Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Anyone here know why SASS is against 22s?

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Liberty
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Anyone here know why SASS is against 22s?

Post by Liberty » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:20 am

I'd love to get involved in SASS, but the last I heard, you had to have large caliber guns.
Using larger calibers would put me in the poor house. Any thoughts on this?
0 x
You learn very little the second time you get kicked by a horse.

I love my Henry Silver Eagle H004SEM!

Blackdog
Cowhand
United States of America

Re: Anyone here know why SASS is against 22s?

Post by Blackdog » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:29 am

In my experience they are a pretty closed group. If you can't afford to play they don't want you. I tried to go watch a match once - was told I'd have to ride in a member's car, no guest vehicles allowed...something about insurance.

Have you hear of Lever Action Silhouette? We don't get dressed up, have funny names or speed shooting.
M
2 x

North Country Gal
Firearms Advisor
United States of America

Post by North Country Gal » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:59 am

Might be that the 22 LR is not a cartridge of the Old West (came out in the 1890s), so that might be a factor, but if that's their reason, then they'd have to ban 357s and 38s and 44 mags and no 45 Colt in rifles, either, since the 45 Colt wasn't chambered in rifles, in those days. More likely, though, is that the very mild to shoot 22 LR might give a competitor an advantage. Same reason that in modern action shooting, scores are sometimes weighted based on the cartridge you shoot.

As to local groups, really varies as to how strict they are. Our local group often allows 22 LR rifles in some open-to-the public matches as a way to get people to try the sport. Our local group is always trying to recruit new members and have even asked me to join. (Not my style of shooting, so I declined.) Great folks. Know many of them. They have a hard time getting new members because of the expense of buying all the guns to compete. As shooting sports go, cowboy action is one of the more expensive.
2 x

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:52 am

As to local groups, really varies as to how strict they are.
Ditto this - when I was looking into it my local group was pretty lax and I was WECLOMED to a shoot. Outfitted with a rig & long guns to do a introductory shoot. All I had at the time for levers was a Winchester Trapper & a 30-30 so I was looking into having to start out like a newbee but it wasn't cost or the attitude that stopped me - but my attendance at a local club meeting the following week that 'killed' it for me.
Have you hear of Lever Action Silhouette? We don't get dressed up, have funny names or speed shooting.
Yes I have and unfortunately none around where I live. Our most excellent range (Central Oregon Shooting Sports) has nearly EVERY comp there is - except lever action! Not many ranges around where I live (really only two in about a 100 mile radius) due to distances and the opportunity we have to shoot in the National Forests literally out our front door.
0 x

Liberty
Tenderfoot
United States of America

Post by Liberty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:23 pm

Thank you for the input. I probably won't chase SASS, because I can't afford to compete with those larger cal guns.
Too rich for me.
0 x
You learn very little the second time you get kicked by a horse.

I love my Henry Silver Eagle H004SEM!

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:53 pm

A lot of it had to do with the fact a lot of the members of my local CAS were not really gun owners, or had much experience with them.
For many it was their first experience with shooting and CAS was more of another 'social' avenue to show off their money and do something different.
Some members were like 'me' and were experienced long term gun owners, hunters, shooters etc. but it seemed the majority were members for other reasons.
I expected more long term gun owners who were interested in history and maybe just trying to relive a bit of it but the actual shooting competitions seemed to be more of a 'by product' and not the primary intent - which was obviously who could spend more money and own 'actual' Colt guns along with how much they could spend to adorn themselves in the finest late 1800s apparel.
Also I am NOT competitive by nature and timed events are not for me.
I have spoken with others who experienced the same and felt if one was already into other shooting sports, hunting, reloading etc. basically active in other gun arenas then CAS might not be for them/us.
2 x

Cowboy Gun Fan
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Cowboy Gun Fan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:24 pm

We have a SASS not far from here and I checked into it. The first thing I wanted to do is just watch. I researched online and noticed it had a lot of strict and awkward rules and did not seem very welcoming to visitors.

I ended up just forgetting about it.
3 x
NRA Member

Ojaileveraction
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by Ojaileveraction » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:34 pm

Here is a Google map of Silhouette shooting ranges.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... 7031&msa=0
1 x
Pax at Justitia

Mistered
Drover
United States of America

Post by Mistered » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:41 pm

I rest my case.

I have been an owner and shooter of levers and single action guns from before CAS was organized and when I first learned of it initially I was hoping it would be an avenue for a guy who had grown up watching Roy Rogers, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, etc. and maybe be able to release a little bit of that 'swagger' but apparently not.
2 x

RanchRoper
Forum Ambassador
Canada

Post by RanchRoper » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:30 pm

SASS has LOTS of members and clubs all over, if that is your interest, call one up and check it out. Can't hurt. From the photos I have seen they seem to have a lot of fun, but as with any competitive sport, there is usually some politics to navigate. Just need to keep that in mind.
1 x
1860 Colt SA Richards Conversion Revolver .45C
1860 Henry .45C
1885 High Wall .45C
1820-1840 Frontier Percussion .50
1790-1820 Frontier Flintlock .50

Ohkínohkomit - Shoot skillfully