Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Could I impose on your time to give me an opinion?

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Could I impose on your time to give me an opinion?

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:25 am

I'm diligently working on getting book one out. There is so much to learn and cover for it to be published. One of the looming issues is what is called the book blurb. I'm looking for nonauthor input, I know that sounds a bit odd, but I've found authors often make for the worst advice as they often want things in their style, not the style of the person they are reviewing.

Sometimes, it is on the inside jacket of a hardback, the back cover of a paperback, or on a display page of a web browser.

These blurbs are not so much a summary but an enticement of what is in the book. They range from 100 to 300 words usually. The ones that I like have been shorter, closer to that 100 mark than 200 or even 300.

So, I have a blurb I've been working on for the first of my five-book series. It is Science fiction/fantasy and will be under the categories of Science fiction/fantasy, technothriller, and alternate history.

Here is the cover,

Here is my proposed blurb:
It has been seven years since I was injured on a mission workup, which cost me my career in the Compact Military.

Adding insult to that injury, the past two years of recovery since the failure of the Dillon Dimensional Gate have been a harsh lesson.

Thankfully, a brother from my days in the mud and the blood has offered me a new purpose in life while allowing me to pilot again. And I have found her: my siren, my love, who grounds me in my humanity as I forge mankind's path on new worlds.

With the aid of new friends and old allies, I unravel the mystery of my past and the tragedy for which I am implicated.
Does this blurb fit the cover?

Does it spark your interest?

What sticks out about the cover and blurb?

Is there anything that doesn't fit in the blurb?

Do you need more information in the blurb?
0 x

Cofisher
Drover
United States of America

Re: Could I impose on your time to give me an opinion?

Post by Cofisher » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:18 pm

Yeah, I'd read that. Not enough there to really critique. Good luck.
1 x
Remember, it's not how many guns you have. It's how many bullets you have.

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:34 pm

Interesting request. Here is my opinion.
The blurb mentions many things which are obviously in the book(s). The cover art shows me a man and some robots about to set off on a mission.
It sparks my interest.
The cover has a stunning mountain landscape. It appears to show the man starting a journey. The blurb covers a lot of ground.
The part about unraveling the mystery of his past doesn't fit the rest of the blurb to me.
The blurb and the cover art don't seem to have much to do with each other. More relating to the cover art in the blurb help.

I applaud your seeking of advice here. Since we are all friends here, I know any responses are only meant to help.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:20 pm

Not my cup of tea.

RP
0 x
Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care". :lol:

Ain't No Apologies for My Temperament :shock:
Si vis pacem, para bellum
H001, H006, H012

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:55 pm

daytime dave wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 12:34 pm
Interesting request. Here is my opinion.
The blurb mentions many things which are obviously in the book(s). The cover art shows me a man and some robots about to set off on a mission.
It sparks my interest.
The cover has a stunning mountain landscape. It appears to show the man starting a journey. The blurb covers a lot of ground.
The part about unraveling the mystery of his past doesn't fit the rest of the blurb to me.
The blurb and the cover art don't seem to have much to do with each other. More relating to the cover art in the blurb help.

I applaud your seeking of advice here. Since we are all friends here, I know any responses are only meant to help.
This is very helpful.
0 x

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:55 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:20 pm
Not my cup of tea.

RP
In what ways?

0 x

The Wiz
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by The Wiz » Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 pm

The cover is great. It evokes the heroic mission that you are writing about. The blurb confuses me especially the third paragraph. Who is the siren? How is she or him connected?It seems to me something is missing. I read a lot of S/f over my 70 yrs and if the blurb does not grab me, the book goes back on the shelf. Perhaps go to the library look at Heinlein,Clarke,Asimov or more currently Webber or Abercrombie and see if you pick up some ideas. Hope this helps.
1 x
Vietnam, Cambodia, DMZ
101st Airborne, Recon. ( Where in the heck are we?)
25th Inf. Div.2/22 Inf. Reg.(mech.)
Sgt., U.S. Army, Sniper

S&W Model 67
Uberti 1851 Navy Conv.
Uberti 1873 Bisley
Henry .357 Carbine CCH
Henry SGR .22
Taurus 856

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:19 pm

DsGrouse wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:55 pm
Vaquero wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 2:20 pm
Not my cup of tea.

RP
In what ways?

None of the above, as soon as I saw the cover I immediately scrolled past.
Not interested in that type of read.

Good luck to ya.

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012

DsGrouse
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by DsGrouse » Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:33 pm

Vaquero wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 6:19 pm

None of the above, as soon as I saw the cover I immediately scrolled past.
Not interested in that type of read.

Good luck to ya.

RP
Thank you, That brings up more questions if you don't mind. Is there something that put you off on the cover making it, not the type of book you would be interested in? or is Science fiction/fantasy (be it hard science or soft) not the type of book you enjoy reading?
The Wiz wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 4:43 pm
The cover is great. It evokes the heroic mission that you are writing about. The blurb confuses me especially the third paragraph. Who is the siren? How is she or him connected?It seems to me something is missing. I read a lot of S/f over my 70 yrs and if the blurb does not grab me, the book goes back on the shelf. Perhaps go to the library look at Heinlein,Clarke,Asimov or more currently Webber or Abercrombie and see if you pick up some ideas. Hope this helps.

To be honest, I've never been a blurb reader. I open the book and read the first few pages. Up until last week, I did not realize most people read the back cover/interior cover flap blurb. I've been searching many of the old books I've read, most of the author's you mentioned. Older books rarely have a blurb on line. Mostly they have a summary of the reasons why the books is good. Newer authors have a blurb, but online sales often blend it with the larger publican summary.

So weeding out the blurb from a summary has been difficult. Your not the first to mention the love interest as being confusing. I may drop that.

I'm working on a version focusing on Daytime Dave's comment about tying the cover to the blurb. I might have been too vague and too broad in my blurb. Thanks for all your input, I've two more test blurbs I'm playing around with. I'll put one together with Dave's suggestions and post here.
0 x

Vaquero
Ranch Boss
United States of America

Post by Vaquero » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:20 pm

Thank you, That brings up more questions if you don't mind. Is there something that put you off on the cover making it, not the type of book you would be interested in? or is Science fiction/fantasy (be it hard science or soft) not the type of book you enjoy reading?

Exactly, don't care about fantasy or Si fi.
If I'm going to read fiction, I prefer espionage or a western, not that there are that much of the later anymore.
I liked the Tom Clancy stuff quite a bit, but I really don't read as much as I used to.

RP
1 x

H001, H006, H012