Spring has sprung. Get out and shoot your Henry

A Sling For Tina

Post about your hobbies that aren't elsewhere on the forum. Sub forums will be added as needed.
BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

A Sling For Tina

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:23 pm

Well, the holidays are over, projects for everyone else are completed, and it's time to start working on the things I had on MY list. :) Did I say, Finally?
One of those things was a couple nice leather slings. One for Miss T's CZ455 22, and one for my Ruger Ranch 556 coyote getter. Both have slings now, but need nicer slings because... because I'm one who likes leather. I saw a thumbhole sling on my leatherworker's forum, and remembered seeing them years ago. The thumbhole gives you much better control of the firearm over your shoulder... so a couple months ago, I ordered the package of templates.

Here we go, follow along if you like.

The first step is to transfer the templates to the opaque tracing paper. I transferred BOTH the standard sling template and the thumbhole sling template, then started on the carving templates for both.

01 started templates.jpg
01 started templates.jpg (371.55 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

Taking my time, and using a ruler for straight lines where I could, I continued to transfer templates. There were four carving templates for both styles, but I wasn't going to transfer them all. I could always go back. Plus, I had practiced the basketweave I liked and I'm thinking of basketweave for MY sling.

02 templates.jpg
02 templates.jpg (510.13 KiB) Viewed 1955 times

The machinist's blocks seen in the picture weigh about a pound each, and keep the template and the transfer paper from moving. They can be used for all sorts of things. I think I might buy a second set.

03 transfer paper.jpg
03 transfer paper.jpg (293.76 KiB) Viewed 1955 times
5 x
You can tell a lot about the character of a man...
by the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Re: A Sling For Tina

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:32 pm

I hinted at practicing for the basket weave for MY sling. I spent a couple hours here and there on a practice panel. I'll either do the basket weave or a quilted background. This is the basket weave practice panel. I like the color and finish as well as the technique I used on the edge to mimic a frame.

07 bw practice.jpg
07 bw practice.jpg (537.71 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

I set my strap cutter for a cut just a bit wider than the widest point of the thumbhole sling pattern and cut two passes on the good leather. Slow and steady gives you a good result.

04 pulled two rough cuts.jpg
04 pulled two rough cuts.jpg (419.2 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

To transfer the design from the tracing paper, you wet the leather then place the paper OVER the leather and go over the design with a sharp pencil, stylus, or any pointed tool. An awl will work as well.

05 transfer done.jpg
05 transfer done.jpg (609.59 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

The next step is to overlay your tooling pattern of choice in the proper location in the transferred sling pattern. This gives you your carving template for the shoulder area on your sling. Miss T will like the feathers pattern.

06 carving template.jpg
06 carving template.jpg (410.44 KiB) Viewed 1954 times
3 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:35 pm

I sharpened and polished my swivel knife and cut in the lines. Slow and steady, but I still slipped a bit. No matter. I'll make it work. ;)

08 lines cut in.jpg
08 lines cut in.jpg (494.32 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

Then I went to work with the fine blade and added details to the feathers, and beveled the edges. Still a ways to go, and some backgrounding to do.
I may add more carving on the straps.

09 beveled.jpg
09 beveled.jpg (577.81 KiB) Viewed 1954 times

:)
5 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:38 pm

Much more to come... watch this space. :D
1 x

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:26 pm

Got out in the shop for a couple hours today, in spite of a nagging headache hiding in the recesses. I was able to work on the background, doing some shading and depth work... some additional detail and sharpen some edges. When I finally hit this with some oil or natural stain, it should pop.

10 background and accent work.jpg
10 background and accent work.jpg (488.43 KiB) Viewed 1917 times

I am reminded why one doesn't do detail work under the lights wearing an optivisor magnifier when you have a nagging headache. :roll:
It turns that nagging headache into a raging migraine. :twisted: Well, duh. ;)
3 x

Hatchdog
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by Hatchdog » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:38 am

It’s amazing how you make a 2D pattern and convert it to 3D.

“Pops” is too mild of a word to describe this transformation but I can’t think of a better word.
:D
0 x

Luv the lever
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by Luv the lever » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:40 am

wow!
0 x

MuddyWaters62
Cowhand
United States of America

Post by MuddyWaters62 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:20 pm

I sure do like that feather design. I am becoming more a bird watcher than anything else. Very good workmanship.

Muddy Waters69
0 x

brm4450
Drover
United States of America

Post by brm4450 » Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:07 pm

BE5011D6-29FB-414C-B6AD-19B2EEEF2DCE.gif
BE5011D6-29FB-414C-B6AD-19B2EEEF2DCE.gif (287.1 KiB) Viewed 1891 times
0 x
H012C, 2 H004V, H001TMER, H004SV, H001TV, H001TLB, H003T, H005MG, H001V, H001TLP, Rossi Ranch Hand, Uberti 1860, Ubérti 1866 Goldenboy
"when you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk" Tuco

BrokenolMarine
Ranch Foreman
United States of America

Post by BrokenolMarine » Mon Jan 16, 2023 5:17 pm

My last two work sessions were high pucker factors. Session one was the worst. It was time to cut out the sling. A slip of the knife could ruin all the previous work and I'd have to start over. :o I sharpened the knife, as a sharp knife is MUCH easier to cut with, then settled in for a slow and steady cut. Holding my breath, I began cutting. It took a while as I kept the knuckles in contact with the bench for control and went ever ... so ... slow.

11 first coat of natural oil.jpg
11 first coat of natural oil.jpg (459.51 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

After I cut out the sling... ;) ... and didn't ruin it.... I applied the first coat of Watco Natural Oil. I let it dry overnight. It returned almost to the light finish we started with, as you can see above. I knew I really wanted the carving to pop. Second pucker factor. I poured a bit of light brown dye in a cup, and with a fine point detail brush, dyed the background.

12 dyed the background.jpg
12 dyed the background.jpg (433.53 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

Here is a closer look. I will put on the resistant coat of finish once that dye is completely dry, then apply the mink oil to insure flexibility over time. Then we'll antique the sling. That should bring out all the detail the carving introduced to the tooling. Then it's a matter of a couple coats of finish, and several coats of wax.

13 closer look.jpg
13 closer look.jpg (512.85 KiB) Viewed 1855 times

Well, that, and drilling the holes for the chicago screws to attach the swivels and making the loops to hold the sling flat at the folds. But, nearly done.
4 x