Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

Motorhome testing

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Motorhome testing

Post by Hatchdog » Mon Jun 12, 2023 11:01 am

Slowly but surely we’re working thru all the tasks of converting to a Motorhome from a trailer. So yesterday I hooked the boat up to it for a trial run. I had three concerns that were put to rest.

My driveway is steep and is a nearly 180 degree turn to the exit of our community. When towing anything I have to turn the opposite direction and go about a quarter mile up to the end of the road where there is a cul d’sac where I can turn around and head to the exit. With the extended wheelbase of the Motorhome v my pickup I wasn’t sure I could make the turn while towing the boat. Made it with room to spare!

With the steep gravel driveway I wasn’t sure the Moho would keep traction with the extra weight of the boat. Buzzed right up without spinning a tire!

Thirdly I was a bit concerned backing the boat with the long wheelbase and how the boat would react to corrections. I went down the road a couple of miles the the high school to use the large parking lot (Sunday, no school). While using this large parking lot is not a real world comparison to a narrower boat launch I was able to target a specific location to back the boat too and found it wasn’t too difficult. One discovery is when the boat is aligned strait with the Moho I can’t see it in either mirror. I do have a rear camera that helps a lot but after all these years of mirror backing it’s a bit of a challenge to remember to look at the camera monitor. I’ll get used to it with time of course.

All in all a good day and this coming Sunday we leave for six days up on the Columbia River (Lake Roosevelt) for camping and fishing.

IMG_4048.jpeg
IMG_4048.jpeg (5.86 MiB) Viewed 2271 times
2 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Re: Motorhome testing

Post by BigAl52 » Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:52 pm

Just a thought Ive seen guys in this situation put a hitch on the front to launch the boat. I realize that makes you hook and unhook but if it becomes difficult to do it the way you have it set up then that might be an answer.
1 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H001T .22LR MONUMENT VALLEY
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

John E Davies
Cattle Driver
United States of America

Post by John E Davies » Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:57 pm

Carry some tall bright flags for your guide tubes, put them in while prepping for launch, that will make it a little wider and a whole lot easier to see in your mirrors. Offroad ATV orange ones would probably be easiest. Pro+Powersports in town will have them.

IMG_3747.jpeg
IMG_3747.jpeg (1.33 MiB) Viewed 2264 times

Nice boat.

John Davies
Spokane WAa
2 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:22 am

Thanks Al and John, both great suggestions.
0 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Wed Jun 21, 2023 10:40 am

Did my first boat launch with the motorhome and it went very well. Nice that the launch was not busy so I was able to really take my time. Forgot to take a pic but will do so today if this rain ever stops. Breaking and resetting camp wasn’t too bad since we don’t have to go above 5 mph to get to the launch we didn’t have to stow a bunch of stuff.
1 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:13 am

“Second verse (launch) same as the first” I’m getting kinda of good at this so something bad is due to happen. :lol: Remembered to take pics yesterday.

IMG_4061.jpeg
IMG_4061.jpeg (3.96 MiB) Viewed 2164 times
IMG_4062.jpeg
IMG_4062.jpeg (3.15 MiB) Viewed 2164 times

From the water looking back at the launch

IMG_4063.jpeg
IMG_4063.jpeg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 2164 times
1 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:51 am

Ya but are you catchin any fish
0 x
Don't worry about getting older and still doing stupid stuff. You'll do the stupid stuff as always, only much slower. Hold my beer and watch this.......

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:46 am

BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:51 am
What’s a fish? :lol: For the first time since we bought the boat we were skunked. We fished for trout for a couple of days and then switched to walleye. Negative on both. Spoke with a couple of others who had some success with the walleyes but both said the bite was slower than usual. I’m not very well set up or knowledgeable on walleye so I’m going to do some learning and get the proper tackle.

Had a great time regardless.
0 x

BigAl52
Forum Ambassador
United States of America

Post by BigAl52 » Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:32 am

Hatchdog wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:46 am
BigAl52 wrote:
Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:51 am
What’s a fish? :lol: For the first time since we bought the boat we were skunked. We fished for trout for a couple of days and then switched to walleye. Negative on both. Spoke with a couple of others who had some success with the walleyes but both said the bite was slower than usual. I’m not very well set up or knowledgeable on walleye so I’m going to do some learning and get the proper tackle.

Had a great time regardless.
Only time I fished for those walleye we used leeches and bottom rigs in about 15 feet of water. That was at Glendo reservoir in Glendo Wyoming. We caught quite a few of them. Had to throw some back because they werent the right size. But for me catchin fish is always comedy show because I seem to have a lot of reel issues. I do like to catch walleye though as eating trout to me is garbage compared to walleye.
0 x

H001T .22LR
H003T PUMP .22LR
BBS .41 MAG
SS .357
SIDE GATE 38-55

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sat Jun 24, 2023 9:10 am

The shallow lakes (warm water temp) around the Spokane area which are stocked with trout by the game dept. do produce “muddy” tasting fish. As a kid and young adult we fished these lakes and I remember not being impressed with them on the table. Now these Rainbow trout we fish for in Lake Roosevelt are net pen raised and fed shrimp. Also there is a large supply of micro shrimp in the lake they feed on. These are great tasting fish and always have firm very red meat. The reservoir is very deep and is constantly fed by the cold waters of the Columbia River coming out of Canada. When it warms up the trout go deep, 80 - 100 ft.

I agree walleye’s are great tasting. When younger I used to catch lots just tossing a jig towards shore and bouncing it along the bottom. I’m going to study up on walleye’s using a bottom bouncer as I like to troll rather than anchor and jig.

All in all the first outing of the rv went great, all systems worked as expected and driving it was stress free. I have to get used to the overhang above the cab and how far it extends from side to side. I can see how it might be easy to hit a tree with it particularly in the type of campground we just stayed in. Seems like the Feds won’t cut a tree down to save their a$$. Very narrow turns and when towing something wide turns are necessary. Seems like they want to accommodate the tent campers more than the rvs. This campground is part of the National Park Service.
0 x