dahliathemeh » Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:41 pm

Thanks for the info!
0 x
I never take myself seriously....