Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Made an anvil

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Made an anvil

Post by Handloader » Mon Jan 01, 2024 5:35 pm

It was at the end of the year in metal shop in 1969. The teacher told us we had to design a metal project and would be marked on style and the use of everyday materials. I lived on depot lane and there was an old RR track that was still in place behind our house. Me and 30+ hack saw blades cut an 8" chunk of the track out. I then cut the base to the shape of an anvil with a cutting torch. I then took a grinder and finished the top. I currently use it while leather working installing snaps and rivets. Oh, I did get a 100 on the project. This thing has been with me in all my duty stations including Cuba. I did recently used gun bluing for the surface top.
Attachments
anvil.jpg
anvil.jpg (583.48 KiB) Viewed 681 times
8 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: Made an anvil

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:06 pm

Very Nice. I have a number of vices I use the back of for that. Looked at an anvil at the leather shop the other day... outrageously expensive. I would like to find a small fifteen or twenty pounder for the leather bench.
1 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Tue Jan 02, 2024 12:30 am

My anvil still looks like a piece of RR track. You did good on yours.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

Handloader
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Handloader » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:57 am

BrokenolMarine wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 8:06 pm
Very Nice. I have a number of vices I use the back of for that. Looked at an anvil at the leather shop the other day... outrageously expensive. I would like to find a small fifteen or twenty pounder for the leather bench.
I have a 50 pounder in mt garage that I picked up 30 years ago for 25 bucks. I make cold steel chisels and other things on it.
0 x
Semper Paratus (Always Ready) Semper Gumby (Always Flexible)

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:32 am

That’s really nice and a lot of metal to remove the way you did it. Reminds me of an anvil I used to have. When my wife’s uncle got sick he gave me his anvil which was mounted along with a nice sized vise on a low steel table. Had a guy on the local guntrader site looking for an anvil and I traded it to him for a Leopold scope. Now the funny part, he took one look at it and said that it was made from a railroad tie just like yours pictured above. Dumb me didn’t know that. Made the trade anyway and the Leopold scope is still with me.
0 x

John M
Wrangler
New Zealand

Post by John M » Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:23 pm

20240105_112838.jpg
20240105_112838.jpg (1.25 MiB) Viewed 629 times
I use one that came with some reloading gear from a deceased estate.
0 x