Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Making Buffalo Nickle Chicago Screws

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Making Buffalo Nickle Chicago Screws

Post by Handloader » Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:37 am

First, I put the nickel in a wooden block which I have made a depression in with Forstner bits. Then I use a ball peen hammer put it on the nickel and hit the hammer with another hammer while wearing safety glasses. Then I take the concave nickel and put it on a fire brick and flux the nickel and female face of the chicago screw. Center it on the nickel and use silver solder with a fine tip map/oxy tourch let it cool. Then take a wire SST brush and clean it up. To make snaps use the same process except place the male end on the nickel. You can use this process for just about anything from copper to SST.
Attachments
bfcs1.jpg
bfcs1.jpg (709.63 KiB) Viewed 556 times
bfcs2.jpg
bfcs2.jpg (753.5 KiB) Viewed 556 times
bfcs3.jpg
bfcs3.jpg (728.9 KiB) Viewed 556 times
bfcs4.jpg
bfcs4.jpg (645.32 KiB) Viewed 556 times
bfcs5.jpg
bfcs5.jpg (337.62 KiB) Viewed 556 times
6 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Making Buffalo Nickle Chicago Screws

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:36 pm

Thanks for the tip. I was lucky enough to come across some leather accessories at a surplus store, and made an offer on three trays. The seller was trying to sell the items individually. He could have eventually, but... it would have taken years. I managed to buy all three trays for $100. Anyone who has bought these things knows the value. Any one of the trays far exceeded that $100. Much of the content was still in the packages, and I only cut them open and sorted them to get some organization. The conchos alone were worth twice what I paid. :lol:

one.jpg
one.jpg (466.59 KiB) Viewed 546 times
two.jpg
two.jpg (355.12 KiB) Viewed 546 times
three.jpg
three.jpg (392.35 KiB) Viewed 546 times

I also found rivet and snap setting tools mixed in with the rest.
I have used a lot of the snaps and rivets, and used the jeweled accents on a pouch for the granddaughter and a sheath for the wife.
:)

I think I'll try your technique on a coin or two for accents on gunbelts and sheaths. I have some extra collectable coins, and some challenge coins I could mount. A piece of leather across the coin should protect the finish. :roll:
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:18 pm

I have done other items the same way. If doing coins make sure the depression is the same size as the coin and to the depression, you need. I found forstner bits make a great graduated hole. I also have an arbor press that works great for larger coins. I made several half rounds by cutting large bearings in half which makes a perfect divot. I made a silver dollar belt buckle for a guy and wish I had a picture.
0 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:52 pm

I don't have an arbor press, but Miss T is pretty smart and suggested using my large Jett Drill press. I'll find the correct bolt to fit one of my 123 blocks and mount that in the chuck and put the block on the work platform on the press and then use the leverage offered by the press to mold the coin in the proper sized forstner hole in the block. Should work... LOL.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:53 pm

I grew up in farm country and we called that the farmer's shade tree fix.
0 x