Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

DeWalt Tools

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Re: DeWalt Tools

Post by dave77 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:21 pm

I've not replaced batteries in any of my cordless tools (currently Metabo, which was Hitachi) with off brand batteries but have replaced the battery in my Dyson vacuum with an aftermarket battery (for about a quarter of the price of one from Dyson) over a year ago and it seems to be performing at well as the original battery.
0 x

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 01, 2023 12:41 am

dave77 wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 11:21 pm
I've not replaced batteries in any of my cordless tools (currently Metabo, which was Hitachi) with off brand batteries but have replaced the battery in my Dyson vacuum with an aftermarket battery (for about a quarter of the price of one from Dyson) over a year ago and it seems to be performing at well as the original battery.
A while back I went looking for a Dyson replacement battery on Amazon. Lots of them offered there. All off brand. None of the batteries that would fit my version of the Dyson had any kind of certification. When I looked through the reviews, some people said they were great, others said they had a very short service life and a few others posted pictures of burned up Dyson vacs due to a battery fire.

Rechargeable battery certification is expensive and samples are required to be recertified annually as is the factory they are manufactured in. The cost of all that is added to the battery price and the main reason they are more expensive than off brand.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Sun Oct 01, 2023 9:51 am

Although I haven't needed it, I found that you can have the battery packs rebuilt with new cells for about half of the cost of a new battery. I believe that they were the same as the regular batteries when finished. This was done at a battery place.

On another note, I have several batteries for my DeWalt products. I even have three of the 20v / 60v batteries as I bought a portable compressor. It's handy as all get out and the batteries work with all the 20v items I have. I put one on the 12 inch chain saw and love it.
Some times there are specials where you get a 5amp 20v battery for free if you by the bare tool. That usually makes it very reasonable.

Early on, I did buy a pair of after market 5 Amp hour batteries. Afterwards, I read the same information that Mags has spoken about here. While they still function, I don't trust them with heavy duty applications. I always remain in the vicinity when they are on the charger.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:15 pm

Most of my battery operated tools are Milwaukee and Craftsman. I have one battery operated 60v huge Dewalt drill. I think it's intended use is to stir mortar and concrete in a bucket. I haven't used it for that. Instead I have a couple of auger bits for drilling holes in the ground. Holes for planting plants and post holes for a privacy fence. I was amazed at how much power it has. As for charging any of the batteries for my tools I don't trust them or the chargers. Most often I set a timer for estimated charging time and get the battery off the charger as soon as possible. I almost never leave a battery on the charger after the battery is fully charged.
1 x
UPDATES: OR passes 114, "one of strictest gun control measures in U.S." https://henryrifleforums.com/viewtopic. ... 34#p213234

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:24 pm

My Metabo charger has a fan to keep the battery cool during charging, not seen that on any of my previous chargers.
0 x

Sir Henry
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by Sir Henry » Sun Oct 01, 2023 11:48 pm

Thanks guys. Lots of good information here.
0 x
Hi, my name is Gene and I'm a Henryholic from Wisconsin.

Range Reporter: Henry Repeater

daytime dave
Administrator / Owner
United States of America

Post by daytime dave » Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:45 am

dave77 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 2:24 pm
My Metabo charger has a fan to keep the battery cool during charging, not seen that on any of my previous chargers.
I have a quick charger for the 20v / 60v batteries that has a fan also. The 10 amp hour 20v batteries for the lawn mower each have a very slow charger. That packs in as much charge as possible. I don't set a timer, but I do check often and take the battery off the charger when it is done.
1 x
Some days I'm Andy, most days I'm Barney........
Eaglescout, NRA Life Endowment member, BCCI Life Member

Mags
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Mags » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:58 pm

dave77 wrote:
My Dewalt, EGO and Milwaukee chargers have fans. My Craftsmans do not.
0 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:04 pm

I needed more pipe tools than DeWalt has so it was Milwaukee for me but I did use DeWalt exclusively for years. We use these tool in real world work environments and they get abused. The drills last way longer not that they all have a small impact that really drives screws and other fasteners.

The batteries are the weak link here as in cars, phones, speakers, laptops, etc.
0 x

dave77
Cowboy
United States of America

Post by dave77 » Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:51 pm

Mags wrote:
Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:58 pm
dave77 wrote:
My Dewalt, EGO and Milwaukee chargers have fans. My Craftsmans do not.
I've only had Craftman's before splurging on some Metabo's. I'm especially impressed with the ¼" impact driver, 3 torque settings and I've never really had to use the highest setting. The circular saw is a full size 7¼" blade and requires the 36 volt battery. It will cut 2" lumber almost as easily as my corded circular saw. I've since added a oscillating saw and a small blower.

1 x