Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Metal Detecting

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Re: Metal Detecting

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:05 pm

Can understand that feeling and discovery!
0 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:07 pm

Mistered wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:26 pm
You will dig a lot of trash for the occasional nice find
that's for sure .... I'm not much of one to go walking just for the sake of walking .... I do thoroughly enjoy swinging a detector and don't mind walking when doing so ....
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:09 pm

again, I didn't get one for it's intended purpose. aside from finding my daugther's lost in the grass ring, I've used it to locate linkage parts that came loose from my tractor. Even a bunch of loose nails someone scattered where the intersection of our private gravel road meets the county road.
0 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

markiver54
Deputy Marshal
United States of America

Post by markiver54 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:27 pm

Mags wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:09 pm
again, I didn't get one for it's intended purpose. aside from finding my daugther's lost in the grass ring, I've used it to locate linkage parts that came loose from my tractor. Even a bunch of loose nails someone scattered where the intersection of our private gravel road meets the county road.
Can serve many purposes obviously. Never really thought about it's usefulness finding those things that the " borrowers as the wife calls them, take on occasion. :lol:
1 x
I'm your Huckleberry

JEBar
Town Marshal / Deputy Admin
United States of America

Post by JEBar » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:12 am

there have been times I've thought ours specializes in finding discarded beer can tabs .... haven't seen any on cans for years and yet I've found them all over the country .. :roll:
1 x

clovishound
Drover
United States of America

Post by clovishound » Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:39 am

I always wanted to try an underwater detector when I used to do a lot of river diving, looking for artifacts. I talked to some of the guys that used them, and the consensus was that they actually did better for their time looking, rather than metal detecting. Lots of pop tops, sinkers, odd a assorted bits of metal, very little good stuff.

My buddy has two of them now that I could borrow, but I haven't been in the water for several years. I did drop my regulator off with him to go through the other day, and may try getting back in the water next year. If so, I'll probably try out the detector just for giggles and grins. I always did want to find just a little gold. Not greedy, one coin, one piece of jewelry.

Too bad they won't detect Clovis points!
2 x
There is, I think, humor here which does not translate well from English to sanity. - Sanya

brettitt41
Wrangler
United States of America

Post by brettitt41 » Sun May 31, 2020 8:37 pm

I used to detect quite often. Mostly for relics from the war of Northern aggression. I've found civil war relics from New York all the way down to Vicksburg. After doing some local research and quite a few days searching I found the site of an 1832 indian removal fort which was part of the trail of tears. Its a backyard to a nice couple in a subdivision now for the most part. I donated several of my local finds from a civil war skirmish here in my hometown to the local history center to display. Found a spot where some confederate soldiers captured a Union soldier, I think, as I found knapsack hooks and rivets and various other objects and 6 complete unfired Spencer rounds in about a 5' circle. My thought is they captured him stripped him of his equipment, I found a couple of uniform buttons nearby, and emptied his rifle. I liked finding the uniform buttons. Knowing the last person to touch it was the soldier wearing it so many years ago. My favorite button is from a soldier of the 1st Continental Congress Light Artillery. That's a uniform button from before we were even the United States but were fighting to become them.
bwarwar.jpg
bwarwar.jpg (138.79 KiB) Viewed 3781 times
4 x
" Freedom is the right to tell people what they don't want to hear."

Henry H010 X

EasyEd
Cowhand
Canada

Post by EasyEd » Sun May 31, 2020 10:35 pm

Hey All,

I have certainly been thinking about getting one - maybe xp orx or the minelab 800.

My interests are 2/3rds gold 1/3rd other stuff.

I have spent time in gold country in multiple states and have always been interested. I think it may be a great way to spend time outdoors doing something specific and testing some of my likely wacko theories on ancient geology an gold and explore some old homesteads an such. Likely do some target shooting as well.

Maybe I been watching too much Yukon gold, Parker's trail and Aussie gold hunters. My wife says at least I'm not gonna buy bib overalls an start making moonshine. :)

Good to see others detecting as well.

-Ed-
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:08 am

I might buy one down the road. We just bought a new place, be fun to probe around it.
0 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

dasmoeturhead
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dasmoeturhead » Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:19 pm

I decided to join the ranks, and just ordered a Fisher F4 metal detector. Looking forward to giving it a try.
0 x
I'm a Ship that can't be Salvaged!